Unstable back end after new tyres

Blip

Reaction score
Just replaced the rear tyres on my S3 8v with new Avon SV7,s didn’t bother changing the continentals on the fronts as they were fine.

Since doing it the car is very unstable at the back end at 70mph and the traction control light comes on on the country roads. Unpredictable to drive.

Any advice on why? Alignment?

Different manufacturer and tread pattern...not good for 4 wheel drive cars. Not an alignment issue as you did not have an issue before. Definitely a tyre issue. Change to all 4 tyres the same manufacturer and design e.g.Pirelli P Zero

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn, Lehn and wab172uk
^^^ This,

As Flying Scotsman says. Have all 4 tyres the same. I never understand why people have different tyres on their cars. All tyres have different grip characteristics. More so in the wet.

Reactions: Lehn
And do it as soon as possible! You’re putting lot of stress on your haldex clutch right now (awd system).

Possibly balancing issue too as other people have said 4 matches tyres ! Last set of tyres I bought Audi price matched Black Circles and fitted AO spec tyres =)

Possibly balancing issue too as other people have said 4 matches tyres ! Last set of tyres I bought Audi price matched Black Circles and fitted AO spec tyres =)

What are the original spec tyres?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a more simple note. I'm guessing the tyres might be directional. Are they fitted the correct way around?

Colin

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Another thing to think about is new tyres needs a bit of wear before they grip well. The shiny finish from the mould needs worn before they are at their best.
Also check the tyre pressures. It wouldn’t be the first time a tyre fitter put the wrong pressure in the tyres.

Reactions: Adam14
The Tyre difference front axle to rear axle isn't as much as an issue on the haldex as it spends most of its time driving the front wheels, its mainly a issue on the torsen permanent systems.

Could be worth just having the alignment checked

Reactions: quattrorally and Phutters
Just replaced the rear tyres on my S3 8v with new Avon SV7,s didn’t bother changing the continentals on the fronts as they were fine.

Since doing it the car is very unstable at the back end at 70mph and the traction control light comes on on the country roads. Unpredictable to drive.

Any advice on why? Alignment?
man always get same tyres .. all round

Last edited:
On a more simple note. I'm guessing the tyres might be directional. Are they fitted the correct way around?

Colin

+1

I had this a few years ago and it was like driving on ice when navigating roundabouts on damp roads. It was in the early days of single directional tyres and the fitter hadn't fitted correctly. took me a few days to suss it out.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman