Central DIS stops working at random and stops the car from reaching sleep mode so battery drains overnight.

Allroader

Audi 3.0 V6 TDIs every time
Reaction score
I've been chasing down the cause of an overnight battery drain, which is centered around whether the DIS display is working when I switch off.

I have a workaround which I'll share with you, but its got more in common with Voodoo than A3 8P electrics. It's also not a solution as it's too much bother for my wife and to be fair virtually anyone else but me.

It started with the bootlock not working then the drivers door lock. These now work fine.

The workround always works if I follow these steps
A. Driver Information System (DIS) is working when I switch off the engine
1. Open driver's door.
2. Switch off and remove key
3. Get out, lock door.
4. Wait around 45 secs until Hazard warning light illumination goes out.
5. Car is now in sleep mode and battery doesn't drain overnight.

B. DIS goes off during last trip or Hazard warning light illumination does NOT go out at all 2+ mins.
1. switch off and remove key
2, lower wheel and pull the dasboard unit out (2 screws have already been removed)
3. Unplug the rear connector and simply reconnect it.
4. Start car to confirm DIS is working again.
5. Follow steps A1 to 5

If anyone knows the reason why the unplug/replug works and how to fix it, please let me know the solution.

The £175 Cartronics are quoting to repair an A3 8P dashboard is appearing ever more reasonable as each day passes.

Last edited:
I reckon your car is prior 05 plates, this is the common fault clusters before 05 face. 175 quid sounds quite reasonable as long as they can guarantee the repair mate

Wysłane z mojego CPH2145 przy użyciu Tapatalka

I reckon your car is prior 05 plates, this is the common fault clusters before 05 face. 175 quid sounds quite reasonable as long as they can guarantee the repair mate

Wysłane z mojego CPH2145 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Thank you
It's a 55 plate but close enough if the stocks were plentiful

Ping me a whatsapp as maybe able to sort this & at same time upgrade the cluster to the newer version.