S4 booked for major service - anything else to consider?

mk4gtiturbo

Reaction score
Car is booked for a major service with an Indy week after next (Tuesday 29). Garage have quoted oil filter, air filter, sump plug, pollen filter, plus engine flush. In addition I have asked for Supercharger belt and Aux belt to be done. The spark plugs were done last year so I have said not to do them.

Car is a 2009 on 53k miles. Anything missing from the list or anything else I should consider?

Is it S-Tronic (DSG) ? Is so when was the gearbox service done?

Reactions: V6_Man
It is S-tronic but had a load of work done by Audi in 2014 (12k miles ago) so think that is probably ok for now. I think I'm right in saying (or at least with my previous DSG's) it's done by mileage and not by time?

It is S-tronic but had a load of work done by Audi in 2014 (12k miles ago) so think that is probably ok for now. I think I'm right in saying (or at least with my previous DSG's) it's done by mileage and not by time?

The DSG service is done by mileage yes, you are right however, you need to know/find out when was it last serviced. If it has been serviced only once in the last 10 years (as the car is 2009 reg) then I would definitely get it done. And the reason for that is that overtime gearbox oil gets dirty, which will affect the performance and damage other components. Dirty oil can overheat the gearbox and cause the clutches to burn out it, which as a result can also stop the gear change being as smooth and eventually cause the system to fail all together.

I am also not sure whether or not your S4 is stock or tuned, in case it is tuned it is yet another reason why you should get it done at the same time.

Quite a few forum members especially the ones who have theirs tuned had their DSGs serviced earlier than the indicated intervals including myself. It is better to be safe then ...

I do low miles so have settled on a DSG service every 4 years as I won't make the 38k miles. I don't fancy a £12k bill for a new gearbox. :)

Reactions: V6_Man
Thanks for the replies, car is not tuned (yet!!). I'll look into a gearbox service a bit later in the year I think, this is costing enough (MOT and tax due as well!!)

My plan is
3 year service (done) s-tronic ATF
5 year service sports diff ATF & hypoid (gear)
6 year service s-tronic ATF & hypoid

I'm doing just over 4K per year and the car is tuned.

I'd agree with @scotty76 that for a low mileage untuned car don't leave the s-tronic ATF longer than 4 or 5 years, and consider doing the hypoid at some point if you plan to keep the car.