Valve controller or alternative option???

Naylor92

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I know this has been discussed a lot before. But, what would be my best option going forwards with the exhaust. I have a PFL with the sports exhaust and am planning on having the secondary decat pipes also. What would people recommend as the better exhaust valve controllers? I had a special exhausts one on my previous car and it was bang on to be fair. Don’t want to spend masses either but obviously still want a decent jobber, or can you delete the standard plugs with no issues?
Cheers,
Sam.

The CETE valve controller is a must. Best mod i’ve done on my PFL.
You can have all valves open for crazy loud, or closed for nice and quiet.
It’s also great for closing the valves during cold start!

Reactions: JM 772 and Naylor92
The CETE valve controller is a must. Best mod i’ve done on my PFL.
You can have all valves open for crazy loud, or closed for nice and quiet.
It’s also great for closing the valves during cold start!
Aren’t they like mega expensive though!? I had a special exhausts one on my RSQ3, might have a look at there’s too. Do you have secondary decats too?

Aren’t they like mega expensive though!? I had a special exhausts one on my RSQ3, might have a look at there’s too. Do you have secondary decats too?
Honestly, I had PFL stage 1 with secondary decats. You don’t need anymore than that. Deafeningly loud. I also had an intermittent problem where the valves would stick open. No thanks, you don’t want that!

Reactions: NevMan and Naylor92
Honestly, I had PFL stage 1 with secondary decats. You don’t need anymore than that. Deafeningly loud. I also had an intermittent problem where the valves would stick open. No thanks, you don’t want that!
I know that’s my plan if I’m honest, but I would need a valve controller I reckon. What controller did you have? Don’t you have to keep the valves lubricated though? It helps now and again to give them a spray of wd40 or something like.

I’ve got decat pipes but haven’t fitted them yet. Some days it just sounds so loud with the valves open i’m not sure i could handle decat too!

Reactions: Naylor92
I know that’s my plan if I’m honest, but I would need a valve controller I reckon. What controller did you have? Don’t you have to keep the valves lubricated though? It helps now and again to give them a spray of wd40 or something like.
I didn’t have a valve controller. Trust me, PFL with secondary decats is obscenely loud.
You don’t need anything else.

I’ve got decat pipes but haven’t fitted them yet. Some days it just sounds so loud with the valves open i’m not sure i could handle decat too!
Secondary decats all the way! It doesn’t matter when you have a valve controller does it, you can just switch it at any moment.

Wouldn’t it be better with a valve controller though!?
I don’t think so. The drone and noise was horrific for me when the valves were jammed open. It’s not nice IMO. Trust me, it’s outrageously loud as it is with secondary decats.

Reactions: Naylor92 and Terminator x
Hi all,

So I know this has been discussed a lot before. But, what would be my best option going forwards with the exhaust. I have a PFL with the sports exhaust and am planning on having the secondary decat pipes also. What would people recommend as the better exhaust valve controllers? I had a special exhausts one on my previous car and it was bang on to be fair. Don’t want to spend masses either but obviously still want a decent jobber, or can you delete the standard plugs with no issues?
Cheers,
Sam.

I had a prefl with secondary decat and valve controller, and also primary decat. Primary decat adds no extra volume at all.

I too had a special exhaust valve controller and I now have one on my fl. can’t go wrong with the special exhaust one. No need to spend any more on anything else.

I had a prefl with secondary decat and valve controller, and also primary decat. Primary decat adds no extra volume at all.

I too had a special exhaust valve controller and I now have one on my fl. can’t go wrong with the special exhaust one. No need to spend any more on anything else.
I know! The special exhausts ones are really good aren’t they, the one I had on the RSQ3 was brilliant.
So would you advise on secondary decats and valve controller? Makes sense to have both doesn’t it.

I know! The special exhausts ones are really good aren’t they, the one I had on the RSQ3 was brilliant.
So would you advise on secondary decats and valve controller? Makes sense to have both doesn’t it.

hi mate, exactly that!

