IT contractor umbrella companies

ScoobyA4

ding dang do
Reaction score
as a contractor, i use an umbrella company for my invoicing and payroll.

well my umbrella co has just gone in to admin and i'm owed over £9k. they have said that they have gone in to admin to aid a financial reorg, and that i will be paid as normal! a financial reorg? admin? that is not the way it should happen in my eyes!!!

for obvious reasons, i'm not a happy man!!!! i dont trust them one little bit. have spoken to my pimp (aka agency) with a view to them withholding all payments that they are due to make late next week, and i will invoice in a different manner. not sure if this can be done.

v miffed off!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's terrible news. You should name and shame the umbrella and whoever recommended them to you! Any particular reason why you're not running your own LTD?

Try http://forums.contractoruk.com/ for moral support and experienced advice.

Prosperity4 by any chance???

I am through Freelance Euro up here in Aberdeen and can't speak highly enough of them!

am already all over that forum pal! :)

only been contracting since March and wanted to find my footing before going fully in! thats why i'm not yet Ltd. this has made my mind up tho.

yep, P4 are the co. i've spoken directly with the official receivers today. they have assured me i will get all monies outstanding. i dont trust them tho...

My boss it thru p4 and he has been told to keep invoicing???

A number of umbrella companies have gone t^ts up recently but Freelance have obviously done their homework....enough plugging!

Good Luck mate anyways!!

I used JSA for several years and found them to be brilliant, and I would recommend them to anyone. Before them I used a company called K&B who were shocking. They messed up the invoicing two months in a row and left me several thousand pounds in debt and were unable/unwilling to do anything about it. Needless to say they didn't get the chance to f*ck things up for a third month.

Hope you get your money.

On the bright side it might be a tax wheeze to stay one step ahead of HMRC... I know they keep closing the loopholes on umbrella companies so they have to keep amending how they operate.

I started contract / associate work this March and went straight for a Ltd company as many of the clients I work with won't deal with umbrella companies anymore.

Umbrellas, unless they ae simple PAYE umbrellas, are no longer legal. Thatis why they are shutting up shop. I can only imagine why p4 shut down that way. does not sound good to me.

Been contracting a number of years now. LTD is th only way to go. Gordo and his tax man suck the big one.