What parts best to replace when fitting new turbo

s3evil34

Reaction score
Hi so had my hybrid turbo for a while just sat in the garage now. Been slowly collecting parts to do the job. But now I'm weeks away from fitting. So just checking what else turbo wise to replace when I fit the hybrid. Turbo to manifold and turbo to downpipe gaskets. Is there anymore? And should I replace any vac lines or oil lines ? Just want to make sure. Before I start.

O the legendary bam forged engine ha lol. I've heard on a post that it might be easier to remove head to get more room so in that case there would be a head gasket and a rocker cover gasket aswell. I think if your lines fit and are in a good condition then just reuse them.

You definitely need to replace the 4 coolant and 2 oil banjo bolt crush washers and oil return gasket.

I think the turbo reseller's advice is usually to replace the oil feed pipe too. If removing the turbo from under the manifold, you will find it easier to include some of the pipes at the same time as you won't reach the bango bolt heads.

Also the oil pickup pipe and for some reason oil pump is sometimes recommended, I included a new after run coolant pump but only because my one was not working.

I replaced the oil pump not long ago so that's one thing done . Ah yes the washers for the banjos forgot about thoes . Oil return pipe sounds a good idea. I will be going from under the car to do the turbo so will be tight . I'm guessing best place to buy the gaskets washers etc audi main dealer?

You normally get new gaskets with the turbo and some first fire oil.

It's a beach buggy hybrid used. Bought off a forum member. So I have to buy all gaskets etc. Tps cheers will check them out .

I just got a multi pack of crush washers for a few quid.

If it's a bbt k418 turbo you might find the hotside of the turbo that mates to the manifold collector has been ported out so a standard gasket won't match to it

If it's a bbt k418 turbo you might find the hotside of the turbo that mates to the manifold collector has been ported out so a standard gasket won't match to it
This is true the hotside has been ported so what gasket should I go for? Or do you trim the standard one.

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to trim the gasket enough that it will be able to make a seal once you've opened it up to match the turbo.

I've the same turbo to install and from what others have said from 1st hand experience of these is to have the turbo and the manifold faces skimmed and run without a gasket using a ported chinafold manifold

If your gonna be using a standard k04 manifold you might be able to open it up to match the turbo but I wouldn't know for sure if this is a good idea as they tend to crack even when standard power plus I don't think you'll be getting the best from the turbo

I posted a madmax thread of how he ported a stock manifold to widen it all up. There's not really going to be much to trim of a gasket there's only about 1.5 mm to the bump.

OK well porting the manifold might be the way forward as I am keeping the standard k04 one. Might look into if anyone makes a gasket for this I. E beach buggy . Don't want to use paste lol

OK interesting I will measure it. I'm pretty sure it was mated to one of your manifolds. As Sam was selling one of your manifolds also as he broke the car For parts