Bilstein B8 + H&R Springs constantly hitting bump stops

c_w

Reaction score
Is anyone running Bilstein B8 dampers on their A3? I've fitted some with H&R 30mm lowering springs (not the lowest they do) but it seems to sit far too low (they are the standard H&Rs) and seem really soft. The damping on the front isn't great, not much improvement over stock S-Line, and I keep hitting bump stops on even slight bumps and lacks rebound so the nose of the car is lifting in reaction.

My old 8P Sportback felt nailed to the road with B8s + H&R + Anti Roll Bars, and on my BMW the B8s transformed the car and gave it so much control and feel but on the 8v it feels terrible.

I have B8s with Eibach springs not as much drop but an an e-tron so heavier car I find occasionally on rubbish country roads it hits the stops at the front. I have considered getting them trimmed, but just haven't had the opportunity to with the events of the last couple of years. Otherwise the combination transformed the standard "Dynamic suspension" that came from the factory.

I discuss it in this thread:

www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bilstein-b12-kit-experience.387979/

Reactions: c_w
I always used to use H&R but went off them after fitting them to a 2015 S3., too soft and too low.
Eiback pro's we're a much better fit and ride

@-Ju- do you have any photos?

I think I might have to change something, maybe fit Eibach Pro and alter the internal bump stop to make it less of hard whack. Right now, if the road is undulating or remotely bumpy it's like riding on a soft pillow and then hard thuds as it hits the bump stop.

Eibach Sports- very impressed, I was going to go for Pro's but the drop was a little too subtle. I was worried that sports would be too low but it looked perfect, and no adverse effects at all,

The Eibach pro kit is B8 shocks and Eibach pro springs so are made to go together.
As said above they aren't much of a lowering spring, more of a ride upgrade with just a subtle drop but after lowering every car for the last 17 years apart from my current car, reducing suspension travel does compromise ride quality somewhere.
If looks are more Iimportant then swap your H&R's for Eibach sportlines or even the MSS kit if your feeling flush, I definitely get rid of the H&R's though

The Eibach pro kit is B8 shocks and Eibach pro springs so are made to go together.
As said above they aren't much of a lowering spring, more of a ride upgrade with just a subtle drop but after lowering every car for the last 17 years apart from my current car, reducing suspension travel does compromise ride quality somewhere.
If looks are more Iimportant then swap your H&R's for Eibach sportlines or even the MSS kit if your feeling flush, I definitely get rid of the H&R's though

I just got an Eibach Pro Kit, the front springs "look" identical to the H&R front spring so I'm hesitant to fit them (same spindly wire thickness (11.8mm) and the same height (off the car)).

I borrowed this photo from another thread, it's fitted with Eibach Pro Springs, front looks too low vs rear to me.

lowered-on-eibach-pro-1-jpg.182698

Looking on Eibach catalog the S3 and TDI quattro cars uses stiffer springs using thicker wire thickness and shorter overall length with smaller drops (up to 20mm). Maybe that spring might be better for me as I don't want really to keep lowering the car using softer springs than stock.

Does anyone have an Eibach Pro Kit/Bisltein B12 kit fitted to a FWD 2.0 TDI Sportback? (after some real world photos and I'm unsure if the grey a3 in the photo is a FWD 2.0 TDI) :grinning:

Last edited:
These are the Eibach pro's I had fitted on the S3, I don't know how they compare to yours?
Sorry no pictures of an A3 Fwd

Attachments

• 20180918_182643-2268x3024.jpg
    20180918_182643-2268x3024.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
These are the Eibach pro's I had fitted on the S3, I don't know how they compare to yours?
Sorry no pictures of an A3 Fwd
Don't suppose you still have those do you to sell?

Don't suppose you still have those do you to sell?
No sorry pal, I sold the S3 nearly 3 years ago now and the springs went shortly after.
I would trust the springs that are rated for yours as they are designed to work together with the shocks