Car advise? £3k to spend... sensible Civic or A3?

Superhans

Reaction score
I'm in London so will be doing lots of short journeys at snail pace as well as trips outside London. Diesel doesn't seem like a good option because of this as won't get out on motorway enough.

Been a while since I had a car. Last one was a 306 TD which I loved. Before that, a Yaris. Hated it.

Is something like a Civic that much more reliable than an A3?

If I was going to go for the A3, I'm looking at 10+ years old. Am I just asking for trouble? Happy to pay for servicing each year.

Which petrol engine am I best looking for reliability wise and less cost to fix should it go wrong?

Buy an auto so you can relax whilst sitting in traffic. I would suggest something frugal on fuel like a Daewoo Matiz, or a Suzuki Alto.

Reactions: Superhans
I'm in London so will be doing lots of short journeys at snail pace as well as trips outside London. Diesel doesn't seem like a good option because of this as won't get out on motorway enough.

Been a while since I had a car. Last one was a 306 TD which I loved. Before that, a Yaris. Hated it.

If I was going to go for the A3, I'm looking at 10+ years old. Am I just asking for trouble? Happy to pay for servicing each year.

Which petrol engine am I best looking for reliability wise and less cost to fix should it go wrong?

neither, go with a focus .

parts are cheaper than both the civic and audi , and for the most part a lot more reliable.
Nothing wrong with civic or audi , just focus is and would be a better choice., just my opinion.

parts are cheaper than both the civic and audi , and for the most part a lot more reliable.
Nothing wrong with civic or audi , just focus is and would be a better choice., just my opinion.

No, fair enough. Appreciate any opinion. I'm getting all sorts mind! Everything apart from French cars...

I've had a few fords including a focus, it was so reliable , never let me down and I ran it for a good few years and miles, running cost were very low.

I've had a few fords including a focus, it was so reliable , never let me down and I ran it for a good few years and miles, running cost were very low.

How much more reliable is a focus that a 10 year old petrol A3? (1.6, 1.8, 2.0...). Looking at one that's had a new clutch, cam belt and flywheel. I'm 36 so insurance not an issue and I'm not doing a daily commute so daily running costs aren't a huge issue. For me it's more about enjoying the car I'm in. We're all here because we like Audis at end of day! Unless they're more problematic than I realise?

How long is a piece of string and every car will be different.
It is all down to how its been looked after since new, you can have a good audi or bad audi , the same applkies with a focus so there is no easy answer.
Audi's are nice car's , I have one , but they all can have issues which get expensive quickly, some variants more than others and engine choice is important.
All down to you really, go with what you like , just do some research first into what your looking buy.

That's what I'm trying to do here really.

Seems like the 1.8. TFSI goes through oil quick. Any other petrol engines to avoid? I've read the older 3.2 is reliable but that's a bit too heavy on petrol.

All the turbo's can use a fair bit of oil, some more than others and depends on how the car is driven.
2.0tfsi is middle of the road.

Maybe have a good browse through the A3 forums , you'll get a better overview of what to expect from specific platforms and info from other a3 owners.

Pretty open ended question but as this is an Audi forum going to say get an Audi, far as money goes for 3k and around town relatively reliable driving plus petrol power I'd have an S3 8l or 1.8t quattro TT, not sure what's expected in terms of fuel economy but realistically can't see any petrol Audi being the most economic choice for 3k but will be miles ahead of the competition in other departments, pays your money makes your choice.

In terms of trouble every car I've owned has been sub 3k and all have had issues, usually not the most documented faults too so can't say anything used will be trouble free.

Good luck finding a ULEZ compliant Audi within a £3k budget. If your going to be living or travelling into inner London then bear in mind the ULEZ charge. Thats why something like a Suzuki Alto is perfect, easy to park, easy on fuel, no road tax, low insurance, ULEZ compliant, cheap run around that ticks all the boxes and leaves you enough for a summer holiday abroad.

