S3 8p Winter tyres

dmc_s3_8p

Reaction score
After some advice on winter tyres for a 2008 S3 8p.

I was wanting to have a spare set of wheels that I could stick winter tyres on for the winter months in Scotland for some of the less well used roads. I have three questions:

1. Does anyone have a link to some alternative steel wheels that I could buy?
2. For cost reasons, should I be looking at just the front wheels for winter tyres and leaving the rears on the summer tyres. My main concern is stopping and steering on twisty roads with several cm of snow rather than getting stuck.
3. Should I stick to the original 225/40/18 size?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Nokia X20 using Tapatalk

I live in Scotland and this year has been the 1at time i have ever put winter tyres on my car and have to say i do notice a big difference especially in the wet ( as i get little snow being so close to the sea Ayrshire ) so cant give u an honest opinion on that weather condition . Will let you what i have on mine once i head out to car but they are the same tyre aize as summers 225x40x18

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: dmc_s3_8p
The 1's i have in are Michelin green x
9c4750b65c68c7068a935870ac733b0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I would highly recommend winter tyre or use all season in the winter months. I’ve been doing this for years now.
this is the first year I decided to use the Michelin cross climates 2 as my winter tyres and move back to a fresh set of summers in March/April time.
i’m in Fife and snow can vary dramatically. Like yesterday it was almost dry where I was and drove less than 2 miles away and the roads were completely white. The wee flutters of snow we’ve had this winter the cross climates held their own very well and not far off the winter tyres I had last year.
do not mix summer and winter tyres. You will end up with uncontrollable over or under steer depending if you fit the to front or back.
try looking for a second hand set of wheels, as far as I can see the 8p and 8v uses the same size/pcd/offset wheels so plenty to choose from.

Thanks for that. I was semi-worried about mixing summer / winter tyres. We had quite poor snow conditions last Tuesday evening on the A86 with no chance to even lightly touch the brakes without the ABS going insane on summer tyres. I'll check into the 8v wheels.

Sent from my Nokia X20 using Tapatalk

Depends how much you want to spend. I’ve seen good alloys go for around £3-400 without tyres and £700+ with tyres.
sold my last set of wheel with winter tyres for around £700. Tyres had 6mm ish left in them so good for couple of winters depending on your mileage.
when looking at second hand sets with winter tyres make sure tyres have more than 4mm. Below 4mm a winter tyre is not much better than a summer.

I would highly recommend winter tyre or use all season in the winter months. I’ve been doing this for years now.
this is the first year I decided to use the Michelin cross climates 2 as my winter tyres and move back to a fresh set of summers in March/April time.
i’m in Fife and snow can vary dramatically. Like yesterday it was almost dry where I was and drove less than 2 miles away and the roads were completely white. The wee flutters of snow we’ve had this winter the cross climates held their own very well and not far off the winter tyres I had last year.
do not mix summer and winter tyres. You will end up with uncontrollable over or under steer depending if you fit the to front or back.
try looking for a second hand set of wheels, as far as I can see the 8p and 8v uses the same size/pcd/offset wheels so plenty to choose from.
Why not leave the Cross Climate 2‘s on all the time? It’s not like we get much summer here,

Why not leave the Cross Climate 2‘s on all the time? It’s not like we get much summer here,
Prefer a good summer tyre. Cc2 is good but not as good as summer tyres in the dry. Starts losing grip when I drive too enthusiastically. They can be also a bit noisy on certain road surfaces at higher speeds.
think the cc2 will suit most all year round and they are very good but I’ve always had a dedicated summer and winter wheels. Summer wheels are diamond cut so don’t want salt corroding them like almost every diamond cut wheels I’ve ever had. Only got the cc2 this time round instead of proper winter tyres cause wanted to see how good they compared.