Audi S3 exhaust valves

DavidJames96

Reaction score
Hi! I’ve recently bought an Audi s3 8v. I understand that in dynamic mode the exhaust valves should open and the car should sound better, but I can’t really tell the difference in comfort and dynamic mode. I don’t know if the previous owner has set the exhaust valves to be open all the time and that’s why I can’t hear the difference. Is there a way to check if they are open all the time regardless of being in comfort/dynamic. Would there be pressure coming from 4 pipes at comfort if this was the case? Thanks!

Start the car in comfort and only the two exhaust on the inside should be open. Then switch to dynamic and you should hear a slight “click” and the exhaust tone getting deeper as well as all four exhausts being open.

This should be done in park since the valves will be closed until 3.000rpm even in Dynamic mode. Whereas in park in Dynamic mode the valves are open and closed in Comfort.

Reactions: DavidJames96
Start the car in comfort and only the two exhaust on the inside should be open. Then switch to dynamic and you should hear a slight “click” and the exhaust tone getting deeper as well as all four exhausts being open.

This should be done in park since the valves will be closed until 3.000rpm even in Dynamic mode. Whereas in park in Dynamic mode the valves are open and closed in Comfort.

Thanks for your reply! I’ve just done this now, and in park mode in both dynamic and comfort I can definitely feel pressure coming from all 4 pipes. Should there be completely no pressure coming from the two pipes in comfort? And I can’t hear any click noise at all when changing from one mode to another!

Yes, someone has either via OBD or disconnected the valve controls and left them the valves in the open position.

Reactions: Lehn and DavidJames96
I read that If done incorrectly it can log fault code and cut power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Terminator x
I read that If done incorrectly it can log fault code and cut power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've never heard about it logging a fault but if you just decide to unplug the valves some RS3s have shown to cut power on the dyno. This doesn't happen if you code them out tho.

EDIT: I must correct myself here, it seems that I remembered wrong and it actually may log a code. There's more info in my post here: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dsg-dq381-torque-capacity.379475/#post-3324089

Last edited:
Reactions: gringosteve
I’m really confused with all this, I’ve got OBDeleven and it seems according to that, that my exhaust valves hasn’t been changed and should be changing from comfort to dynamic. However I’m getting pressure from all 4 pipes even in comfort mode. Has anyone got any idea what’s going on? The cables are connected on the exhaust!