Aftermarket Seats

PaddyMcpadington

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone knows how simple it is to fit an aftermarket seat for the driver. I really hate the lack of support on the basic A3 se Seats
I really fancied seats similar to the ones in the new fiesta ST.
would I have to purchase new rails? Or are there kits available now?
Or if anyone knows which aftermarket seats could directly fit the standard rails?

Really not sure in this area, any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have tried searching, but there aren't any recent posts regarding this.

I've attached an image of the fiesta ST seats

Cheers
14 ford fiesta st 2018 rt cabin

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

Air bag will be your biggest problem. Audi seats have side airbags and if it doesn’t detect it then I assume all airbags will turn off and flag a light on the dash. I think airbag light is an mot failure as well.
Not sure if vcds can code them out or the old resistor trick will still work with newer cars.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Damo S
Air bag will be your biggest problem. Audi seats have side airbags and if it doesn’t detect it then I assume all airbags will turn off and flag a light on the dash. I think airbag light is an mot failure as well.
Not sure if vcds can code them out or the old resistor trick will still work with newer cars.
Are damn, I didn't realise the side airbags would be in the seats
Probably best to stick with Audi seats then

I wouldn’t spend the money on s line or S3 super sports seats either, I’ve got the super sports and the lateral support isn’t very good.

Reactions: PaddyMcpadington
I wouldn’t spend the money on s line or S3 super sports seats either, I’ve got the super sports and the lateral support isn’t very good.
that's crap lol, probably why we need side airbags

I wonder if the Leon cupra seats or golf r seats would have better support and compatibility considering they are all part of the same group

Cloth Sport seats are great. What engine do you have in your A3 to be needing lateral support?!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-AUD...745914&hash=item3d40781b56:g:5dIAAOSwceNZXgEW
I'm about to put coilovers on it soon. So there will be a lot less body roll. Where that'll impact is the lateral positioning of the car and me in the seat depending how hard the vehicle is pushed.

Engine size is not relevant as it only effects acceleration of a vehicle, but really it only matters what speed you want to maintain around corners/bends.
Most engines can maintain a speed.

Reactions: Ormesome
Have to say the Recaro seats in both Fiesta and Focus ST's offer excellent all round support and comfort. :sunglasses:
IMO seats of this style should be standard in a car with the performance potential of an S3.
Finding out how little side support the standard seats offer came as a surprise and disappointment to me.

Reactions: TYb and PaddyMcpadington
Have to say the Recaro seats in both Fiesta and Focus ST's offer excellent all round support and comfort. :sunglasses:
IMO seats of this style should be standard in a car with the performance potential of an S3.
Finding out how little side support the standard seats offer came as a surprise and disappointment to me.
Exactly, I recently nearly sold my A3 to go for a brand new fiesta ST. They're so good, the price for what they offer is unrivalled !

maybe Audi got fed up with warrenty claims for scuffed side bolsters lol. The VAG range fo look a bit tame, even the Corsa VXR seats look more exciting

that's **** lol, probably why we need side airbags

I wonder if the Leon cupra seats or golf r seats would have better support and compatibility considering they are all part of the same group

The seats in the mk7 GTD are much more supportive, just not as good looking.

i do find it strange how all the older fast Audi’s came with recaros and now you get s line seats or super sport seats. Maybe other brands were using recaros and Audi wanted to distance themselves away from likes of Ford and Honda etc.
The super sport seats looks great but I didn’t find them offering any more support to the sline and on the s3/a3 it’s not the full super sport seats it’s just the back, the bottom is the same as the s line which is where I find I need more support.

i do find it strange how all the older fast Audi’s came with recaros and now you get s line seats or super sport seats. Maybe other brands were using recaros and Audi wanted to distance themselves away from likes of Ford and Honda etc.
The super sport seats looks great but I didn’t find them offering any more support to the sline and on the s3/a3 it’s not the full super sport seats it’s just the back, the bottom is the same as the s line which is where I find I need more support.
Even if they have distanced themselves, it hasn't done any good

It could be driven from their clientele.
Focus st, Vxrs, type r are typically bought by younger drivers but Audi drivers tend to be a bit older and chunkier in the midriff :wink:
Could be they struggled with the bucket type seats and Audi decided to put comfier seats in their fast cars.

It could be driven from their clientele.
Focus st, Vxrs, type r are typically bought by younger drivers but Audi drivers tend to be a bit older and chunkier in the midriff :wink:
Could be they struggled with the bucket type seats and Audi decided to put comfier seats in their fast cars.

Yeh potentially, they could have done a better job balancing comfort and support. I find I have to have the base angled in a lot to get most support but end up with numb hamstrings on a long drive.

How do people overcome the airbag issue? Like is there a way to have all the others in the car work except for that side one?

How do people overcome the airbag issue? Like is there a way to have all the others in the car work except for that side one?

On older cars you put a resistor in place of the airbag. Not sure if that still works in newer cars.
Similar to replacing steering wheels with aftermarket one. Finding the correct resistance was the tricky bit.

Exactly, I recently nearly sold my A3 to go for a brand new fiesta ST. They're so good, the price for what they offer is unrivalled !

This will be of interest as well: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/mountune-has-boosted-brilliant-ford-fiesta-st

This is good:
Intriguingly, the third mode doesn’t move the car at all. It’s called Anti-Theft, and it totally immobilises your ST until you wake it up again with your phone. It’s like having a second key for the car, which is clever and ought to help with your insurance premium.

If I were buying new now I would get a Fiesta ST (mountune) in place of my S3. All about enjoying the journey rather than just getting there albeit very quickly. The 3 pot just adds to it.
Does that help?

The Mk7 Fiesta ST seats are good, My misses has them. way better than the S3 seats but the leather on the ST is largely faux (however no creases or wear compared to the S3 even at double the mileage.

The Mk7 Fiesta ST seats are good, My misses has them. way better than the S3 seats but the leather on the ST is largely faux (however no creases or wear compared to the S3 even at double the mileage.
I'm not bothered by faux leather. As long as it looks good and holds me in position

When I can be bothered, I'll do a little research into the airbag issue. I suspect that there's nothing I can do that's what's holding me back

pardon the pun ……. The airbag issue could be straight forward. they both have airbags so maybe just a change of plugs?
I didn't realise the ford seats have side airbags. I haven't properly looked into it yet
That's a good point though!