I may be selling up soon - don’t know if you want my valve controller off me? Drop me a pm or text me if you want - 07539383294

Bear in mind that the fitting of any Valve controller still needs a check up after with VCDS to make sure no errors exist.

Member Bee-bee 8 and I knew about this 18 months ago when we went down the delete plug route.

Bee-Bee 8’s car had the exact same dip in power like this that’s just been posted.
8c24fdc323a940ed97e478a6f829ea8d.jpg

0d850b1993911064f6db2c6594a74164.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I check this with a code scanner (carista) or do I need a vagcom?

Stupid question time, because my old 8P just had one cat

What's a secondary decat? Does this come after some primary decat mod?

So is it worth me going for one or just having the secondary decats on their own?
Secondary decats will wake the dead. I’d stick with that.

Secondary decats will wake the dead. I’d stick with that.
I can get the secondary decat pipes custom made too for very little. From what I’ve read on the valve controllers earlier in the thread now, it’s put me off slightly. It never missed a beat on the RSQ3 but I don’t know whether I like the fact you can choose to have it open whenever you please.

Can I check this with a code scanner (carista) or do I need a vagcom?
I have Carista and I think you can see what error codes are stored but not sure if you can rectify them!? Don’t quote me on that though. Have you used the Carista to change anything on your RS3?

I have Carista and I think you can see what error codes are stored but not sure if you can rectify them!? Don’t quote me on that though. Have you used the Carista to change anything on your RS3?

Carista will scan and allow you to delete codes. FWIW I don't have any codes showing. But not sure if you need a VCDS to check on the valve control operation?

I've not made any changes with Carista as I'm a bit worried about warranty issues. Going to put some miles on her before I mess with anything, just to be sure everything is tight as the car is only 6 month old :)

Looking to sell my CETE valve controller from my FL RS3 as now I’ve gone stage 1 it’s a bit redundant as the map keeps valves fully open in Dynamic.

Not sure if this fits PFL though?

Best upgrade I did to help control the noise.

I’ve put up on the For Sale section if interested.

I can get the secondary decat pipes custom made too for very little. From what I’ve read on the valve controllers earlier in the thread now, it’s put me off slightly. It never missed a beat on the RSQ3 but I don’t know whether I like the fact you can choose to have it open whenever you please.
OEM secondary decats pipes are only £150 from Audi. I’d just do that.

OEM secondary decats pipes are only £150 from Audi. I’d just do that.
Is there actually much difference between the ones on the market. Milltek, Scorpion and the OEM ones? Like is there noise difference or are they literally all the same?

Also, do you have a contact for the OEM ones on here? Is it Crewe Audi? My car was actually owned by them at some point.

Is there actually much difference between the ones on the market. Milltek, Scorpion and the OEM ones? Like is there noise difference or are they literally all the same?
They are all the same! It’s just a bit of metal piping.

Also, do you have a contact for the OEM ones on here? Is it Crewe Audi? My car was actually owned by them at some point.

I got the genuine oem ones from the FL model car, they are a direct fit.
You may be advise to get new exhaust gaskets and locking nuts, these are peanuts.
All in with delivery was £149.00.
Tom Fox Crewe Audi parts is the guy I go to for any rs parts.

I got the genuine oem ones from the FL model car, they are a direct fit.
You may be advise to get new exhaust gaskets and locking nuts, these are peanuts.
All in with delivery was £149.00.
Tom Fox Crewe Audi parts is the guy I go to for any rs parts.
Do you know if the Cete valve controller fits the PFL too?

Do you know if the Cete valve controller fits the PFL too?

I believe so mate, I went down the plug delete route about two years ago and have had no issues.
Granted not everyone is going to do this has there is a very slight drone on a motorway run but nothing that bothers me personally.
Cold starts are very very loud but my neighbours have not moaned once about it.
Cold start in an enclosed multi story well that’s a different story altogether :tearsofjoy: