Help Fixing/diagnose Sound issue

10suraj10

Reaction score
I currently have a 2013 Audi A3 3 Door S Line.
I am experiencing problems with my Audi MMI Navigation Plus system.

Issue Faced:
Turn Car On
Play Radio/Media/Bluetooth/CD
Volume is very low and no difference between volume setting 16 to 36 with hardly any bass

Other Times
Turn Car On
Play Radio/Bluetooth/Media/CD
Volume is much louder and any volume setting after 23 is very loud and with bass

A 3 button hard reset sometimes solves this issue but not always

I expect the car to be like “Other Times” but its hitting and missing at the moment and not sure what the problem is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the MMI/amp is failing.
There’s been a few threads on here about them needing replaced.

Do you know estimated cost of replacing an AMP or what AMP i would require?

Wouldn’t have a clue. At a guess I reckon £800+ for new.
There’s so many variation as well. MMI+, rmc, Bose or b&o, Audi connect etc
The parts have component protection as well so even second hand parts will require diagnostic gear to code into your car.

I have the issue where after 22,the volume stays at the same level, but some people have said this is the settings where the music is lower to preserve speakers or something , and also the settings where music is adjusted to road noise, but from 22 upwards,, theres literally no difference

I have the issue where after 22,the volume stays at the same level, but some people have said this is the settings where the music is lower to preserve speakers or something , and also the settings where music is adjusted to road noise, but from 22 upwards,, theres literally no difference

Think that’s by design to protect the speakers.
All 3 of my a6 was like that with the ***.

But i dont understand why sometimes it works perfectly and can real decent quality sound with bass... than other times nothing but mainly treble

But i dont understand why sometimes it works perfectly and can real decent quality sound with bass... than other times nothing but mainly treble

Could be dry/burst capacitors or dry solder joint in the chip board.i assume Humidity and ambient temp will make these faults behave differently.

Could be dry/burst capacitors or dry solder joint in the chip board.i assume Humidity and ambient temp will make these faults behave differently.

Any recommendation of places that can help me in west london? Or just go to audi?

@DJAlix on here is in London somewhere. Might be worth giving him a shout.
He’s just been up to Scotland to do some work and I would highly recommend him.

Reactions: DJAlix
Hi All,

Update:

I went to see DJAlix with a last minute appointment today which was awesome of him !

He connected the car to the diagnostic tool and here are some findings:

- the head unit in my car was not original and had been replaced with potentially one from a different region

-The head unit seems to be taken from a car that had subwoofers ( this is why i saw subwoofers option in tone settings)

- When it was replaced they only coded component protection but did not configure the head unit to the speakers i actually had which alex rectified.

Did it fix my issue?
Sort of, i dont have volume discrepancy anymore but instead really bad sound quality where if i turn the bass setting up at all i get very distorted sound.

I dont believe this is speaker related because before the config i was at times able to get good quality sound now none at all... the only variable being my head unit is properly set up

My own opinion is that the head unit is still the problem as before i was able to get decent sound depending how the car felt when starting up compared to now where its properly configured but giving bad sound quality.

My next steps... to see if the dealer i bought the car from would be willing to replace the head unit as i purchased last week second hand

P.S DJAlix is the guy to see !! Very great service... honest and an expert!!

Reactions: AlS3BE and DJAlix
Quick Update:

Today i turned my car on this morning and was receiving no sound from any type of media or radio

I done a hard reset by pressing the 3 buttons and surprisingly enough i had my good quality sound back no more crackling and decent bass at full volume!!!! ( i assume this will be short lived as it was originally hit and miss)

However like i mentioned before i raised this to the dealer (non audi) and they have agreed to change the head unit and have requested @DJAlix to fit the part as they were impressed with his knowledge and expertise.

To me its all pointing to the head unit at the moment and i will give the next update once its been replaced to hopefully a final solution to this problem.

Good result. Looks like one failed previously and a second hand one was fitted, although wasn’t properly, and now this one has failed also.
Worrying thing is does this eventually happen to all these units as there’s been quite a few threads on here about this.

Hi All,

Here an update on my issue.. it got fixed !

How?

I had to reach out to a company (revtronic) i found on ebay that is based near manchester that fix audi head units.

I took my head unit out and sent it to them
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/123753359080

They charge £350 to repair the head unit. The problem was a physical problem with the sound output component. They fixed this and gave me 12 month warranty on the head unit.

The turn around time was about a week, and now the head unit sounds perfect at all volume levels!