Boot not opening

A4 s-line

Reaction score
Hello folks looking for some advise on an issue I am experiencing. The boot on my Audi A4 1.8t s-line 56 plate which I believe is the b7 will not open. I will explain a little further. The mech sounds as if it’s working eg when pressing the rubber release handle and also when using the keyfob it’s making all the noises and even showing on the dash that boot is open until I apply I bit a pressure then it shows on the dash as closed again. So I am obviously thinking it’s opeining but I just can lift it open if that makes sense it’s well and truly jammed and it’s not frozen. As all of you can imagine if I can’t get the actual boot lid to lift I can’t investigste to what the actual problem is. Any suggestions on how to sort this out. I can lift the roof half way (I know this isn’t a good idea sorry) but I want to get to the bottom of this. I can’t even find a manual button/switch to open it. I really am stumped on this one apart from smashing a hole in the boot.

Very kind regards

Ow and I forgot to mention the key does nothing either. Very strange one this I have never encountered an issue with a car that can’t be solved but if any of you kind folks have some knowledge please could you point me in the right direction.

Very kind regards

If its like my old 58 plate jetta theres a manual release inside the boot. So i had to lower the back seats and climb in. You removed a little bit of trim directly above the lock mechanism and you had to push a latch over with a flat blade screwdriver

Cheers for the reply it’s much appreciated. The problem is my back seats don’t fold down with it being the convertible. I have put the roof half way up and can access the boot by lying basically across the car so I do have access but very minimal. Where was the latch and i will have a look. It’s not that I use the boot very often I am just interested on this as there must be a work around without ripping the boot open and having to replace it with a new one.

Very kind regards

Cheers for the reply it’s much appreciated. The problem is my back seats don’t fold down with it being the convertible. I have put the roof half way up and can access the boot by lying basically across the car so I do have access but very minimal. Where was the latch and i will have a look. It’s not that I use the boot very often I am just interested on this as there must be a work around without ripping the boot open and having to replace it with a new one.

Very kind regards

If I remember correctly, directly in the centre of the boot lid if your looking from the inside of the car and about 3cm up from the bottom edge there was a small plastic disk you could remove to reveal the lock mechanism. My wife’s current polo just has a small cut in the boot panel. Not sure if its the same but worth a look.

This might sound daft but I've had the same on my saloon a few times, not sure why as I don't particularly think it's been frozen or anything either but persistence, more force and lots of swear words eventually prevail, could be wrong but I've always felt it's just because the parts that assist with pushing the boot up just don't do their job every once in a while. Best of luck anyway mate, if nothing important is trapped in the boot I'd say best thing to do is be persistent and have a few more goes every few hours when you've got a spare minute then if/when it does eventually open try spot anything obvious moving it up and down a few times.

Hello folks looking for some advise on an issue I am experiencing. The boot on my Audi A4 1.8t s-line 56 plate which I believe is the b7 will not open. I will explain a little further. The mech sounds as if it’s working eg when pressing the rubber release handle and also when using the keyfob it’s making all the noises and even showing on the dash that boot is open until I apply I bit a pressure then it shows on the dash as closed again. So I am obviously thinking it’s opeining but I just can lift it open if that makes sense it’s well and truly jammed and it’s not frozen. As all of you can imagine if I can’t get the actual boot lid to lift I can’t investigste to what the actual problem is. Any suggestions on how to sort this out. I can lift the roof half way (I know this isn’t a good idea sorry) but I want to get to the bottom of this. I can’t even find a manual button/switch to open it. I really am stumped on this one apart from smashing a hole in the boot.

Very kind regards
The problem is the wiring to the boot with time can became drawn from the opening and closing movement. I think only an electrician can solve it definitely or at least temporarily bypassing the wire that broke! Mine did it!