ASR exhaust valve controller

And to put the SSA is it simple like the rest of the connections or do you have to take it to a different place? So if I turn off the car in dynamic, when starting it continues in dynamic but the valves won't open if I don't do it with the lever twice? I still don't have the car and I don't know if stopping it saves the driving mode, if it doesn't save it and you have to take it to dinamic or performance, they would open without the need for SSS, right?
SSA is the auto stop/start that shuts the engine off at junctions etc, If you are ok with your engine stopping and starting or cant be bothered pressing the button in the centre consul to stop it working then buy the SSA as well, I believe the SSA wire installation is a little more complex than just the ASR module which just goes in the passenger footwell area :)

They have to open up the dash a bit to fit the SSA element.

TX.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

If I always disable start stop, I don't need the ssa?

The only difference would be that you wouldn’t have to press the button each time you got in to turn it off basically, it would just stay of until you manually turned it back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question re the standard exhaust valve behaviour. Feel like this has been covered already so apologies…

Does going from comfort to dynamic etc change the valve behaviour at all or just it just alter the rpm?

Reactions: Daggerit
Question re the standard exhaust valve behaviour. Feel like this has been covered already so apologies…

Does going from comfort to dynamic etc change the valve behaviour at all or just it just alter the rpm?

Dynamic or RS Performance will open the valves fully as well as raising the revs. If you put the transmission in S it will do the same at any point.

Or you can just open them manually and have the normal revs but with fully open valves.

Reactions: garethdj
Dynamic or RS Performance will open the valves fully as well as raising the revs. If you put the transmission in S it will do the same at any point.

Or you can just open them manually and have the normal revs but with fully open valves.

Thanks!

Going to fit mine tomorrow but just want to double check a couple of things from peoples experiences.

In the instructions it's all done on the left hand side of the car but thats the drivers side for a German car - assuming it's still the left/passenger side for UK car? To stop errors, leave ignition off and door open for 20 mins. Should I lock the car and leave it or just leave it unlocked? And battery still connected? Sorry for all the questions!

Going to fit mine tomorrow but just want to double check a couple of things from peoples experiences.

In the instructions it's all done on the left hand side of the car but thats the drivers side for a German car - assuming it's still the left/passenger side for UK car? To stop errors, leave ignition off and door open for 20 mins. Should I lock the car and leave it or just leave it unlocked? And battery still connected? Sorry for all the questions!

Always left side so for Uk it’s passenger footwell
Do not lock it, leave it to power down with the passenger door ajar.

Yes you can leave battery connected.

Reactions: RS03??? and Daggerit
Always left side so for Uk it’s passenger footwell
Do not lock it, leave it to power down with the passenger door ajar.

Yes you can leave battery connected.

Legend, thank you. Looking forward to hearing the difference!

Reactions: RS03??? and Daggerit
Worth noting that revving from stationary really doesn't do the controller justice. When you're driving about you can definitely notice the difference and I'm really happy with it.

Thinking about potential for a custom exhaust of sorts if it's possible to keep the valve function

Reactions: Mike.46 and Daggerit
On that note, does anyone know what the internals of the backbox look like? Are there separate chambers for the piping that comes out via the valves?

Hi,
I want to order a ASR controller but their website is a bit quirky I’ve managed to fill out form etc but I cannot find UK in the drop down box it’s not listed ?

Hi,
I want to order a ASR controller but their website is a bit quirky I’ve managed to fill out form etc but I cannot find UK in the drop down box it’s not listed ?

Drop Daniel Koch an email , he will sort this out for you

info@asr-component.de

Great stuff , managed to order now so just got to wait for delivery, hopefully not as long as the car : )

Hello, I am mounting the RX1 and I do not see clearly where the ground terminal is placed. There are videos of the assembly or only the manual with images.

Hello, I am mounting the RX1 and I do not see clearly where the ground terminal is placed. There are videos of the assembly or only the manual with images.
There's a stud on the sill that I removed the nut on (10 mm spanner I think) and put it on that if I remember rightly.

Under what circumstances do that valves open normally? And do they open fully normally?
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I think they open 'dynamically' over certain RPMs and all the time when in Dynamic or RS Performance modes (because the transmission is in 'S', which I think is generally the driver for the valves). By dynamically I mean that they're not necessarily fully open, I think that they still choose how open they will be with some amount of variability.

With the ASR when they're open they're actually fully open, the main thing for me is that you can have them set full open while burbling around in Auto or Comfort modes and the gearbox in D rather than S.

I don't understand where it says
When you pull the plastics back that run along the inside of the door sill there's a stud there with a nut and some wires earthed to it, use that one. I can't find the instructions online but if you have a copy, post a picture of the page you're confused about and we can try to help.

I can't say with 100% certainty, but I think they open 'dynamically' over certain RPMs and all the time when in Dynamic or RS Performance modes (because the transmission is in 'S', which I think is generally the driver for the valves). By dynamically I mean that they're not necessarily fully open, I think that they still choose how open they will be with some amount of variability.

With the ASR when they're open they're actually fully open, the main thing for me is that you can have them set full open while burbling around in Auto or Comfort modes and the gearbox in D rather than S.

