Service advice S3

S3LOK

Reaction score
Hello,

I know there loads of threads on this topic and I read them and found the information useful. But have not quite found a answer to my question.

My car is just over a year old and done just 3200 miles and today it as come up on the display ‘oil change in 31days’. I was a bit surprise to see as I was told my first service will be in 2 years from picking up the car. So I called my mate who works for Audi. He told me My car didn’t need an oil change Because I do such low miles he advised me just reset the service in the MMI and if the car oil is really that dirty and need to be changed there are sensors in there and will flash up again. He told me my car set to that because Audi just want make more money out of me.

My previous 2 Audi’s had there first oil service at 2 years but then again they were both diesels so I don’t know if that would make any difference.
Just want to know what your views on this.

Thanks!

Audi recommend an oil change every year if you are doing such low mileage (same as basically every other car brand I thought? I'd get it changed (even if its not done by Audi). And then drive it more :p

Reactions: davc and Audi Bairn
I was in a similar position in my A3 - car requesting an oil service at about 17months and 6k. Didn't even consider just resetting the reminder, I just got it done; I wouldn't want to risk invalidating the warranty.

Reactions: davc and Andy F
Your car should be the same as mine and set to fixed annual servicing.
Because it is already over 1 full year old and it is stating an oil change in a further 31 days, it would seem like you are set to variable servicing and the car has decided the oil needs to be changed. Lots of short journeys will contribute to this.
Another point to note....variable servicing is not automatically every 2 years, it is when the car decides it needs one.
Just out of curiosity when is the MMI saying your inspection is due? Maybe this is different on cars set to variable, I don't know, but mine is exactly 365 days after the oil change....hence fixed annual servicing.

Last edited:
At that mileage the oil is not going to be in great condition anyway so get it changed.

The service guidelines state 10k/1 yr whichever comes first.

Hello,

I know there loads of threads on this topic and I read them and found the information useful. But have not quite found a answer to my question.

My car is just over a year old and done just 3200 miles and today it as come up on the display ‘oil change in 31days’. I was a bit surprise to see as I was told my first service will be in 2 years from picking up the car. So I called my mate who works for Audi. He told me My car didn’t need an oil change Because I do such low miles he advised me just reset the service in the MMI and if the car oil is really that dirty and need to be changed there are sensors in there and will flash up again. He told me my car set to that because Audi just want make more money out of me.

My previous 2 Audi’s had there first oil service at 2 years but then again they were both diesels so I don’t know if that would make any difference.
Just want to know what your views on this.

Thanks!

If you don't do many miles a year, it's always best to get an annual service / oil change. People who do big miles tend to stick to the long life service schedule, as it works out a service a year anyway.

The way I always look as services is as it's my car (not a company car) I want it to be tip top all the time. A service is a few hundred quid a year. Nothing really if you break that cost down a month or even a week.

As a buyer, I want to see annual service stamps. If a car's not been serviced for a couple years, I would walk away.

Reactions: davc
Call few local Audi Dealerships around my area and prices range from £195-£265, so book it in at the one closest to me for £195.

It's actually 9k/1 yr for fixed servicing, but like you say best to get it changed now. :innocent:
Yeah you are right. On my car when the service indicator is reset it shows 9600 miles to next change so I just round that up to 10k in my head.

I am just wondering if it is part of the Audi service schedule to check and top up fluids when carrying out the first oil change on an S3?
I wouldn't normally ask this question because in the past it was completely routine, but now I wonder if an extra charge is made for topping up screen wash etc?