2004 A4 B6 3.0 V6 cabriolet - quick questions

mr_pepps

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought my first A4, as above. I love it! It's a super upgrade from my old faithful A3 1.8T (8L).
I have a few quick questions:

Wheel size:
I bought my car with 18" rims on. I don't like them and am looking to swap for something smaller (send me a DM for photos/description of them if you're interested in a swap). Did the A4 3.0 V6 Cabrio come with 16" wheels as standard?

Top speed:
My car doesn't appear to have been particularly well loved over the years. It's down on performance - at least compared to what I've read. Is this car really supposed to be able to hit 150mph?!

Dipped headlights:
I've swapped out the standard bulbs (D2S) for Nightbreakers. Great improvement in the light being cast into the hedgerow but still pretty poor looking forwards. I've read a lot about this - do I have to take the projector units out and line the inside with tin foil??

These points aside I love it!
It's such a comfy place to be - and so quiet inside when the roof is up compared to how I imagined it would be.
Looking forward to some proper Quattro action this winter too!

Hi again,

For anyone who's interested but didn't want to make any comment here are some updates on the points I was concerned about before:

Wheels: I still have the 18" set. They're still for sale - drop me a line if you're interested.

Top speed: Well I've had some najor work done on the car since buying. Clutch and flywheel replacement, cam belt and water pump, alternator tensioner, replacement of corroded bolts in engine bay and underneath on the drive-shaft support bracket. All this came in at a rather hefty £2000, almost as much as I paid for the car! :flushed:
I then had the wheels balanced - they were well off with only 1 of the 4 showing as correct.

Result of this: top speed of 130mph. Far better than before - no judder and good pulling through all the gears. 4th gear has really woken up now and pulls like a train. Oils change and filters this month should have me set for winter.

Headlights: I went at the outer casing with a microfibre cloth and a pot of T-Cut. Has made a significant improvement in dipped light performance. It's still not really what I'd describe as decent but it's far better and lets me see pedestrians walking along the pavement ahead now, which helps a load out here in the Kent countryside.
The next step will be to buy some sort of drill attachment to fit a polishing pad to. Then I'll have another go at the headlights.

That aside the car's a dream to drive. Again, just for general interest, on my daily commute I'm getting 30mpg, now the clutch isn't slipping. On a trip from Kent to Gloucester recently I managed 35mpg which included a bit of stop/start around Oxford and a few blasts of 'the badger's trousers' up the M40. Not too shabby.