Just bought a 2.0TFSI Quattro! First things to do?

• Thread starter Deleted member 138002
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 138002

Evening all,

I've just purchased a 2007 A4 2.0T FSI Quattro Special Edition, its a lovely car and I'm really enjoying it. Its high mileage at 120k, but has a full service history and drives beautifully so I'm hoping that sort of mileage is nothing to worry about. Would be great to hear of any stories of higher mileage examples, and how well they fair.

I'm doing the standard new owner procedure at the moment, new 5w-40 fully synthetic oil and filters, and new gearbox oil too. My friend who also owns a B7 A4 2.0T has suggested I get the cam follower done ASAP, so I've been looking into it and it appears to be a weak point on these. I have found a full kit to do it, is this the correct part? https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/awesome/2-0tfsi-cam-follower-replacement-kit/?revpage=2 #product-reviews

Bearing in mind the mileage, what else would you suggest I do to ensure the next 50k go as smoothly as possible? Happy to put in some money in preventative maintenance now to ensure it serves me well, as I plan on keeping it for 5 years or so.

Thanks for any help/guidance and look forward to becoming a part of the community!
Ben

Reactions: Jack Kelly
Welcome and congrats on your excellent choice.
You will find all the help and info you'll ever need in this forum, its the best and with very knowledgeable guys to help out.
Very good idea to go with the 5w-40 as its is better than the 5w-30 that is normally used., you'll find oil consumption much lower with the 5w-40.

As you have the BUL engine , the cam follower is less likely to be effected by the poor wearing follower problem found on the other codes.
The BUL had a revised setup so a tad more reliable.
If you need to get one just pick one up from audi parts as the cost maybe be less than awesome, mine was.

A big thing to remember is that preventative maintainance is all good and well but don't become a slave to it , it can be very easy to become obsessed with replacing parts on these cars when they just don't need it, enjoy driving it not fixing it.
Modding projects are great but can be a drain on your wallet very quickly unless you keep a track on things.
Anyway , enjoy it chap its the most grin factor you can get in a sensible family car, a wolf in sheep clothing.
good luck
rob

You will find all the help and info you'll ever need in this forum, its the best and with very knowledgeable guys to help out.
Very good idea to go with the 5w-40 as its is better than the 5w-30 that is normally used., you'll find oil consumption much lower with the 5w-40.

As you have the BUL engine , the cam follower is less likely to be effected by the poor wearing follower problem found on the other codes.
If you need to get one just pick one up from audi parts as the cost maybe be less than awesome, mine was.

A big thing to remember is that preventative maintainance is all good and well but don't become a slave to it , it can be very easy to become obsessed with replacing parts on these cars when they just don't need it, enjoy driving it not fixing it.
Modding projects are great but can be a drain on your wallet very quickly unless you keep a track on things.
Anyway , enjoy it chap its the most grin factor you can get in a sensible family car, a wolf in sheep clothing.
good luck
rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you have any ideas how these engines fair with the higher mileages? Hoping to keep this for a good while you see :)

I see you mention the BUL have a revised setup, thats great to hear. I imagine that means I'll need a different kit to get it done than the one I posted, would you be able to point me in the right direction at all?

Ben

They can last very well if looked after, oil and filter changes are very important on these engine , keep them regular and at shorter interval/milage with decent oil etc , that help keep ontop of a lot of problems which stem from the dreaded long life service schedule.
These engine can and do get effected by numerous issues but that's not to say everyone will get them , at higher milages quite a few bits should have hopefully been replaced .

Don't forget piccy's aswell.
Is it a mk1 or mk2 ?

They can last very well if looked after, oil and filter changes are very important on these engine , keep them regular and at shorter interval/milage with decent oil etc , that help keep ontop of a lot of problems which stem from the dreaded long life service schedule.
These engine can and do get effected by numerous issues but that's not to say everyone will get them , at higher milages quite a few bits should have hopefully been replaced .

Unfortunately, this started life on the long term service life schedule. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the oil change record, I've just worked out the numbers:

Mileage ------ Interval
15,539 -------- 15,539*
31,624 -------- 16,085*
48,374 -------- 16,750*
66,199 -------- 17,825*
73,583 -------- 7,384
82,645 -------- 9,062
90,507 -------- 7,862
102,330 ------ 11,823
113,535 ------ 11,205
119,974 ------ 6,439

Aside from those three changes marked with a *, I think the oil change intervals have been acceptable, if less regular than I would personally do (every 6000 miles). It's clear from the mileage versus age, its likely done a fair bit of motorway miles which makes life easier on the oil in the extended service interval. Going forward I will be using Fuchs Titan Race Pro-S, which is a very high quality Ester-based fully synthetic oil that should massive reduce internal wear on the components.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget piccy's aswell.
Is it a mk1 or mk2 ?