Last edited:
I won't be going into inner London. I live in North London. Local driving will just be to supermarket, cinema etc. So not ideal to have a diesel, but every 2 weeks, maybe more, I'll be driving outside of London, Sussex, Surrey, up North, rare occasion to Cornwall maybe. So priority leans to comfort/reliability for longer driving, yet still alright for locally and saving getting the bus/uber (sometimes same cost as two people getting bus).

So, reliable, okay on petrol (don't have a daily commute so it's not a priority), I haven't had a car for 12 years so my insurance is high whatever I look at (plus difference of £60 or £100 a month doesn't fuss me). Nice to drive. Safe. Quattro appeals if I'm driving up north (Wales).

Try put the criteria into Auto Trader; often returns hidden gems not even considered (don't have to buy from the site though, just use it for ideas then research the cars further).

Best to keep a few quid back with 3k cars encase they aren't as reliable as presumed.

Buy a donkey .....

Take it to london zoo and ask the lions if they are vegan ...

Or perhaps ride the donkey into the Honda forum .

Reactions: DieselJake and CHEZ
Mate, I'm 51 and thought **** it!

Just bought an Audi TT MK3 every time I get in that car I smile, life is too short my friend!

Why do it to yourself, buy a Audi A3 !!!

Have you made your mind up yet?

I won't be going into inner London. I live in North London. Local driving will just be to supermarket, cinema etc. So not ideal to have a diesel, but every 2 weeks, maybe more, I'll be driving outside of London, Sussex, Surrey, up North, rare occasion to Cornwall maybe. So priority leans to comfort/reliability for longer driving, yet still alright for locally and saving getting the bus/uber (sometimes same cost as two people getting bus).

So, reliable, okay on petrol (don't have a daily commute so it's not a priority), I haven't had a car for 12 years so my insurance is high whatever I look at (plus difference of £60 or £100 a month doesn't fuss me). Nice to drive. Safe. Quattro appeals if I'm driving up north (Wales).

You know about the extension of the ULEZ next year to the North and South Circular roads? if you're in North London, this will pretty much engulf you, we get up to Zone 3 in South London, still for me, it meant I had to buy a new car being in Zone 2.

I'd also look at a Ford Focus and a Seat Leon...

If I had to consider selling my TT, Id move out of London.

We are ******* in the wind, compared to what the USA and China are putting into the sky!!

If I had to consider selling my TT, Id move out of London.

We are ******* in the wind, compared to what the USA and China are putting into the sky!!

You wouldn't. London is the centre of the universe, you need a little more than a car for a reason to leave, it absorbs you and has an energy like traction beam that keeps you here :)

But I agree with the latter statement!

You wouldn't. London is the centre of the universe, you need a little more than a car for a reason to leave, it absorbs you and has an energy like traction beam that keeps you here :)

But I agree with the latter statement!

Mate you on crack lol

I worked for three years in London, only thing that kept me going was, after my four day stint, home for four days!

Here, I wake up, look out on to rolling Cornish Hills, make breakfast, sit in the back conservatory or decking, looking out to sea views!
Walk into the village, chat we all know each other, say hello to the non locals on holiday, spending all their cash lol

I can go out, leave my house unlocked, keys in the car...…………………..this is Cornwall, this is England!

Reactions: k.lockU2
Mate you on crack lol

I worked for three years in London, only thing that kept me going was, after my four day stint, home for four days!

Here, I wake up, look out on to rolling Cornish Hills, make breakfast, sit in the back conservatory or decking, looking out to sea views!
Walk into the village, chat we all know each other, say hello to the non locals on holiday, spending all their cash lol

I can go out, leave my house unlocked, keys in the car...…………………..this is Cornwall, this is England!

Three years? you were just a tourist, means nothing :)

I do plan for Cornwall myself one day though, have to admit..

Three years? you were just a tourist, means nothing :)

I do plan for Cornwall myself one day though, have to admit..

Mate, on my 18mile journey to work in the morning, up the Atlantic highway (A39) takes around 20min.
I can open the TT right up!!