Help!!!! Coolant warning!

sunscreemer

Back with the 4 rings
Reaction score
Hi, may be a basic issue this but i'm in a rush and have never had this issue before. Just about to get home and the "Switch off engine and check coolant level" warning in my S3 came on. I've checked and it seems to be almost 1cm below the minimum level. I'm only in work tomorrow now (meetings all day) then have to drive 40 miles to Birmingham airport on Thursday morning!

What should I do? I've never topped up the coolant before, I don't even know what type to get! Do you think it's leaking or can it just run a bit low? I may phone the dealer at 7am when they open but I need this sorted asap so I can get to the airport OK on Thursday morning.

Hi, may be a basic issue this but i'm in a rush and have never had this issue before. Just about to get home and the "Switch off engine and check coolant level" warning in my S3 came on. I've checked and it seems to be almost 1cm below the minimum level. I'm only in work tomorrow now (meetings all day) then have to drive 40 miles to Birmingham airport on Thursday morning!

What should I do? I've never topped up the coolant before, I don't even know what type to get! Do you think it's leaking or can it just run a bit low? I may phone the dealer at 7am when they open but I need this sorted asap so I can get to the airport OK on Thursday morning.

Very common thing on s3’s. Most likely the water pump and thermostat that will need changing as they are known to leak. Take it back to Audi if you still have warranty. And as far the coolant, you’ll need g13 coolant. You can find ready mixed ones are eurocarparts for around £3 for a litre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not an S3 but mine was low a week or so ago - got the warning light.

Topped up with G13 coolant (mixed with distilled water) & all seems fine

Not an S3 but mine was low a week or so ago - got the warning light.

Topped up with G13 coolant (mixed with distilled water) & all seems fine

I'm under warranty but I guess my fear is it's been caused by a radiator hole or something. My last A3 got a hole in the condenser for the a/c so even under warranty it was of course not covered and cost me a fortune!!

Very common thing on s3’s. Most likely the water pump and thermostat that will need changing as they are known to leak. Take it back to Audi if you still have warranty. And as far the coolant, you’ll need g13 coolant. You can find ready mixed ones are eurocarparts for around £3 for a litre.

Would you recommend I pick up some pre-mix top up on the way into work tomorrow morning, then i can top it up at lunchtime when the car has cooled down.

Then can monitor the level and ask Audi to check the system when it's in for it's transmission oil change after I get back from holiday? I got the extended warranty to 4 years so it's covered until beginning of September.

Would you recommend I pick up some pre-mix top up on the way into work tomorrow morning, then i can top it up at lunchtime when the car has cooled down.

Then can monitor the level and ask Audi to check the system when it's in for it's transmission oil change after I get back from holiday? I got the extended warranty to 4 years so it's covered until beginning of September.

Yes, you could do that. Sometimes Audi won’t always change parts on the first instance of it happening and just top it up anyway. But I would get it checked as soon as possible.

If it’s only just below just top up with water to the low line if it clears the light you know that’s it. Then at some point you can top up with coolant. Also, if it’s only just low more than likely won’t be a leak. Should be ok to drive but after each drive I would just double check it’s not dropped any more.

I’d just top up with one or the other to get you where you need to be. Keep an eye on it for the time being and see how you get on, see if it develops and go from there.

Obviously every car is different and could be a different cause...

Here’s mine from the other week when my warning light came on. I’d expected a leak or something but topped it up and it’s not moved when I checked a couple of days ago...

a7dc60e1f2a65ad9ee96d944a0f059e8.jpg

Reactions: MikeParkin
Thanks for the replies guys, I feel a bit better now. Lots of stress at the moment and this is not a good time to add to it! I've reserved some pre-mix top up to pick up in the morning so i'll check before i leave, top it up then monitor it and maybe get Audi to check it when i have my transmission oil change done next month.

Reactions: MikeParkin
Mine came on a few times, even after topping up... 2 weeks later it was asking for more, so had a leak somewhere. I do about 300 miles a week in it. Turned out to be the thermostat I think, replaced under warranty. Get it into Audi for them to have a look regardless. Oddly, I can still smell burning coolant when I turn the car off after a run, so I think the problem may still be there... Coolant level seems okay atm though.

Hi guys. Back from my 3 week hols - coolant level looks fine since i topped it up just before I went away, but of course it's mostly been standing still so if there is any leak it must be happening when it's running. I shall call Audi tomorrow and ask if they can have a look on Saturday when it goes in for it's transmission oil change.

Just got back from transmission oil change. Turns out the coolant leak is from the thermostat housing which is to be replaced under warranty. Just waiting for the part to be ordered.

Just got back from transmission oil change. Turns out the coolant leak is from the thermostat housing which is to be replaced under warranty. Just waiting for the part to be ordered.

That’s good news

Mines been ok since top up thankfully

That’s good news

Mines been ok since top up thankfully

That's good news, but as I posted in another thread i'm told the propshaft damper bush is split and needs doing and they're not sure (why they're no sure I don't know) if it's covered under warranty or not. Plus I need rear brake pads and discs so that's almost £500.