S3 brake downgrade

bazil

BOOM BOOM
Reaction score
Hi all, not been on here in a while,
Bit of an odd one but I want to downgrade my S3 disc size to the 288 sport disc size so I can use 16” wheels. I know the calipers are the same but is there any differences in the hub carrier from S3 and 1.8t sport?

Not sure if you have a 16 inch wheel in mind, but the standard S3 calipers and disks will clear certain designs of 16 inch wheels. As an example the European winter steel wheel/ snow tyre option were 16 inch.

Reactions: bazil and desertstorm
As above 312mm discs and calipers should fit behind 16 inch wheels.

Reactions: bazil
Not sure if you have a 16 inch wheel in mind, but the standard S3 calipers and disks will clear certain designs of 16 inch wheels. As an example the European winter steel wheel/ snow tyre option were 16 inch.
That would make my life much easier thanks,
My S3 is no longer fit for the road so it’s drivetrain and floor are being donated to live under my nova GSI bodyshell, the Nova looks ridiculous with 18” wheels and 15” wouldn’t be the best option for the S3 running gear so 16” is the perfect compromise

Would like to see progress pics of this build. Sounds good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would like to see progress pics of this build. Sounds good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll be doing a thread on the nova forum and will update on here too, I’m not doing the fabrication as it’s beyond my abilities, I just came up with the stupid idea and my friend said he’d love to build it

Sounds an interesting project. I've not seen a Nova for years.
133E9370 8B49 400A AA82 AC60F313EEA2

My Astra GSI and nova swing ( it’s getting a 2.0 16v this year) the one in the corner under the cover and wheelbarrow is my GSI shell.

• Love
Reactions: Garrett 69
It's 25 years since I had a Nova. Had 2 in fact. First was a freebie from a mate, 1.0l that was so rotten the front end fell apart when I came to putting a 1.3SR engine in it. Second was a 1.4SRi modded with 1800 Cavalier bottom end (the SRi head bolts straight on), twin Dell'Orto carbs, Kent high lift cams, polished and ported, Scorpion full stainless exhaust. Had it up to 135bhp and it didn't half move! Shame it attracted tin worm faster than humans attract COVID.

It's 25 years since I had a Nova. Had 2 in fact. First was a freebie from a mate, 1.0l that was so rotten the front end fell apart when I came to putting a 1.3SR engine in it. Second was a 1.4SRi modded with 1800 Cavalier bottom end (the SRi head bolts straight on), twin Dell'Orto carbs, Kent high lift cams, polished and ported, Scorpion full stainless exhaust. Had it up to 135bhp and it didn't half move! Shame it attracted tin worm faster than humans attract COVID.
Gotta love a nova, got one when I was 16 and never been out of ownership of one since, I’m 43 now
Bought my GSI when I was 21 and ran it every day for 4 years till I bought my yellow S3 then used the S3 everyday for 14 years

I was going to restore the GSI but when I put the S3 off the road I thought they could be fun to put them together

Reactions: Garrett 69