Steering wheel stitching

dp_motley

2019 A3 35TFSI S line
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I bought a flat bottom steering wheel with paddles and while I was waiting it to arrive, I got an idea to add RS look stitching to it. The stitching must be the same Lasso Brown colour to match the rest of the interior. Do you know anyone who could do this job for a reasonable price?

Hello everyone. I bought a flat bottom steering wheel with paddles and while I was waiting it to arrive, I got an idea to add RS look stitching to it. The stitching must be the same Lasso Brown colour to match the rest of the interior. Do you know anyone who could do this job for a reasonable price?

https://royalsteeringwheels.com/

Never used myself, but very popular on this and BMW forums

Reactions: dp_motley
Yep, RSW are your people.
Bit pricey, at least for total wheel overhaul but really well made.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and dp_motley
Just to give you an idea, with RSW I paid 220 for a weehl to be done flat bottom total leather+perforated leather+alcantara revamp, with red stitching.

If you want just the stiching to be redone on your wheel, think that local guy of yours will use gold thread.

If someone will be doing it for you, you need to take it off the car and ship it out.

Reactions: NevMan
I just bought the steering wheel. I expect it to arrive next week, so there is no need to taking it off the car, fortunately :)

I just bought the steering wheel. I expect it to arrive next week, so there is no need to taking it off the car, fortunately :)
Good. RSW fid mine on exchange+deposit basis so I could keep mine in and drive.
Hope they'll sort you out with what you need

Just to give you an idea, with RSW I paid 220 for a weehl to be done flat bottom total leather+perforated leather+alcantara revamp, with red stitching.

If you want just the stiching to be redone on your wheel, think that local guy of yours will use gold thread.

If someone will be doing it for you, you need to take it off the car and ship it out.

Sounds like a bargain to me, given for example a JCW steering wheel “option” is £500, and that is from factory!

Royalsteeringwheels made me an offer that I think is very reasonable. The only thing I'm unsure about is that they are going to replace my original leather with the new one. I hoped they could keep and stitch the oem nappa leather which was in very good condition on a steering wheel I bought. It would be shame to throw it away. The new leather might not be the same quality. I'm still thinking.

Meanwhile, I bought a thread that matches my interior stitching and tried to stitch by hand my steering wheel on top of the original stitching, just lightly, avoiding making new holes and any other damage to the leather. I couldn't do the RS style stitch as it required using a sewing machine first. Instead, I stitched with a zigzag pattern through the original holes. What do you think of this pattern? Of course if I decided to continue, I would remove the old stitching and tighten the thread better (now it's too loose), so it would look better.

Zigzag stitching

Looks really good.
That thread is thick enough to be visible even with factory stitch patern.
If you fo zigzag, it would look better.

RSW offer is always replacement. Tbh, on the begining, they messed up my wheel by placing seams in wrong places when from my very first email I stated where I want them. With convo history, my email was always there and that is how I got my way out of it. They tried to persuade me to keep the wheel and called my, nagging.
I refused it and they had to redo it again to my taste and liking.

Before I had my steering wheel done by them, I restitched it myself also and it wasn't that bad either.
Have also all 5 headrests done and front armrest.

Steering wheel is tricky but surely you can do it and save some £££.
2984dcff31801fed7c453d5a0f50babd.jpg

Reactions: dp_motley
Looks really good.
If you do zigzag, it would look better.

RSW offer is always replacement. Tbh, on the begining, they messed up my wheel by placing seams in wrong places. From my very first email I stated where I want them and what angle. With convo history, my email was always there and that is how I got my way out of it. They tried to persuade me to keep the wheel and called my, nagging.

Before I had my steering wheel done by them, I restitched it myself also and it wasn't that bad either.

Looks really good.
If you do zigzag, it would look better.

RSW offer is always replacement. Tbh, on the begining, they messed up my wheel by placing seams in wrong places. From my very first email I stated where I want them and what angle. With convo history, my email was always there and that is how I got my way out of it. They tried to persuade me to keep the wheel and called my, nagging.