Here she is :)

55630486-421789611916929-1488639160896978944-n-1.jpg

Another thing I'd like to service is the 4WD system, but never having owned a 4WD car before I don't really know where to start. I presume both diffs will enjoy fresh oil, what else can be serviced within the Torsen system?

Unfortunately, this started life on the long term service life schedule. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the oil change record, I've just worked out the numbers:

Mileage     Interval
15539     0
31624     16085*
48374     16750*
66199     17825*
73583     7384
82645     9062
90507     7862
102330     11823
113535     11205

Aside from those three changes marked with a *, I think the oil change intervals have been acceptable, if less regular than I would personally do (every 6000 miles). It's clear from the mileage versus age, its likely done a fair bit of motorway miles which makes life easier on the oil in the extended service interval. Going forward I will be using Fuchs Titan Race Pro-S, which is a very high quality Ester-based fully synthetic oil that should massive reduce internal wear on the components.

yep, I use the titan race pro and find it excellent, well have been for a few years now.
Motorway miles will have been better than local short stop start trips where engine never really gets up to temp and the oil just sits there just getting dirtier and more contaminated.

Allways a good idea to swap out the oem flat panel air filter with a more free flowing panel filter.
Check the cabin filter aswell as they get really dirty very quickly.

looks like a mk2 from that pic, black window trims etc, lemans alloys and a black grille , well a few other bits aswell.

You've got it spot on! What differs between Mk1 and Mk2, and when did the Mk2 appear? Another pic for you :)

54728160-2338597299752979-298749661592682496-n.jpg

Reactions: Alpinachris
mostly just cosmetic changes really.
Mk1 has satin silver trim & brightwork , Ronal wheels (DTM alloys) etc, dark grille with chrome surround, same BUL 220 Engine chassis and running gear.
you'll find as with most audi's, no two are the same spec wise, and spec levels can vary wildly.

Allways a good idea to swap out the oem flat panel air filter with a more free flowing panel filter.
Check the cabin filter aswell as they get really dirty very quickly.
Just on this point, I had a K&N which my mechanic recommended getting rid of as it was oiling up the intake manifold. I expect some of it could be from the PCV (?), but some will also be from the K&N.

He's quite against taking things away from OEM, so I'm wondering how much of a problem it really is and if we should keep our filters stock, or put a free-er flowing K&N in?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

good luck
rob

Hi Rob, very interested to hear about the differences with the BUL cam follower. Any sources?

Reactions: Jack Kelly
part of a well read thread.

Cam follower wear.
The main weak spot is the cam follower located below the high pressure mechanical fuel pump. it has a low friction coating on it a bit like "Teflon". The follower resembles a thimble that sits on the bottom of the fuel pump. Check this every few years or at 30,000 miles for wear. This fault was altered in later models with a different cam lobe set up, for example the 220bhp BUL engines are not affected by this issue. You are looking out for the coating wearing off, if it has worn down and exposes a metal surface this causes very quick wear through the follower and damages the cam shaft. The first you'll know about it is in lost fuel pump pressure and a check engine warning light coming on. It is a simple check that most drivers can perform. Be very careful about the extremely high fuel pump pressures and ensure the pressure is released from the system, a jet of fuel at this pressure could potentially cut through bone or at the very least cause major injury.

they still wear but no where near as bad as the chocolate ones.

part of a well read thread.

Cam follower wear.
The main weak spot is the cam follower located below the high pressure mechanical fuel pump. it has a low friction coating on it a bit like "Teflon". The follower resembles a thimble that sits on the bottom of the fuel pump. Check this every few years or at 30,000 miles for wear. This fault was altered in later models with a different cam lobe set up, for example the 220bhp BUL engines are not affected by this issue. You are looking out for the coating wearing off, if it has worn down and exposes a metal surface this causes very quick wear through the follower and damages the cam shaft. The first you'll know about it is in lost fuel pump pressure and a check engine warning light coming on. It is a simple check that most drivers can perform. Be very careful about the extremely high fuel pump pressures and ensure the pressure is released from the system, a jet of fuel at this pressure could potentially cut through bone or at the very least cause major injury.

Any chance of a link to that thread please Rob? Would love to have a read

here you go,its been on the interwebby for a fair while but does give a some general info, but for more indepth info the b7 forum will throw up more specific areas.
Ingore the bit about 5w-30 oil , stick with the ester 5w-40 .

The BUL code engine is the best of the bunch by far .

https://www.torquecars.com/volkswagen/2-0-tfsi-tuning.php

I guess my BUL is an exception to the rule, as it's had a few cam follower replacements.

no you are not alone chap, they still wear just not as fast …..i'm on second at 72k.

Evening Richard, your allways welcome to join any conversation..:icon thumright:

Cant say as I have , are you considering it.

Read a few good reviews on it but I don't think it will do much to clear the carbon buildup in the intake ports, but may help clear lighter deposits in other parts.
worth a go.

Hi Rob, I did not know about it until I read your link Torque cars. Has anyone used it?
I also need a PCV delete kit as well :grinning: