Facelift Audi smartphone interface questions.

Kery

Reaction score
Hello all

here,where i live, only 3000 A3 2.0T gasoline models had been sold at the last year after the VW disel crisis.
Among them, 200 A3 were premium class of which equipped with dyaminc rear lamp, led headlight, VC and
smart phone interface... its been sold out too quickly, so i had to bought a vehicle without those.

However, mine also have USB connector for the smart phone interface.
I've temporary changed my MIB unit with that of the premium one, which was
surprisingly MIB1 not MIB2, and i confirmed that i could use smart phone interface with help of private car repair shop(not relative to audi center).
After i saw it worked, i had to returned it again.

The two MIB units have same partnumber, but mine is not working.
So i was guessing mine also have hardware to work however, some kind of legal key? is missing.

I asked to locoal audi dealership, however they told me that they will not offer retrofit soultion.
I'm wondering about the below link:

https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/zu...for-the-audi-smartphone-interface-8v0051472-9

"Retrofit solution for the Audi smartphone interface". Here in south korea, audi korea do not offer such item.
Q1. May i ask what is that? Is it a document? how can i activate it?
Q2. Can i simply order that and bring it to my local dearship to activate it?

I also find that the above site noted that:

"Suitable for Audi A3 with MIB2 High Scale or MIB2 Premium and with electrical interface for external use, AUX-IN and USB and with special product upgrade measures"

But i've seen that that the functiong one was not MIB2 but MIB1 of same part number as mine.
Navigation, telephone system with bluetooth pairing, music and voice control system are available in my MIB.

Q3. Why they stated it's for MIB2? MIB1 can not take the retrofit solution?

Thank you for reading the long story. Any advice would be greateful.

Audi Smartphone Interface is compatible with vehicles manufactured late 2016 onwards with the correct MIB2 system. MIB1 units do not contain the needed prerequisite authentication chips.

This is not a DIY installation. Anyone with a compatible MIB unit can have ASI activated on their vehicle by way of purchasing an activation licence pack and having it activated via an Audi Service Centre or Authorised 3rd Party such as myself. Example activation, its an R8 but the procedure is the same:

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...and-retrofit-blog.322694/page-11#post-3282353

Thank you.

The part number of my mib unit is

8v1035899b

And this is the only i got..

http://www.catcar.info/audivw/?lang...pbGR0YWZlbD09MDM1MDF8fEdyYWZpaz09MDAzNTAwNzQ1

I can not find out whether it is mib2 or not. Any chance how can i figure it out? It seems its been manufactured from the end of 2017.
I heard it from the auto shop guy who helped me to temporary exchange the mib unit, that mine is mib1 but
the other mib capable of cell phone mirroring has same part number. Now im confused...

MIB Unit High is the only description. Unit is valid for a 2019 vehicle so it seems its an MIB2. Would need a VIN number in order to know what's possible.

MIB Unit High is the only description. Unit is valid for a 2019 vehicle so it seems its an MIB2. Would need a VIN number in order to know what's possible.

Ive attached a photo.
wauzzz8v4j1075648

Ive confirmed from the auto shop guy that mine is Mib1.
But he also sent me a photo of the mib unit partnumber from the premium one which support audi smart phone interface. Same one as mine.

It is also mib1 not mib2... how is it possible?

Attachments

• 9296A34A-42AF-4CEA-880D-BCC86FE751F1.jpeg
    9296A34A-42AF-4CEA-880D-BCC86FE751F1.jpeg
    883.4 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Ive attached a photo.
wauzzz8v4j1075648

Ive confirmed from the auto shop guy that mine is Mib1.
But he also sent me a photo of the mib unit partnumber from the premium one which support audi smart phone interface. Same one as mine.

It is also mib1 not mib2... how is it possible?
2018 vehicle so you have an MIB2, which is listed as High so should have the needed hardware for ASI. If ASI is not available from your dealership then the feature is restricted by your region and possibly VIN.

8F7CC652 38F8 43F3 BAEA CBA49C8A7DE6

Ah.. so i can not activate it even if mine is mib2.. i hate such local policy.
Anyway, thank you very much. I should leave it behind..

Ah.. so i can not activate it even if mine is mib2.. i hate such local policy.
Anyway, thank you very much. I should leave it behind..
Did not say that exactly. If ASI is not available to buy from a dealer then it might be possible to activate by purchasing a licence from someone like myself. If this does not work then it means that the feature is locked by VIN. My R8 example I posted is like this. In the USA, at the time, Audi USA did not want any R8’s to have ASI so they would not sell it but the feature was not locked by VIN so I activated a buttload of them with no issues but it was a gamble.

Did not say that exactly. If ASI is not available to buy from a dealer then it might be possible to activate by purchasing a licence from someone like myself. If this does not work then it means that the feature is locked by VIN. My R8 example I posted is like this. In the USA, at the time, Audi USA did not want any R8’s to have ASI so they would not sell it but the feature was not locked by VIN so I activated a buttload of them with no issues but it was a gamble.

Do i also need to gamble? Or is there anyway to see availability before i purchase it from you?

Do i also need to gamble? Or is there anyway to see availability before i purchase it from you?
Looks like it might be a gamble. The only system I have access to at the moment shows ASI is not valid for your vehicle however there are a few strange details which lead me to believe that it may actually be incorrect. Later this evening I will have access to the official systems again and will know for sure.

Just had confirmation...

You have the needed hardware, an MIB2 High but the sale of an Audi SmartPhone Interface licence has been blocked due to region restrictions. This however does not necessarily mean that activation of the feature has been blocked via the VW Group servers but it would be a £320 gamble to try, like with the R8’s in the USA.

Just had confirmation...

You have the needed hardware, an MIB2 High but the sale of an Audi SmartPhone Interface licence has been blocked due to region restrictions. This however does not necessarily mean that activation of the feature has been blocked via the VW Group servers but it would be a £320 gamble to try, like with the R8’s in the USA.

Would you provide a way to partly re-fund if it doesnt work? Price seems fair, but its too risky to lose all of that. But i believe you can apply the licence you bought to the other once i fail.

Moreover, if it works, ill inform your service to my local community.

Would you provide a way to partly re-fund if it doesnt work? Price seems fair, but its too risky to lose all of that. But i believe you can apply the licence you bought to the other once i fail.

Moreover, if it works, ill inform your service to my local community.
Issue with your proposal is that here in the UK most new Audi’s comes with ASI as standard so I don’t get many orders and I don’t really want one sitting on the shelf. We could, if someone places an order, try the codes on your vehicle and if it works I just order another for the customer. There is however another issue, installation. Remote coding requires that you have the needed interface etc for me to be able to connect to you car. This would be an additional cost, up to £100.00, as it’s not a simple usb dongle.

Issue with your proposal is that here in the UK most new Audi’s comes with ASI as standard so I don’t get many orders and I don’t really want one sitting on the shelf. We could, if someone places an order, try the codes on your vehicle and if it works I just order another for the customer. There is however another issue, installation. Remote coding requires that you have the needed interface etc for me to be able to connect to you car. This would be an additional cost, up to £100.00, as it’s not a simple usb dongle.

So.. is 320 pounds includes your service?
Can i use the dongles with others? Or is it one time only?
I will gather others in my community to divide the risk. 4 to 5 people may be good to go... if no one show wills to do, well.. i guess i will give up this matter. I will be in touch with you.

Reactions: ivelliosy
I will gather others in my community to divide the risk. 4 to 5 people may be good to go... if no one show wills to do, well.. i guess i will give up this matter. I will be in touch with you.

Any new on your retroft? Mine is 81A 035 824 B MIB2 STD Delphi, i am thinking of gambling as well

The dongle in question is actually an interface that allows connection to your vehicle. The ASI activation codes are genuine OEM, so single use only so risk cannot be divided.

£320.00 for the ASI documents, including activation but you need the dongle / interface in addition.