Audi LED Number Plate Issue

Russ Gregory

Reaction score
Hi all. Hoping someone can help. Fitted some Audi A5 OEM LED number plate bulbs to my Audi S3 8p 2010 on the weekend and now I have the bulb warning light on the dash. Any ideas on how I can sort it?
Thanks in advance.

yep I did the same thing you need this...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The coding doesn’t always work particularly on late 2010 early 2011 models - mine didn’t. After much investigation it comes down to the BCM version installed. Certainly try the coding first before fiddling with resistors.

Reactions: samuelh_888
Tried what you said Sam. No joy. Thought I’d go OEM and I’ve got more of an issue than I had with aftermarket non-gen LED lights lol.

It was your project thread that made me want to get the A5 OEM number plate lights. Great car btw.

Reactions: samuelh_888
Tried what you said Sam. No joy. Thought I’d go OEM and I’ve got more of an issue than I had with aftermarket non-gen LED lights lol.

It was your project thread that made me want to get the A5 OEM number plate lights. Great car btw.
the risister is so easy to fit if programing it's not working just put one wire to + and the other wire to - done nice and easy.

Have you still got the car with you in New Zealand Sam?

I sure do! It's running perfectly at the moment so long may it last. It's very difficult to get aftermarket parts and very expensive to get OEM parts here, so I'm still ordering bits and pieces from abroad...

Is it just the one resistor that I need?
yep just the one.. best way to test keep one led in and one bulb lamp. Turn off the car and put it back on the lights will be on this will because the resistance of the bulb. this is why a resister works it makes the car think it has a bulb by taking the same resistance. hope this helps.

I sure do! It's running perfectly at the moment so long may it last. It's very difficult to get aftermarket parts and very expensive to get OEM parts here, so I'm still ordering bits and pieces from abroad...
Made any more mods lately?

so you installed them and they stopped working or they are working and you have an error on dis?
I installed them. The LED’s work fine. The bulb out error comes on as soon as I turn the ignition on.

The coding doesn’t always work particularly on late 2010 early 2011 models - mine didn’t. After much investigation it comes down to the BCM version installed. Certainly try the coding first before fiddling with resistors.

Think my issue is the same as yours.

maybe I'm daft but did you turn off Cold Diagnostics as that can eliminate the error. If not then one resistor is enough to trick the canbus. just need a 100 ohm iirc

I’m in the same boat, have the a5 LEDs they work and look good it’s just the warning on the dash I’ve ordered the resistors but not sure how and where to fit them :/

Update on this. Bought cable from Kufatec to sort the bulb warning issue. Changed settings on VCDS to LED. Tried turning cold bulb setting off. Tried everything that has been suggested. Nothing worked. Kept getting the bulb warning on the DIS. Ended up taking off Kufatec cable turning off LED setting in VCDS and putting original standard white festoon bulbs and holders back in and the bulb warning has gone off.

Also, I did start a separate thread but does anyone know why my comfort signals go from 5 flashes when changed in VCDS back to 3 flashes when I disconnect the VCDS from the car???

I’ve still got the warning light on too as I’ve kept the a5 LEDs in. I don’t know anyone with VCDS to try that for me. I have bought some resistors which where linked on one of the posted I need to try them out but I don’t even know how to do that. I’m just to busy atm but it’s starting to get annoying

I also changed to an ebay set, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201476232718?ViewItem=&item=201476232718

These have been in about 3 months with no errors, excellent fit, very bright and I did not have to change any of the coding. That said, probably tempting fate now and they will throw an error!!
Mine have 6 leds ... in each. Those with many leds work because they create more load across the circuit but I think are too bright. Mine with 6 are still brighter than I’d like - i popped some laminx over them.

I’ve still got the warning light on too as I’ve kept the a5 LEDs in. I don’t know anyone with VCDS to try that for me. I have bought some resistors which where linked on one of the posted I need to try them out but I don’t even know how to do that. I’m just to busy atm but it’s starting to get annoying
I promise its nice and easy to fit if you are local to Milton Keynes I can do it for you.

@downtothebone what Year is your S3 might be worth having a stab and get them for mine even though I’ll be on my 3rd set and it’s srarting to get expensive.

Cheers @Dave-v-v but I’m Manchester so abit to far. Thanks tho

@downtothebone what Year is your S3 might be worth having a stab and get them for mine even though I’ll be on my 3rd set and it’s srarting to get expensive.

it's easy to do if you get the part I told you to get one ent to + and one end to - place the gold resistor somewhere out the way as it gets hot. job done.

Early 2011 A3 Cab - the ones I linked to are out of stock. I too also tried the OEM A5 versions with no luck.

My current ones work fine so will stick with them for now.

The ones in the link say 2004-2009 S3
2011 A3 Cab so they won’t work with mine unfortunatly

Gonna be selling the brand new A5 LED number plate bulbs (only 2 weeks old) as well as the Kufatec cable (week old). I’ve given up with it. Putting in a set £13 from ebay that are currently on my other car A3 Black Edition 59 plate. No errors with those. Seems a bit of a lottery with the Audi units.

• I have some from a guy on here called trups who supplies led bulbs for everything. Mine is a 2009 model so needs a resistor which trups supplied along with the bulbs and everything worked perfectly fine with no errors. I believe those leds were 4000 watt. Those leds were then replaced by trups with some slightly brighter ones which I believe are 6000 watt leds and now I have the error on the dash. So basically you probably need a resistor and then it’s down to the leds of which the 4000 watt leds don’t give an error.

• I have some from a guy on here called trups who supplies led bulbs for everything. Mine is a 2009 model so needs a resistor which trups supplied along with the bulbs and everything worked perfectly fine with no errors. I believe those leds were 4000 watt. Those leds were then replaced by trups with some slightly brighter ones which I believe are 6000 watt leds and now I have the error on the dash. So basically you probably need a resistor and then it’s down to the leds of which the 4000 watt leds don’t give an error.
Did Trups not av any advice on how to stop error just as you know 99.9% off his work all the time , any coding needing done to tell the car there led

You need to check your BCM module version to know if leds will work - again this has been done to death in previous threads.

Seems to be the later 2010-2012 cars which seem to be the problem
Must be later 2010 just i have 59 plate but 2010 model with Led's ( i think and no errors and i'm sure i have ) trups loom in

Did Trups not av any advice on how to stop error just as you know 99.9% off his work all the time , any coding needing done to tell the car there led

It’s because of the new bulbs he sent me which are brighter. I don’t like them as they are too bright IMO and trups said that himself and then they also put the error on my dash.
He is sending me some of the ones I had before when he gets them back in stock which are more of an oem brightness and then the error will disappear off the dash.

No coding needs to be done for leds, that’s why the resistors are used( trups’ loom), because the resistor fools the car into thinking that the normal halogen bulbs are still present. Trups said that although the newer bulbs work that he sent me, they are putting an error on my dash because the wattage is so high the resistance is too much so the car thinks the lights are out.