Perceptions of ‘Audi drivers’

Jimbob76

Roof Rails Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I’m 6 months into owning my S3, loving the experience and proud to own my Audi. I don’t consider myself a ‘badge snob’, I just like decent motors and in the past have enjoyed owning and running quality variants from VW (Corrado), SEAT (special edition Leon), Honda’s and even an MG (don’t ask, not the greatest decision I ever made!). Under duress I’ve even looked after several tin-foil skinned Clio’s for the ‘other halves’ in my life! Apparently that used to be my ‘type’, lol. Good times, those Clio girls know how to have fun :thumbs up:

Now, since owning my S3, and when taking to people who are also ‘into their motors’ I’ve encountered some negative perceptions of Audi drivers, the general theme being Audi drivers are @holes, bad or inconsiderate drivers who don’t respect their fellow motorists. This used to be the same badge put on BMW drivers about 20 years ago.

I’ve had more negative comments on my choice of ‘brand’ in six months of owning my Audi than in the entire previous decade of being a SEAT pilot. Not that I give a hairy shat, I drive respectfully, let other drivers into the flow at junctions, don’t tail-gate, and always indicate, so from my point of view I don’t agree with the anti-Audi driver negative perception.

But I’m interested in your thoughts - is this a lazy and easy way of knocking Audi drivers, a weird kind of reverse-snobbery? I’m interested in your experiences of perceptions towards the Audi brand. Have you had any negative comments? If so how have you responded to them. Could be fun to share some witty retorts as well :whistle2:

Reactions: Jassyo06
I don't really get many comments. A few but I think they are more jokey. Today for example someone showed me an image about audi drivers not using indicators (I thought this was a bmw thing!) and Audi would be more "always driving up someone's ***..."

I still consider bmw drivers the ones who do the most stupid stuff.

On my way home from work an X5 charges into a bus lane and travels a hundred metres while traffic is sat queueing in the 2 lanes to his right. Then the bus lane stops so he has to wait and indicate for someone to let him back in.

Then 75% of the time I see someone driving on the motorway like a moron. Constantly changing lanes (excessively) and undertaking and just all over the place.. It will be a bmw.

Of course you get idiots in all cars. But bmw for me just seem to stand out.

Reactions: MaxBoostMRC, Lehn and Jimbob76
Interesting and my perception is this - generally most noticeable bad driving seems to occur in ‘premium’ German branded cars, andnin my opinion for what I see generally VAG branded cars - perfect example of this yesterday was a brand new A6 sat right up my back bumper in stationary traffic because he had entered a yellow box junction. Then as we get to the second set of lights he goes into the right hand lane which is right turn only. When the lights change floors it, narrowly missing the oncoming car and just swerves in front of the car in front of me forcing them to brake. It’s this type of I own the road driving you see more of in Audi’s - and no I don’t think it’s badge snobbery at all, we just got rid of an A3 Convertible and I would find people weren’t courteous to me when driving it at all - I would purposely drive courtesly in it as at times I actually felt a little awkward in it!!!! Can’t explain that one.

Also, I’m not overly keen on the reputation the brand is getting from undesirable and violent people driving around in rental VAG cars dealing, stealing or other things - seems the manufacture of choice these days..

Used to be BMW years ago but that changed!!

Big 4x4 drivers (Range Rover, Q7 etc) are the real Aholes.

Never drive in the correct lane. Speed when they feel like it and bully other road users.

Reactions: 4K
In all honesty I see discourteous, idiotic and plain dangerous driving every day and from drivers of every make of car. I don’t think it’s possible or accurate to single out a particular marque. I am having a front/rear dash cams installed on Monday because I know it’s only a matter of time until one of those irresponsible idiots takes me out. I’m aware that there is some anti-Audi sentiment but I do my best to be courteous towards other road users which does seem to surprise some other drivers!

It's called jealousy mate :)

Funny you post this though, I saw this driver today and I thought "And they say Audi drivers are bad" :D:

Reactions: Jimbob76
Its all b0ll0x. This carry on that people are defined by their choice of car/jewellery/fashion brand/team they support... Ar2eholes are ar2eholes no matter what they buy. Your own interpretation of how others perceive you whilst driving your Audi/BMW/Merc/Lada is all down to your internal reasoning rather than other drivers giving a toss what you drive. As for criticism from other "petrolheads". 1 being a petrolhead doesn't make you inherently intelligent or tolerant and 2 the opinions of your audience will be coloured by what their tastes. Renault/Peugeot/Ford drivers may be prejudiced against German/Prestige brands and vice versa because the customer base is very different etc.

