No Tc or esp

Andrew mchattie

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2005 a3 2.0 tdi with no fault lights on the dash or esp light when I turn the ignition on but I have the button on the dash to turn esp off which dose nothing any help would be appreciated as the wheel spin was a pain in the winter but not so bad now.
Cheers

A bit confused when you say wheel spin
Just that if you dont have quattro i cant see why your getting wheel spin unless your reving high and trying to pull away . If i defintely had no esp build into car just remove the switch and replace with a blank

A bit confused when you say wheel spin
Just that if you dont have quattro i cant see why your getting wheel spin unless your reving high and trying to pull away . If i defintely had no esp build into car just remove the switch and replace with a blank

just reading between the lines

You do understand a vehicle does not need to be 4 wheel drive to have ESP right? His vehicle has got ESP intact all A3s do.

It’s a braking function - it doesn’t provide positive torque to the wheel via a driveshaft it only uses the brake callipers on each of the wheels to stop the wheel as per system demand

Reactions: Andrew mchattie
The reason I asked if it was quattro is because when the Haldex controller under the car becomes faulty, the TCS and ESP are turned off.
The car then becomes front wheel drive and will spin up the wheels far easier, as well as not having the above safety features.

If you don't have quattro then you can rule out a faulty Haldex controller. Ideally you need to get it fault scanned as there will be a logged fault to help you identify the issue.

just reading between the lines

You do understand a vehicle does not need to be 4 wheel drive to have ESP right? His vehicle has got ESP intact all A3s do.

It’s a braking function - it doesn’t provide positive torque to the wheel via a driveshaft it only uses the brake callipers on each of the wheels to stop the wheel as per system demand
Eveeyday a school day never knew that but cheers for informing me :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Common problem is the button isn’t properly plugged into the connector or the latch is snapped
- pull it out using a credit card and seat the cable.

Confirm if holding it for 3 seconds does anything now with the engine running

Btw has someone done a facelift DIN conversion on your car changing the button, the connector differs so maybe just left it disconnected.

Last edited: