Yellow bulb fault

quattrogone

Quattro Back!
Reaction score
Hi, I've just picked up an A4 Avant 04 plate and need to sort out fault displaying on the dis.
There's a yellow bulb with a cross through it and it says that the rear light bulb is out, but all the lights are working. The only light not working is the one in the tailgate with the white/red lens which is supposed to come on when the tailgate is open.

Have the bulbs been replaced with led ones? There can be an issue with canbus / non canbus depending on what bulbs are fitted etc. I had some led sidelights fitted to mine that would cut out when they got to hot and when they cut out would cause an error saying that my rear bulb on the opposite side was out when it clearly wasn't.

No led's, but the local VW/Audi dealership replaced the rear bulb recently for the previous owner and it happens to be the side that it's saying is out!
I know that the warning system works on resistance/voltage issues e.t.c. to show when a bulb is either out / in correct or even just about to blow.
Having a good look last night the brightness on the replaced bulb looks very slightly different to the other side so I think I'll have a swap around and see if the fault follows that bulb......if not can I get the garage to just turn off the warning system with VAG com?

Make sure the contacts are clean on the bulb and the bulb holder. You could also try a different bulb.

I'll give that a go, either that or I'll cut some black tape for the dis !!

All sorted whilst the car was in for a major service, the bulb fitted by VW must have been faulty as my mechanic replaced it with a new one and now the fault indication has cleared and stayed cleared since.