Trolley Jacks, Axle Stands, Rusty Hub Fix and Gtechniq C5

Great write up. Just followed it as been desperate to do mine for ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would of looked loads better done black as with silver you are highlighting an uninteresting area and rough cast calipers that are detracting attention from the star of the show .

Plus these silver areas will look grubby soon from brake dust , again black hides the majority .

All should be illegal !

At last the penny is dropping for some manufacturers .

Will see what it looks like in a couple of months and might do them black. It will need rear pads soon so could do it then

Reactions: Gazwould
Sorry to be so harsh !

Brembo do a nice metallic finish .

But I still paint with smooth Hammerite to rust bullet proof them .

By going black it makes the alloys stand out .

Just wanted to say thank you to Jimbob76 for this really useful guide. I’ve managed to do the noggy 8V in this beautiful lockdown weather we are having. Great tips on the items used also. I bought some axle stands and a low-profile trolley jack from SGS Engineering. As you say - tools for life, and reasonably priced with super quick delivery too. The only change I made, was that I used Hammerite satin black paint. I found that it needed to be put on quite generously, but after two coats it looked really good. I used the opportunity to clean the inside of the wheel arch liners and the brake calliper. The inside of the wheels were de-tarred, fully cleaned, and then sealed with an alloy wheel sealing wax.

Mid-way through:

Finished:

Top tip: The Audi rings and outer shiny ring on the centre cap, can be removed from the inside by pushing the tabs of each badge from behind. They pop out easily and allow for super OCD satisfying cleaning!
https://ibb.co/t2y8q3p

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan, Jimbob76 and 2 others
Good write up however I found one clause that needs explaining regarding the lock bolts.
Rule of thumb is undo that first
Put in last
Stick to that mantra and you can't go wrong.

And, as I always use a wheel locating dowel, I rotate the wheel I'm working on so that the locking wheel bolt is at the top, remove it first and replace with the wheel locating dowel, and do in reverse when putting the wheels back on as I like to locate all the locking bolts in the same position which is either at the valve position or opposite the valve position depending on if it is Winter or Summer wheels I'm fitting/swopping over.

.....and I thought I was OCD

Reactions: Audi Bairn, rum4mo and CHEZ

Glad the write up was useful pal. And lovely looking S3 in exclusive Nogaro paint - very rare, and very nice colour with some heritage. Would love to see some more pix mate. Don’t see one of those every day.

Reactions: s3mad_dude and NevMan
Cheers Jim - It’s going to be washed in a few days so I’ll take a couple of piccies then, if the weather is nice. The only photo I have so far is the one I took when I went to buy it. Here’s a link to a photo/thread from when I bought it in Nov 2019. I love noggies and it’s the only colour 8V S3 I would have bought. I guess I got lucky because I’m always browsing autotrader and I recognised the colour. It wasn’t mentioned anywhere in the listing so I phoned up to get the paint code (I know....I’m such a nerd)...which led to me viewing the car....which ended up with a flight to Edinburgh and buying it!

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/nogaro-twins-new-8v-s3.407972/

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jimbob76

Jimbob, great write up, thank you. One dumb question from me though - where did you get the figure of 120Nm for the wheel nuts? I'm not questioning it, just interested where this information is available from.

Jimbob, great write up, thank you. One dumb question from me though - where did you get the figure of 120Nm for the wheel nuts? I'm not questioning it, just interested where this information is available from.
On my S4 it’s stated in the manual (but clearly no differentiation between A4 models therefore!). It’s pretty tight, but the stated torque wrench worked nicely for me.

Reactions: NevMan
On my S4 it’s stated in the manual (but clearly no differentiation between A4 models therefore!). It’s pretty tight, but the stated torque wrench worked nicely for me.
Thanks, stupid question no two then.... where did you get a manual from? I have always had haynes manuals for older cars, but they don't seem to be available for newer models. There are loads on online downloads available, but I don't know which ones to trust/commit my money to!

Sorry - I meant the “owners handbook” that comes with all cars LOL ! The torque setting is buried in the text about “changing a wheel”. Hope that helps

Sorry - I meant the “owners handbook” that comes with all cars LOL ! The torque setting is buried in the text about “changing a wheel”. Hope that helps
Roger that! Thanks.

Phil-1, what colour are your wheels ? And on what colour car ?

Sorry only just seen your reply.

The wheels are shadow chrome powder coated. Was going to go original but think these look better on a white car

Sorry only just seen your reply.

The wheels are shadow chrome powder coated. Was going to go original but think these look better on a white car

They look lovely mate, but show is the whole car with wheels

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Neil C
There's jacking points for the front that the Golf owners retrofit that the A3 8V came standard with and can then lower the car onto axle stands at the sill where the scissor jack would locate

I've the same car. Wheels look better standard. My good pal has ruined many nice cars he's had by having black wheels instead of leaving them standard

I've the same car. Wheels look better standard. My good pal has ruined many nice cars he's had by having black wheels instead of leaving them standard

Hi
If you are referring to my photo the wheels are not black shadow chrome. The standard wheels are great but mine needed a refurbishment and I wanted something different to the other white A3.