There's a "D"? :)

Also, shame you can't store the fact you want the gearbox to be in manual in the Individual settings.

• Haha
When you pull the plastics back that run along the inside of the door sill there's a stud there with a nut and some wires earthed to it, use that one. I can't find the instructions online but if you have a copy, post a picture of the page you're confused about and we can try to help.
Can you mark where you say?

Attachments

• IMG_20230710_114113.jpg
    IMG_20230710_114113.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 86
There's a "D"? :)

Also, shame you can't store the fact you want the gearbox to be in manual in the Individual settings.
Yeah, my wife told me to find it after being in the car a few times with me. :tearsofjoy:

It would be handy to remember the setting but I imagine that it's probably some sort of EU emissions thing or something, don't know. Suppose it only takes one flick of a paddle to get it into M at least.

cf27d245ce2740776b4a6d75b0cfdf71.jpg

As far as I remember that’s the one I used. Unscrewed it and slipped the cable over it.

Thank you very much, it is the perfect place yes. And can the module be hidden in the lower side molding or do you have to put it where the fuse box is?

Thank you very much, it is the perfect place yes. And can the module be hidden in the lower side molding or do you have to put it where the fuse box is?
I just plugged it in and then cable tied it to the wiring and hid behind the molding to avoid trying to locate in the glovebox (mine is RHD). No issues with it being there at all in the last 7500 miles. :thumbs up:

Reactions: evolaco
I just plugged it in and then cable tied it to the wiring and hid behind the molding to avoid trying to locate in the glovebox (mine is RHD). No issues with it being there at all in the last 7500 miles. :thumbs up:
I already installed it but I don't notice almost any difference, I'll have to try it more but it has been a bit disappointing...

I already installed it but I don't notice almost any difference, I'll have to try it more but it has been a bit disappointing...
You have to actually activate it first if it's the same as the CB2 module, but I don't know for sure if it's required on yours. If you have the door open and rev it in both states there is a noticeable difference, so if you can't hear it then maybe something isn't working right.

you'll hear the valve opening as you press the button to activate it.

you'll hear the valve opening as you press the button to activate it.
Yes, you can hear me, I just don't notice almost any difference from going in a sports node and with the module with the valves always open.

Yes, you can hear me, I just don't notice almost any difference from going in a sports node and with the module with the valves always open.

If you already have the valves open and then put it in sports mode there won’t be any difference in sound because they’re already fully open. Is that what you mean?

In dynamic they are open at idle then they close as you pull away only to open again at 4k revs or so. When not in dynamic they just aren't open at all.

As you say with the valve control they are open all the time which is why it makes a difference.

TX.

In dynamic they are open at idle then they close as you pull away only to open again at 4k revs or so. When not in dynamic they just aren't open at all.

As you say with the valve control they are open all the time which is why it makes a difference.

TX.

Happy to be corrected, I just presumed they were more open in dynamic and RS Performance. As you say though, most definitely fully open with the ASR.

Ok, in the morning, once I've selected S1/M1 the exhaust sounds pretty loud (and pretty good). Then after20-30 feet of driving, it settles back to normal "half-loud".

Is this the exhaust flaps being held open and what the car will sound like with this controller or is it the wastegate being held open to warm up the cats quicker therefore the controller won't do much?

Ok, in the morning, once I've selected S1/M1 the exhaust sounds pretty loud (and pretty good). Then after20-30 feet of driving, it settles back to normal "half-loud".

Is this the exhaust flaps being held open and what the car will sound like with this controller or is it the wastegate being held open to warm up the cats quicker therefore the controller won't do much?
If it's the cold start you're talking about, with the raised revs, then there's not much you can do about keeping that level I don't think.

I definitely find that the valves being open is far more noticeable once there's a little load on the engine. At idle it's quite hard to tell the difference (a little rev will definitely tell you though), but once on the move and with some acceleration you can tell the valves are open. It's never going to be as shouty as cars gone by because of the OPFs and stock exhaust, unfortunately for us.

Yoy would really have to look at what the engine is being told to do whilst on initial start up, It does things like stopping the water pump working until the cyl head gets to 70c, then starts the pump before again stopping it when the temp drops (infuriating on a cold morning when the screen is misting up)

They generally do things like advancing the exhaust cam timing and retarding the ignition timing plus as you have said maybe fully opening the wastegate, in fact anything they can do to heat the cats and OPF's up quicker. Audi are running scared after the last emisssion scandel, hence why the ecu is taking so long to crack

Yoy would really have to look at what the engine is being told to do whilst on initial start up, It does things like stopping the water pump working until the cyl head gets to 70c, then starts the pump before again stopping it when the temp drops (infuriating on a cold morning when the screen is misting up)

They generally do things like advancing the exhaust cam timing and retarding the ignition timing plus as you have said maybe fully opening the wastegate, in fact anything they can do to heat the cats and OPF's up quicker. Audi are running scared after the last emisssion scandel, hence why the ecu is taking so long to crack

I know BMW hold the wastegates open on cold start which makes a huge difference to noise.

Reactions: Mike.46