Idle and smoke

Pro-cookie

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 2ltr tdi BRD engine 170 Quattro
Is it normal for this engine to be limited to 3000rpm? Only noticed this morning when I wanted to check how smokey it was so revved it hard once it was warm only to discover it’s limited.
Also it didn’t smoke one little bit but it does under load is this normal?

Hi guys I have a 2ltr tdi BRD engine 170 Quattro
Is it normal for this engine to be limited to 3000rpm? Only noticed this morning when I wanted to check how smokey it was so revved it hard once it was warm only to discover it’s limited.
Also it didn’t smoke one little bit but it does under load is this normal?
*cough* get it mapped... *cough*
Think mine was limited pre-map.. I think

Ok I’ll have a look about around my way for good mapping companies. The other thing though about the smoke, under load last night it was smoking heavy when booting it off lights I could see the smoke in headlights from the car behind. But this morning when revving it to 3000 there was literally no smoke at all, is that normal?

'could' be DPF cleaning itself out... generally does so under load (unless it's my car and that becomes whenever it bl@@dy feels like it).

'could' be DPF cleaning itself out... generally does so under load (unless it's my car and that becomes whenever it bl@@dy feels like it).
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: What’s the problem with yours then or is it just that it generally likes to smoke lol.

So I noticed on the way home when driving it revs much higher than 3000 but when stationary it only revs to 3000, I’m guessing Audi have done this to help protect the engine?

That wouldn't be un common in new cars think a lot of them are limited which is not ideal for listening to them rev but I'm not sure if its standard on your car my early 2000’s accord type r limited itself until it was fully warmed up, so it wasn’t un heard of on older cars.

I read on here somewhere that if you hold the esp button the rev s will go above 3000, not tried it.

mine smokes on idle, not straight away, usually when the temp guage has mo ved above zero, runs fine at full temp.

It's all egr related, be en told solution is map out egr and dpf.

Yeah it’s really bizarre I don’t understand it. It does it from warm I wouldn’t even attempt to rev it high from cold and to be honest I wouldn’t normally try to rev it like that at all if it wasn’t for trying to see if it smoked.

I’ll try the esp thing tomorrow just out of interest

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: What’s the problem with yours then or is it just that it generally likes to smoke lol.
Had issues not long after I bought it (69km) with EGR being clogged up and DPF/regen taking place whenever the car felt like it (stationary, motorway didn't matter) but killed the car of all boost power from 1,800-2,500 revs (not helpful in heavy traffic or uphill etc.). Turned out that the EGR had clogged so badly that it never fully closed and thus DPF got clogged up also. Didn't help that I didn't understand that I had to boot the car hard on long journeys at that point so I was adding to the issue by trying to keep revs/fuel costs down and drive economically. Car eventually decided it didn't want to play any more and gave up the ghost about half a mile from the garage. big cloud of smoke and EML and no start up. No warning lights before hand and no error codes until the final event. (I suspect my ECU has issues that I'd rather not go digging into just yet). £1500 and a few weeks later, DPF professionally cleaned, new EGR & a few other bits and she's been good as gold (tough wood).

Had issues not long after I bought it (69km) with EGR being clogged up and DPF/regen taking place whenever the car felt like it (stationary, motorway didn't matter) but killed the car of all boost power from 1,800-2,500 revs (not helpful in heavy traffic or uphill etc.). Turned out that the EGR had clogged so badly that it never fully closed and thus DPF got clogged up also. Didn't help that I didn't understand that I had to boot the car hard on long journeys at that point so I was adding to the issue by trying to keep revs/fuel costs down and drive economically. Car eventually decided it didn't want to play any more and gave up the ghost about half a mile from the garage. big cloud of smoke and EML and no start up. No warning lights before hand and no error codes until the final event. (I suspect my ECU has issues that I'd rather not go digging into just yet). £1500 and a few weeks later, DPF professionally cleaned, new EGR & a few other bits and she's been good as gold (tough wood).
Whats tough wood Mike? Never heard of that one lol

Reactions: AvantMike
Ok thanks for the help guys, so I have a list of things to do all of which very expensive but worth it. Cam belt replacement, oil pump balance shaft and hex key and possible turbo at some point. how much do you guys think that would be all in?

Oil pump balance shaft & hex Key recently Cost for parts £195 (+£125 deposit) 4.5hrs labour at £55/hr + VAT Local to Gloucester (if area makes a difference)