2006 A3 Rear Lights !

Addyjj

Reaction score
Hi people,

This has been covered (I have looked honest), but just need some advice / help.

I have recently purchased a 2006 A3 S-Line (5 door 170 bhp) and wanted to slightly modernise the rear end with some sort of LED styled lights (perhaps the ones off the 2009 model if memory serves me right), whilst keeping the car authentic to its year.

I have read about the potential pitfalls in terms of error codes that can occur when changing lights etc.

I was wanting to know if and when I have purchased the lights, is there anyone that would be willing to fit them to include any possible wiring loom adaptions etc for a fee. I do not mind travelling if that helps even if its a long way.

From what I can see, the reversing lights have LED's in but the other bulbs are standard. The interior also a number of led bulbs in (if that makes any difference).

Cheers for any help in advance

3 door pre-facelift to facelift clusters require no coding and are plug and play provided they are right hand drive units.MY2011 seems to be the ones everyone goes for as they have a slight tint from factory

fitting led bulbs will cause error messages

Is there not a difference between the 3dr and 5dr back lights as I thought the 8p SB had split lights and the big rear light is different

Is there not a difference between the 3dr and 5dr back lights as I thought the 8p SB had split lights and the big rear light is different

oops for some reason i thought this was a 3dr!

as above, totally different tail lights and require coding and wiring adaptions as you've found

Hi people,

I have recently purchased a 2006 A3 S-Line (5 door 170 bhp) and wanted to slightly modernise the rear end with some sort of LED styled lights (perhaps the ones off the 2009 model if memory serves me right), whilst keeping the car authentic to its year

From what I can see, the reversing lights have LED's in but the other bulbs are standard. The interior also a number of led bulbs in (if that makes any difference).

That’s not correct when discussing the Genuine /OEM Magneti Marelli units.
The only part that is ‘LED’ on the facelift Sportback rear lights is the lighting strip all around the edge of the light units that illuminates when the sidelights are on...
All other bulbs in the cluster (indicator, fog, reverse and brake ) are conventional bulbs.
Unless you wish to do your own modifications to the wiring (the connections are slightly different in the facelift lights) you are going to need to buy wiring adaptors and then get the lights coded to the car using VCDS.
I believe Kufatec also make wiring adaptors that have the coding somehow built-in ( so no need for VCDS) but have no experience of them!
It’s one of the best mods you can do to an older Sportback....

Hi people,

I have recently purchased a 2006 A3 S-Line (5 door 170 bhp) and wanted to slightly modernise the rear end with some sort of LED styled lights (perhaps the ones off the 2009 model if memory serves me right), whilst keeping the car authentic to its year.

I have read about the potential pitfalls in terms of error codes that can occur when changing lights etc.

I was wanting to know if and when I have purchased the lights, is there anyone that would be willing to fit them to include any possible wiring loom adaptions etc for a fee. I do not mind travelling if that helps even if its a long way.

Cheers for any help in advance
As @Ash187 is a bit far from you ( he's London) you could try @NHN as he is mobile and have a word with him about doing your lights and coding if needed as these boys are the retrofitted on here

Brilliant,

Thanks for the advice people :)

So if I understand correctly, I need to do the following;

1) Purchase lights, I was going to go for the Magneti Marelli from Euro Car Parts (link provided below) from a 2009 A3 Sport Back 2 litre Diesel (will also look and see if there are slightly cheaper places to source them from)

https://www.eurocarparts.com/rear-light

2) Purchase Kufatec wiring harnesses

3) Hope that everything works from the off

4) If any problems encountered then may need re-programming via VCDS

As a caveat - The existing reverse lights of the car are already LED (all other bulbs are stock), so presuming the previous owner may have already had some re-programming done. Would this cause any potential problems with fitting the new rear lights or not?

Once again, thanks for the advice, its really helpful.

Open up your big light which I am assuming is the ones your upgrading and see what the connection on the bulb holder is , count the pins as I am sure the old ones is only 6 and the newer ones could be more then you will see straight away when you go to collect your new ones if they will fit straight away or need adaptors. Call ECP asking if they have in stock and go check b4 you buy and if they are the same old plug go back online to ECP and look for discount code and use that to buy

Brilliant,

I have found a code for ECP, I can get the left and right outer lights for £136.07 or £217.95 to include both inner lights.

The other half is out in the car at the moment, so will check tomorrow morning and count the pins. If different once checked I will order the extra leads.

Out of interest would the lights come with the bulb circuit boards as well or are the old ones used? / is the LED part of the lights already built in?(apologises for the amateur questions),

Cheers

Sweet (posted before i saw the above)

I will contact him directly

Thanks for the link