Flexible vs fixed service

Cooper82

Reaction score
I have covered 4500 miles so far on my A5 TDI 2.0 and I am on a flexible service interval which means service is not due until I reach 19k miles. Since I do 14 k miles a year would anyone suggest swapping to fixed service interval?

You could just get an oil +filter change at 10k then wait until it reaches 19k and get the full service.
Even at a local garage could do it with an Audi Oil filter + the correct Castrol oil - then just run it to 19k to get it serviced officially by Audi.

Wife has a A1 since new and does 3.5 k miles a year so I bought a 5 year fixed plan at time of ordering / haggling which changes the oil yearly + Brake Fluid etc as per Audi's recommended schedule on time period.
Stop / starting / Low miles is the death of an engine so hence the Fixed Plan for her - Audi program the Flexible Plan into the cars information system and the Dealer changes that to fixed when it is requested.

Think at the time when ordering the car salesman said if more than 10k miles a year stay on flexible - under 10k go for fixed was the advice.

Our other car is an A6 Ultra Diesel 16 months old 8k miles - done mostly long motorway journeys ( use A1 for town ) so I asked Audi in the summer about a intermediate service and they said not required ( covered myself with warrantee ) - if I had done the same miles in town stop / start I would have changed the oil.

All depends on type of driving - the oil is Castrol Synthetic so designed to go to 19k miles as per Audi.

I costed a Fixed Plan with A6 and said no as I knew the type of driving - also it will get one service in April 19 next year then out of Audi Warrantee by June 2020 when a service comes around again - then off to local independent for 1/2 the cost.
Audi quoted £250 for a small oil change + service - I said I'd wait which they agree'd.

Reactions: Cooper82
I have Audi complete plan but on a flexible schedule. I have been given a quote on the next 4 services and undecided on whether to go for it on a fixed schedule or just stick with the flexible schedule. I do 14k miles twice a week motorway (65 miles per day) and twice a week city driving (25 miles per day through central London so 2 hours driving). I was thinking of doing the oil somewhere else but under a PCP agreement I believe I need to do all servicing at the dealership.

Seems quite expensive ( think that is the same 5 year one I bought but covers 4 services ) - A1 was £250 under bartering.

Depends if you will keep the car - after the 5 years - if not stick with the Flexible 19k miles as per Audi Schedule.

Other way is to get a quote for a 19k Service to compare total cost 14k x 4 = 56 k miles so a fixed would maybe run out after 3 years - quote is for 10k miles ?

Quote is for 10k miles or 1 year whichever comes first. Sorry if it is just a silly question but am I right to assume that the MMI system adjusts the oil consumption depending on my driving style? Whether I do a service every year or every 2 years the car will just adjust the frequency of oil change?

I'm guessing that you are using the term "consumption" to mean aging or remaining service life?

The MMI displays the time/miles left to service on a flexible service regime by logging how the car is used.

Thanks for the replies. After having a chat with a service advisor at my local dealership he suggested a 3 year service plan that includes 2 services. I was planning to go ahead with the quote above but got another one for around £600 for 2 services within the next 3 years which is when I am giving back the car.

Just out of curiosity....people in this thread have mentioned 5 and 3 year service plans that only include a maximum of 4 and 2 services respectively.
I cant get my head round that because the service plans I have had previously had the services equal to the number of years, or an unlimited amount of services within the time limit.
Also a plan that costs £600 and only includes 2 services is definitely not cheap. :anguished: Service plans are meant to save you money compared with paying individually.

Hi Ron,
The car is set at 19k per service or 2 years whichever happens first which is flexible schedule. The service plan includes 2 services which I assume are major services due to be done every 19k mileage. What is the price of a major service? I was told that I could always ask for a full refund if not utilised. Whenever I ask for prices (3 dealerships) I got an estimate and told me they can only release the specific price on the day.

They way I see it....covering 14k per year you definitely do not want to switch to a yearly fixed service schedule because the car will need more services during your time of ownership compared with the flexible schedule.
It will be right enough that dealers cannot quote you the exact cost of individual services 2 or more years down the line because there will undoubtedly be price rises, but they can quote you based on todays rates. This is one advantage of a service plan in that it protects you against future price rises, but it also needs to be cheaper than paying individually for those services based on todays rates.

What is the expected service cost for 2 major services?

Surely you can look up the Audi UK website for that info based on your car and your annual mileage?

Edit:- you must do that before being offered some suitable/unsuitable service plan.

Another Edit:- that was part of my homework when buying my wife a new Polo back in 2015, so I knew that the offered 3 years service plan based on 3 services, 2 minor and 1 inspection/major worked out okay for the intended use we had planned for that car.

Surely you can look up the Audi UK website for that info based on your car and your annual mileage?

Edit:- you must do that before being offered some suitable/unsuitable service plan.

Another Edit:- that was part of my homework when buying my wife a new Polo back in 2015, so I knew that the offered 3 years service plan based on 3 services, 2 minor and 1 inspection/major worked out okay for the intended use we had planned for that car.
Unless I am missing something very obvious I cannot find information on servicing costs from the audi website. Audi only offers prices for vehicles that are 3 years or older, mine is 6 months old.

Audi main dealer service prices like most others can vary quite significantly from place to place.
All you need to do is phone up a dealer and say I need a x000 mile service on my car how much will it be please?
Then you can work out whether a service plan is good value or not.

Audi main dealer service prices like most others can vary quite significantly from place to place.
All you need to do is phone up a dealer and say I need a x000 mile service on my car how much will it be please?
Then you can work out whether a service plan is good value or not.
Which is what I tried to do but before providing a price they request my registration number and then I have been told more than once that they cannot provide a price. It is an A5 TDI 2.0.

Don't give them it....just make up some excuse if you like. It is completely ridiculous that they cannot give you a price when requested.
I would be more than a little annoyed if I was told this and would insist on being given a price.
You are doing them a favour by giving them your business after all.

Don't give them it....just make up some excuse if you like. It is completely ridiculous that they cannot give you a price when requested.
I would be more than a little annoyed if I was told this and would insist on being given a price.
You are doing them a favour by giving them your business after all.
I understand but the registration number is the first thing they ask me to proceed. The only thing I managed to get from them is an approximate for a major service which was around £400 but cannot guarantee the price for my exact vehicle with the first saying it is too new to be generated and the 2nd one indicating that they can only provide the price on the day (Marshall audi and Driftbridge audi)

Unless I am missing something very obvious I cannot find information on servicing costs from the audi website. Audi only offers prices for vehicles that are 3 years or older, mine is 6 months old.

Come to think about it, maybe I've never looked at prices for new cars, so why are they missing?

I understand but the registration number is the first thing they ask me to proceed. The only thing I managed to get from them is an approximate for a major service which was around £400 but cannot guarantee the price for my exact vehicle with the first saying it is too new to be generated and the 2nd one indicating that they can only provide the price on the day (Marshall audi and Driftbridge audi)

There must be something really strange going on in Audi's world, you place a product in the market place and you can't quote potential service prices by using today's labour rates and parts prices, that is total nonsense!

Edit:- do you really think that fleet buyers could live with that? Audi and their dealers know exactly what service contents every car needs before it is placed on the market place, they know they must compete with similar cars in the market place, unless they are looking up their bottoms and consider that they have no equals in the market place, complete idiots in that dealership you are using, walk away now.

Edit:- take this up with Audi UK if nothing else you are making them aware that you are dealing with muppets, and I hope that muppetry has not extended to Audi UK, next take it up with a motoring magazine, they usually like a laugh at a car maker's expense, spill the beans!

Last edited: