Sweeper needle

Asim1

Reaction score
I know there has been threads on this in the past..I have noticed replies from @Tuffty in these particular threads. I was wondering as I have seen a few s3 8l sweeper needles on youtube if anyone over the years has figured out or found a way to do this on our cars

Yeah like above, can’t do it on our instrument clusters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a shame was hoping someone would have found a way by now

From memory, means changing the firmware on our instrument clusters. I think you can on a mk4 golf cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Asim1
I will do more research I have two other clusters that I might experiment on

My understanding of the issue is that there is not enough space for the code on the firmware chip on the 8L clusters

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Asim1 and MPH
So it can be done excellent I know it's not too hard to change the back-lighting to red as seen this done before just a case of desoldering and resoldering red ones.

@Asim1 please see what @Dohcwp as said in the thread below you will be interested in this one.

I can live with blue lights. So would any mk4 golf cluster fit..or would I be looking for gti or possibly r32

So it can be done excellent I know it's not too hard to change the back-lighting to red as seen this done before just a case of desoldering and resoldering red ones.
Cannot speak for blue to red conversions but having looked into red to white I can only say you need to test before committing as the forward voltage requirements are different across LEDs... converting a red S3 dash to use white LED's resulted in no light at all once a few had been replaced... the white LED's were taken from a known working A6 dash and tested fine before and after... the circuit for the lighting on the S3 dash is clearly set up for a lower fwd voltage than the white and I couldn't find where that was controlled... its probably just a case of changing a resistor value to get the voltage up enough to support the white LED's but I didn't spend any more time on it

The LED's are SMDs so ideally need a SMD heat gun to remove/reflow

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Asim1 and MPH