A3 1.8 Starter motor removal help

Darren_1976

Reaction score
Hello folks, I just bought the car last week but knew there was an issue with the starter. Anyway yesterday morning it took a few attempts to start the car but eventually did go. However last night it just seem to die with no evident clicking when turning the key except when i gave the starter a few taps. I've got the Haynes manual which in all honesty isn't great. I've gotten as far as removing the battery and the housing, part of the power steering pipe thingy, removed the cables from the starter but for the life of me i can't get access to the bolts. There are a bunch of cables/wires which sit on top of the starter which if i could move would make things that little easier. I've had a search on here for a removal guide as i'm not hugely mechanically minded so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The wires clip off the bracket on top of the starter motor. There is a nut on the back of the top bolt that holds the starter motor that needs to be undone to remove the bracket. You can then undo the starter motor bolts. You need a socket on a decent extension to reach the bolts.
This is the official procedure from Elsa Win.

Attachments

• A3 starter motor removal.pdf
    181.6 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: MPH and Darren_1976
Many thanks folks. I've got a mobile mechanic coming out tomorrow as i was at it today for nearly 2 hours and couldn't get access to the bolts. Rather than spend money on tools i might never use the guy says he will do it for £40