Black Edition Rotor repair

phope74

Reaction score
Haven't posted on here in ages just due to work commitments, but thought this might be useful to anyone who may need a repair on the Black Edition alloys

I kerbed one wheel last summer and damaged the diamond cut area when moving out of the way of an ambulance and had it repaired professionally. It always bugged me that the colour match of the grey was just a little out, even though the diamond cut refinish itself was top notch. Problem seemed to be that Audi had different finishes of grey for the Black Edition, even after trying to match against the colour code.

My wife managed to kerb one recently, so took the opportunity to try a different repair firm to see if they could do any better. Audi parts system list the colour as 8AU/K80, being Titanium Grey/Diamond cut, but I knew that wouldn't be a true match after my earlier experience.

Here's the damaged one - just some damage to the exterior rim, but no damage to the semi-matt finish.

Damage

Full professional strip and refurb for £108, resulting in this with even the Audi Sport logo stencilled and placed under the lacquer. Colour match is now spot on, but if you are refurbing the Black Edition rotor style, ensure that your repairer uses the coating below rather than simply rely on the Audi colour code 8AU

I'll be keeping the other mismatched wheel just to have as a spare in case of any other damage.

https://www.wheelpaints.co.uk/CAR-M...-H/Audi/AUDI-ROTA-2-ANTHRACITE-24-00-127.Html

IMG 0994

Reactions: Bryant1998, Evil Derboy and Andy101
Love the look of "rotors" but they are a disaster waiting to happen in terms of the finish,but would still be my first choice! Looks like a lovely re-finish job, and at an excellent price, although my OCD eye can't help but be drawn to what appears to be the Audi Sport lettering being straight rather than following the curvature of the rim on the original !

I think I've pretty much decided that when my 5 spoke black edition alloys get kerbed, I'll have them painted black for easier touching-in!

It’s ever so slightly out but they didn’t want to take the risk of a sticker that could distort under any heat of curing the lacquer finish

It’s “good enough” and would certainly not get marked down by a vehicle inspector if I were to hand the car back at end of agreement. The place I used also now does lots of repair work for local main dealers including Audi.

Haven't posted on here in ages just due to work commitments, but thought this might be useful to anyone who may need a repair on the Black Edition alloys

I kerbed one wheel last summer and damaged the diamond cut area when moving out of the way of an ambulance and had it repaired professionally. It always bugged me that the colour match of the grey was just a little out, even though the diamond cut refinish itself was top notch. Problem seemed to be that Audi had different finishes of grey for the Black Edition, even after trying to match against the colour code.

My wife managed to kerb one recently, so took the opportunity to try a different repair firm to see if they could do any better. Audi parts system list the colour as 8AU/K80, being Titanium Grey/Diamond cut, but I knew that wouldn't be a true match after my earlier experience.

Here's the damaged one - just some damage to the exterior rim, but no damage to the semi-matt finish.

View attachment 199061

Full professional strip and refurb for £108, resulting in this with even the Audi Sport logo stencilled and placed under the lacquer. Colour match is now spot on, but if you are refurbing the Black Edition rotor style, ensure that your repairer uses the coating below rather than simply rely on the Audi colour code 8AU

I'll be keeping the other mismatched wheel just to have as a spare in case of any other damage.

https://www.wheelpaints.co.uk/CAR-M...-H/Audi/AUDI-ROTA-2-ANTHRACITE-24-00-127.Html

View attachment 199062
Where did you go for the refurbishment? I've done in one of my alloys to a similar fashion...