engine revs without any input

pumpaction

Reaction score
hi to all,
i would appreciate any feedback on a glitch in my 2010 s3 sportback which occured yesterday.
waiting to pick up some passengers and engine idling normally...then revs increased to aprox 1500 for a few seconds and dropped back....afew seconds later same thing..increased and dropped back.
this continued until i picked up passengers and drove home,with no further incidences of this happening.
everything now seems normal.
it will be a week or so until i can get the car scanned so i was wondering if anybody has any ideas on the cause.
car mileage is 52k with stage 1 remap and dv+ fitted.no lights showing and seems healthy in all other respects,
any help or advice appreciated.

I would think you are sucking in air from somewhere which in turn is making car revs jump as this did happen to mine and my fix was check PCV + plus any hoses run from / too are tight as hose on pcv has a small O'ring which has to be seated correctly ( maybe eroded over time. Check Dip stick is seat correctly again check O'ring is there as Orange one degrades quickly ( replace with yellow or after market ) .

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
As above. PCV is prime suspect, but check everything else listed above and you should find the culprit.

thanks...dipstick has been replaced with the new(yellow)version.
will inspect the pcv and hoses as soon as it stops raining.

thanks...dipstick has been replaced with the new(yellow)version.
will inspect the pcv and hoses as soon as it stops raining.
What you a fair weather person please dontd tell me you play golf too :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Do you have the part number for the dipstick.

sorry,didnt retain part no....but it is the latest version and is definitly more yellow than the original...purchased from
tps if i remember.