Lights faults in A3 2009

Steve Igos

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, how are you?

I would like to know if they have already gone through a similar situation. My 2009 A3 is showing error in the bulbs (and recently the left part "burned completely").

In the panel, there is a fault in the middle lights, fog, etc. However they work normally, I added in quotation marks that burned, because I went to change my headlight kit and the workshop found that they were not burned and indicated that there may be an electrical problem, one of the technicians said that it may be necessary to change the relay box / fuses to solve the problem.

NOTE: After walking a little with the car and turning on the headlights it erases the error, but if I turn on the headlights before the error appears they will not disappear.
NOTE 2: I have another intermittent problem on the ports, sometimes they unlock the key alarm and sometimes not, and randomly reaches the doors, is it related?

Hugs!

Worth getting your car scanned either using a gen Vcd's cable or Carista

If you have changed any of the bulbs, they do need to be the same type as the originals. The CanBus system will give errors if you have substituted a halogen bulb for an LED type bulb.
Check the bulbs in their holders for a good connection as this may also bring up a bulb failure. If all this is still ok then then change the bulb for a new one, even a working bulb can give errors.

Worth getting your car scanned either using a gen Vcd's cable or Carista
Thanks for your response, however I will not be able to run this scan.

If you have changed any of the bulbs, they do need to be the same type as the originals. The CanBus system will give errors if you have substituted a halogen bulb for an LED type bulb.
Check the bulbs in their holders for a good connection as this may also bring up a bulb failure. If all this is still ok then then change the bulb for a new one, even a working bulb can give errors.
I actually installed an LED kit, and previously there was a weaker one, however in this was connected a call (here in Brazil) "canceller", apparently this device that resembles a small black box made this control to not give errors in the car.

I do not care about the errors at the moment, because after the errors appear and I turn on all the LEDs the errors disappear. But I wonder if this can harm the car in some way like damage to the electrical part. Do you have any idea if this can happen?

The led bulbs won’t harm the car, you’ll just have to put up with the bulb error. The canceller is not doing its job so try another version. In the UK we use a a resistor connected in parallel with each bulb to simulate the original filament bulbs or led bulbs that have a built in canceller, See here https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/forums/products.212/

Thanks for the information you submitted.

I sent it to an auto, they said they didn't identify any wiring problems but did something to make the lamps stay on and working normally.

It's been a while since this repair. And unfortunately the lamp problem has returned again.

When I start the car the errors appear as before, I turn on the headlights and they work for a while. It seems that after braking or turning the right arrow the headlight bulb fails, and as a result the right front and rear arrows fail (that of the rearview mirror is still working), the left brake light also fails.

I really can't understand what it can be and it seems the mechanics don't either. Are these problems familiar or can you tell me what could be the cause with these details?

I’ve fixed a problem with similar symptoms caused in with the engine bay fuse box fuse holder.

Inspect and wobble the blade fuse inside the holder, mine was the fuse socket being over heated due to poor connection, it was the 30A one in this instance.
Won’t go into how I fixed it.

Sometimes those resistors still don’t stop errors or fast flash. I bought an Oxford led indicator set for my CBR which came with resistors and it still fast flashed. I had to change the indicator relay to fix it.

On my A4 mind I just used vcds to tell it not to monitor the bulbs and never had a problem.

Hi there pals

I'm having same problem (or at least it does seem) on my ride

Will throw errors on rear blinker, when switched on will fail for two or three times then error disappears and blinker does work ok. Also rear brake light fails randomly. On the front right light does fail sometimes (xenon bulb). It has some deteriorated cables so may also cause that issue.

On my case I'm on the hunt for wiring loom repair kit but seems there's none for my model car.

Hi there pals

I'm having same problem (or at least it does seem) on my ride

Will throw errors on rear blinker, when switched on will fail for two or three times then error disappears and blinker does work ok. Also rear brake light fails randomly. On the front right light does fail sometimes (xenon bulb). It has some deteriorated cables so may also cause that issue.

On my case I'm on the hunt for wiring loom repair kit but seems there's none for my model car.

Make sure all the bulbs and bulb holders have good and clean connections without any of the corrosion that you can sometimes find on bulbs, some very fine wet & dry paper can work wonders if you have....
Also, I find Audi’s with these bulb monitoring systems don’t like cheapy bulbs , on an A4 I once had the car hated cheap brake light bulbs (it would often say a brake light was out ) but if an OEM-quality bulb was used eg Bosch or Osram there would be no trouble.
Since then , I’ve only ever fitted ‘premium’ quality bulbs to my Audi’s ........

Check the 30A fuse holder I mentioned in the engine bay.

This was causing the rear brake lights not to function some hazard lights and also the front right headlight beam (makes no sense why it was only one side but it is what it is). Fixing the fuse holder corrected the issue.

Make sure all the bulbs and bulb holders have good and clean connections without any of the corrosion that you can sometimes find on bulbs, some very fine wet & dry paper can work wonders if you have....
Also, I find Audi’s with these bulb monitoring systems don’t like cheapy bulbs , on an A4 I once had the car hated cheap brake light bulbs (it would often say a brake light was out ) but if an OEM-quality bulb was used eg Bosch or Osram there would be no trouble.
Since then , I’ve only ever fitted ‘premium’ quality bulbs to my Audi’s ........
Check

I'll check both light bulb quality and fuse on engine bay.

Thanks for the replys mates

Also, does anyone know about headlight wiring harness kits for this car?

thanks in advance