New 2018 TFSI 55 A7 Owner - A few questions

Lordvader

Reaction score
Brought a 55 TFSI A7 a couple weeks back, absolutely love it such a great car.

Couple things i am struggling with.

1 - On myaudi when i try and check for map updates i'm getting "No updates available". When i check the navigation versions most of the country's are 2018, some of the UK has updated to 2020 OTA. I want to update the maps completely which i understand is large download then apply via SD/USB.

2 - Has anyone found a way to get the MMI system to use the connected mobile data?
Would like to use the online radio services but these only work when i put a sim into the onboard slot.

1 - On myaudi when i try and check for map updates i'm getting "No updates available". When i check the navigation versions most of the country's are 2018, some of the UK has updated to 2020 OTA. I want to update the maps completely which i understand is large download then apply via SD/USB.

2 - Has anyone found a way to get the MMI system to use the connected mobile data?
Would like to use the online radio services but these only work when i put a sim into the onboard slot.

Hi @LordvaderI have had mine for just over 2 years and fantastic a car as it is, there are quite a few software type glitches. So the car should be able to update over the air which mine has done in the past. It does this over the air by the built-in e-SIM that the car has. I think it uses this to provide you with map traffic updates. I assumed it used the same for map updates.

On your second point I bought a data SIM card to plug in to use but found it a waste of time, not many extra services other than Napster ( who uses that?) and a couple of other minor things. Better for you to Bluetooth or USB your smart phone as it offers more services than the A7. You cannot use the built-in e-SIM for those kinds of apps unless you subscribe at a expensive rate, cool and convenient as it might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also just check with Audi that all your recalls mostly for software updates are completed- I think my map updates never originally worked until I got an MMI update last year.

My over the air map updates didn't work until a software update was done during its first service.
The OTA updates seem to be local to where your car is located. To update all maps, you can go online to myaudi and download the whole lot onto SDCard and update car with this. Its something like a 25GB download....

Well managed to download the full update from the myaudi website. For some reason it didn't show when using Chrome.

Used a different browser and it showed up. Took about 50mins to update the maps in the car.

Shame no solution to being able to use mobile data.

Checking the cars service history it's had the following

workshop action
91X4

Campaigns
90L1
90L6
97D0
55K6

As others have mentioned, the online map updates only started working after a software update during my car's first service (I also have a 2018 55tfsi). Even then, it'll only update over the air for the particular region you happen to be in at the time (e.g. SE England). So my SE England maps are a later version to the rest :)

In terms of the in built-in mobile data, you're right it'll only work for the navigation system etc. I've got my own sim installed (there are some good deals for 'data only' sims) - you'll need this to make use of the wi-fi hotspot; i.e. the kids streaming stuff on their iphones etc. I tend to use it a lot for Spotify (I use Android auto). So definitely useful, and the signal is noticeably stronger because the car's aerial is used.