What drop for S-line on Sportline 50/40 springs?

AUD1_AL_2.0t

Reaction score
Afternoon all.

I have an A4 B7 2.0tfsi saloon S-line and have bought a set of Eibach sportline 50/40 springs. It looks like it might rub with a 50/40 drop, but I bought them on the basis they only drop the S-line by 30/40. Is this true??

Just want to confirm before I fit them.

And yeah i know.... I should have asked this before buying them lol....:highly amused:

Many thanks in advance.

Hoping to fit the springs this week at some point along with a full set of front suspension arms and links, but after some googling and post reading looking for hints and tips I have come across posts where others are saying they have trimmed their bump stops when lowering???

Is this really necessary, and should I trim mine while I'm at it?

Thanks again.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Only of the front end so far. It's been a ballache of a job tbh, she's fought with me tooth and nail haha... (Pinch bolt issues):persevere:

Im currently 3/4 of the way through though and have the rear up on stands at present. Weather permitting It should be finished this Saturday then I can get some proper photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20190302_183646.jpg
    IMG_20190302_183646.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20190302_183913.jpg
    IMG_20190302_183913.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 234
Done about 60 miles with just the fronts on so it did settled a bit more than you see above. Will post more pics soon as it's all done.

looks good chap, it will settle a bit more yet, rears should be a piece of cake now.

Reactions: AUD1_AL_2.0t
Thanks Rob, should be sitting nice when its all done and fully settled:grin:

Done the N/S/R after work tonight, and wasn't too bad to do. Hoping to get the O/S done tomorrow night or Saturday (weather permitting) :tearsofjoy:

Well done defeating the pinch bolts, I've got nothing printable to say about that bit of genius design. :)

Whats your ground clearance like underneath the front subframe area? I desperately need to close the front arch gap but im a bit concerned about knocking my sump off as it all looks a little low underneath as it is!

We have a lot of those little speed bumps around my end.

Well done defeating the pinch bolts, I've got nothing printable to say about that bit of genius design. :)

Same here, think I threw the dictionary of swear words at them during the process:tearsofjoy:. On a positive that's it finally all done as of 15 minutes ago. Yay... Think I'll wake up tomorrow with the cold, the flu, pneumonia, and arthritis all rolled into one.... the weather hasn't been very forgiving throughout this. #worthit!!

I will get it out a run tomorrow see how it settles, give it quick once over with the pressure washer and get some pics up.

Im done for tonight. Shower then:beercheers:.

Reactions: Baka and Charlie Farley
Don't forget a stiff drink to relax with your feet up.
:icon thumright:

I've changed my fronts and rears 3 times since owning the old bus, its gets easier with practice..lol

Whats your ground clearance like underneath the front subframe area? I desperately need to close the front arch gap but im a bit concerned about knocking my sump off as it all looks a little low underneath as it is!

We have a lot of those little speed bumps around my end.

Didn't do a great deal of miles with just the front down. Did go over some speed bumps though and it was fine. Although they were full width ones and not the partial pyramid with the top off type ones. Also I'm running without an under tray.

After I do some more miles in the car I will let you know how it goes with speed bumps but my gut is telling me that I won't be able to stradles the partial bumps.

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Don't forget a stiff drink to relax with your feet up.
:icon thumright:

I've changed my fronts and rears 3 times since owning the old bus, its gets easier with practice..lol

You hit the nail on the head Rob. That is the exact plan for the rest of the night :icon thumright:

Definitely gets easier, even noticed just going from the nearside rear last night to the offside rear tonight that it was easier.

Some pictures as requested, some before and some after. Last 3 are after. Also had to crop the life out of the pictures to upload

Rear hasn't gone down a great deal but over all I'm happy. Seems like a good safe drop all round, looks better, drives slightly better and should still allow me to carry a full load. Happy days.

Attachments

• IMG_20190302_183646.jpg
    IMG_20190302_183646.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20190309_154629.jpg
    IMG_20190309_154629.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_20190309_154704.jpg
    IMG_20190309_154704.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20190309_154904.jpg
    IMG_20190309_154904.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20190309_153117.jpg
    IMG_20190309_153117.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 222
  • IMG_20190309_155823.jpg
    IMG_20190309_155823.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_20190309_155953.jpg
    IMG_20190309_155953.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 217
Reactions: Baka and Charlie Farley
looks great, will drop over a few months and will be spot on then.
good work chap.:icon thumright:

You just need some spanking 18z's on the fronts.

Yup, also 19s fill the arch more than 18s before its dropped. I might just buy a set of springs and go with it. Besides if i do knock my sump off at least its an excuse to change the oil!

Yup, also 19s fill the arch more than 18s before its dropped. I might just buy a set of springs and go with it. Besides if i do knock my sump off at least its an excuse to change the oil!

Haha, that sounds like some good logic right there mate, also a good excuse for a complete engine build :sweatsmile:. Think you should be fine though. That said, I'm much more observant of the road surfaces now, even sit well back from cars in front too so I can see further ahead incase evasive action is required :tearsofjoy:.

The 19's dont really do much for the arch gap to be honest. I looked into it, and found that the difference in rolling radius between a 235/40/18 and a 235/35/19 is only 0.3 % greater with the 19 so if you're running 18's it will look/ sit pretty much the same with just a little less alloy and a little more rubber.
Changing the offsets so the wheel sits out further can create an appearance of being lower or having less of an arch gap, so you could pop some spacers on too :icon thumright:

Haha, that sounds like some good logic right there mate, also a good excuse for a complete engine build :sweatsmile:. Think you should be fine though. That said, I'm much more observant of the road surfaces now, even sit well back from cars in front too so I can see further ahead incase evasive action is required :tearsofjoy:.

The 19's dont really do much for the arch gap to be honest. I looked into it, and found that the difference in rolling radius between a 235/40/18 and a 235/35/19 is only 0.3 % greater with the 19 so if you're running 18's it will look/ sit pretty much the same with just a little less alloy and a little more rubber.
Changing the offsets so the wheel sits out further can create an appearance of being lower or having less of an arch gap, so you could pop some spacers on too :icon thumright:

Lol, im from Yorkshire, id be rescuing the old oil off the floor too! In all seriousness i think all should be fine, im not sure if the undertray just sits a little low or whether the whole car does if that makes sense, Ill have to take a look.

Its really only the front that wants lowering as i already have quite a saggy bottom! It bottoms out over speedbumps as it is when shes got 4 porkers in!

Now i'll input my bit .
I fitted H&R 45mm springs to my s-line dampers many moons ago, upgraded some time later to Bilstein B8's with the same H&R 45mm allround a few years ago, and still had 18" 8j alloys with 235/40 on and nothing changed ride height wise , well it wouldn't as the springs control the ride height.
Then changed to 19" 8j and 8.5j but on the same suspension setup with 235/35 tyres and nothing changed the ride height was the same and the gap still looks the same.
New springs do take a while to settle though so don't assume the ride height now is the finished height, it wont be.
My springs were nearly new when I got them , but evenso they had been on car for a few months so they had already settled when I fitted them.
just my input.

Reactions: AUD1_AL_2.0t and AvantAlexB7