New owner

Tom Whetton

Reaction score
Hey, picked up my 2010 S3 2 weeks ago and I love it, I’m just wondering is there anything I should look at changing to prevent anything going wrong? Already sorted full service, gearbox and haldex, anything else?

Reactions: samuelh_888 and Daveyonthemove
Also in the fullness of time depending on mileage, your car will benefit from the inlet valves and relevant ports of the cylinder head cleaning with a walnut blast as they do get very clogged up with carbon and oily gunk. At the same time the injectors will be taken out and so it is sensible to have them flow and spray pattern tested.
Then you will be ready if the inevitable remap!

Agree with all of the above. The bits you you haven’t done yet can wait another year to lighten expenditure. If it has covered mega mileage then a bit sooner.

Cambelt and water pump? if it's been looked after then it should be fine, but double check.
Remember, it's done on mileage or age, whichever comes first not whichever is more convenient.

It’s a 2010 and covered 74k, very clean tho not had any problems other than the other day it felt like it was gonna stall as I was driving, not done it since tho fuel pump maybe?

It’s a 2010 and covered 74k, very clean tho not had any problems other than the other day it felt like it was gonna stall as I was driving, not done it since tho fuel pump maybe?
When the car is serviced you could have it scanned and any fault should be displayed. At 74k miles it would benefit from the walnut blast and injector clean. You will be surprised at how gunked up the inlet valves get.
This is a service offered by RTech in Nuneaton.
Especially important to have no issues with the injectors if you go down the remap route eventually. Many a piston failure is linked to a faulty injector. RTech are also the tuning wizards for this car.

Nuneatons a little far away hahaa I’m in Blackpool, I’ll definitely be getting it remapped eventually, need new front pads aswell we the ones on the car are horrendous.

Walnut blasting and injector cleaning is a very expensive process so it wouldn't be top of my list if my car wasn't showing any symptoms or performance issues to suggest it's absolutely necessary.

Walnut blasting and injector cleaning is a very expensive process so it wouldn't be top of my list if my car wasn't showing any symptoms or performance issues to suggest it's absolutely necessary.

About £225 without a remap for the injector leakdown/spray test with ultrasonic cleaning and new filter baskets, and the walnut blasting . Not expensive at all IMO. It’s amazing what the incorrect spray on and injector can do. Three of mine were perfect the 4th was 70% and couldn’t be recovered. £80 for the new injector is better than a broken engine.

Reactions: baderlfc
About £225 without a remap for the injector leakdown/spray test with ultrasonic cleaning and new filter baskets, and the walnut blasting . Not expensive at all IMO. It’s amazing what the incorrect spray on and injector can do. Three of mine were perfect the 4th was 70% and couldn’t be recovered. £80 for the new injector is better than a broken engine.

Where is that to? Prices i'd seen were double that if not more most places that do it in a 50 mile radius of me

Where is that to? Prices i'd seen were double that if not more most places that do it in a 50 mile radius of me

Just checked my receipts - it was £325 sorry. It’s about 4-5 hrs effort, includes new seals, o’rings.

Email R-Tech for current prices.

Reactions: baderlfc
Hmm, i'm booked in at R-tech for a remap saturday 14th september.. think i'll drop them a message and see how much they want to do this work pre-map.

£325 is still cheap, I have previously had quotes ranging from £350-550 for similar services by far less highly regarded establishments than R-tech.

Reactions: samuelh_888
I had the injectors tested and cleaned there about 6 weeks ago on my Mk 4 GTI AGU engine.
A very interesting process to watch and afterwards the car drives very smoothly for over 130k mikes.
I had an occasional misfire on idle and that has gone.
Interesting that the chap doing the job could tell that I had used injector cleaner in the past as the filter baskets were stained a dark red sort of colour. I only added one bottle too.
Apparently on the TFSI injectors it can erode the filter baskets due to the high operating pressures.
So I’ll keep on using V power and won’t ever bother with injector cleaner again.

Reactions: ninjakid