There's only six posts on this thread and already its BMW drivers, oh no wait its 4x4 drivers.... I've owned Audi's and I've owned BMWs and sometimes I drive my wife's 4x4. I drive the same way with the same attitude in all of them.

A Merc driver cut me up a few days ago whilst in my wife's car so immediately all Merc drivers are *******... ?

@Evil Derboy ,I get what you're saying but from my experience at least as I said, 75% of the time someone is driving like a hoon on the motorway it's a bmw.
I'm not judging all bmw drivers, but from the driving I do, that's what I see. Nothing wrong wkth that.

If I was saying all Mercedes drivers are <beep>, that's a different story. But I'm not. You get idiots in every make of vechile. .. Including this idiot in a Vauxhall on a motorway who wanted me to change lanes, so he turned on 2 blue alternating lights in his grill....

Screenshot 20181027 062625

Personally though I'm not really bothered about any perception people have on the car I drive.

Reactions: Kayobong
The lack indication is just poor drivers, not the marque of car they drive. I drive hgv's and when you get to a roundabout and drop down through the box and stop just for the car to come off the exit before yours with no indication is in double figures every day. Also I'd rather have a bmw/Audi pass me on the motorway at 90 then me have to pass doris in her 20 year old Saxo doing 55. I think I some people see confident drivers as dangerous whereas it's the slow indecisive ones you need to watch. That said, if your confidence outweighs your talent then we're all in trouble.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, Ozmosis, Jimbob76 and 2 others
So, I’m 6 months into owning my S3, loving the experience and proud to own my Audi. I don’t consider myself a ‘badge snob’, I just like decent motors and in the past have enjoyed owning and running quality variants from VW (Corrado), SEAT (special edition Leon), Honda’s and even an MG (don’t ask, not the greatest decision I ever made!). Under duress I’ve even looked after several tin-foil skinned Clio’s for the ‘other halves’ in my life! Apparently that used to be my ‘type’, lol. Good times, those Clio girls know how to have fun :thumbs up:

Now, since owning my S3, and when taking to people who are also ‘into their motors’ I’ve encountered some negative perceptions of Audi drivers, the general theme being Audi drivers are @holes, bad or inconsiderate drivers who don’t respect their fellow motorists. This used to be the same badge put on BMW drivers about 20 years ago.

I’ve had more negative comments on my choice of ‘brand’ in six months of owning my Audi than in the entire previous decade of being a SEAT pilot. Not that I give a hairy shat, I drive respectfully, let other drivers into the flow at junctions, don’t tail-gate, and always indicate, so from my point of view I don’t agree with the anti-Audi driver negative perception.

But I’m interested in your thoughts - is this a lazy and easy way of knocking Audi drivers, a weird kind of reverse-snobbery? I’m interested in your experiences of perceptions towards the Audi brand. Have you had any negative comments? If so how have you responded to them. Could be fun to share some witty retorts as well :whistle2:

Clarkson started off on the BMW driver thing years ago. He then changed it to Audi drivers some years back. People just repeat what others say.

But in the age where anyone can get behind the wheel of a BWM, or Audi, that before would normally only be behind the wheel of a Ford or VauxPoo, then you're always going to get a bad set of drivers making all others in the same car look bad.

Same thing happened to Subaru and Mitsubishi. Where once the Impreza and Evo were bought by people who could afford to buy and look after their cars, once the values and cost of insurance fell, then the less desirable drivers could buy one, and then tarnishes the brands with stupid inconsiderate driving.

Just the same for dogs. You only here bad stories about Staffies. Tarnishes the whole breed.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Jimbob76
Wholeheartedly, take a long look at Nissan QuashQui drivers. I sense huge inferiority complex. They are pretty reckless and display all manner of bad driving etiquette. I honestly don't know why. But it's true. Here in Yorkshire anyway.

BMW drivers still don't indicate haha. Perhaps it's an underlying electrical issue? You get the odd Audi still doing the tailgate 'move over now' move. Then I just dump the V8 noise in their face and leave them. Reverting back to my steady 65mph motorway cruise. Haha. You learn to relax (save money) more with this engine on the motorway. But yeah, the OP is right. Definitely a vibe going round that Audi drivers have replaced BMW ones as terrible, inconsiderate motorists. I don't see it myself. Don't know where it's came from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dave1961, Kayobong and 4K
The lack indication is just poor drivers, not the marque of car they drive. I drive hgv's and when you get to a roundabout and drop down through the box and stop just for the car to come off the exit before yours with no indication is in double figures every day. Also I'd rather have a bmw/Audi pass me on the motorway at 90 then me have to pass doris in her 20 year old Saxo doing 55. I think I some people see confident drivers as dangerous whereas it's the slow indecisive ones you need to watch. That said, if your confidence outweighs your talent then we're all in trouble.

Agreed. Wasn't until I got my C+E that I understood how much you guys control the flow. I see people drop back into your lane constantly at barely a cars length distance and not indicating. And in a 50 average area, your speed is like clockwork haha. People scrambling to get past but if they just stick their cruise control on behind you, they'd be chilled out and have great momentum.

Reactions: Starry
BMW drivers still don't indicate haha. Perhaps it's an underlying electrical issue?
Only driven one BMW which was the i3, but I didn't like the indicators. On the Audi if you want to leave the indicators on (not just the 3 strobes), you push it up/down and it like locks into place and goes back to the normal state after you've turned.... on the BMW it didn't lock into place and just went back to normal .. so half the time i was unsure if they were on or not!

I blame bad design :)

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Only driven one BMW which was the i3, but I didn't like the indicators. On the Audi if you want to leave the indicators on (not just the 3 strobes), you push it up/down and it like locks into place and goes back to the normal state after you've turned.... on the BMW it didn't lock into place and just went back to normal .. so half the time i was unsure if they were on or not!

I blame bad design :)

It actually doesn't lock into place? I thought this was absolutely universal across all manufacturers. I know self cancelling isn't on all cars. But still. Wow.

Clarkson started off on the BMW driver thing years ago. He then changed it to Audi drivers some years back. People just repeat what others say.
If you are on a BMW forum they say it is the Audi drivers tailgating you. On an Audi forum they always say its BMW drivers not indicating.

If these sort of things bother you, then sell the car, and catch the ****** bus or train.

Reactions: TonyH38 and AllanG
Big 4x4 drivers (Range Rover, Q7 etc) are the real Aholes.

Never drive in the correct lane. Speed when they feel like it and bully other road users.
Yep. Also Volvo drivers these days I find are highly aggressive. Mercedes tops the list of **** head ******* tw@s though.

Reactions: KenL
No, probably missed out white van drivers, Nissan Gashqai, and Wannabe SUV drivers. My bad.

Reactions: Peter123 and Thundercliffe81
@Evil Derboy ,I get what you're saying but from my experience at least as I said, 75% of the time someone is driving like a hoon on the motorway it's a bmw.
I'm not judging all bmw drivers, but from the driving I do, that's what I see. Nothing wrong wkth that.

If I was saying all Mercedes drivers are <beep>, that's a different story. But I'm not. You get idiots in every make of vechile. .. Including this idiot in a Vauxhall on a motorway who wanted me to change lanes, so he turned on 2 blue alternating lights in his grill....

View attachment 168588

Personally though I'm not really bothered about any perception people have on the car I drive.
Send the photo to the police, impersonating a police officer is a very serious criminal offence.

Reactions: KenL, Thundercliffe81 and Phutters
I drive both an Audi and a Mercedes, the Mercedes forums generally think Audi and BMW drivers are bad but Audi forums think the same about Mercedes and BMW drivers so it's all rubbish. The worst drivers are in VW's :smiley simmons:

View attachment 168588

That is insane, impersonating a police car just to get somewhere a little faster, boggles the mind. In my experience BMW drivers are the worst, especially those in an X model, however that's just my personal experience, I know a lot of people bash Audi drivers for slowly taking over the role of a BMW driver on the road and to be honest I've seen some lunatics in older model Audi's but again, just personal experience.

Send the photo to the police, impersonating a police officer is a very serious criminal offence.
We rang 999, an hour or so later we had to divert off the motorway due to closuers (there was tonnes of traffic naturally), at one of the junctions by a roundabout we saw the car surrounded by like 4/5 police including under covers...

I was laughing my head off...

It was Stafford police, they were all over him ;)

Reactions: KenL, Jimbob76, Thundercliffe81 and 1 other person
We rang 999, an hour or so later we had to divert off the motorway due to closuers (there was tonnes of traffic naturally), at one of the junctions by a roundabout we saw the car surrounded by like 4/5 police including under covers...

:thumbs up:

The subject of this thread is the reason why when joining this site 4 months ago I wanted to let others know I am "Breaking the stereotype" :innocent:

Reactions: Jimbob76 and Thundercliffe81
Reactions: oli356
The subject of this thread is the reason why when joining this site 4 months ago I wanted to let others know I am "Breaking the stereotype" :innocent:
What do people say about Honda drivers...?
Apart from Type R drivers must be young boy racer chavs ;)

Reactions: Ron240

Like white on rice. Love it...

Reactions: oli356
Wholeheartedly, take a long look at Nissan QuashQui drivers. I sense huge inferiority complex. They are pretty reckless and display all manner of bad driving etiquette.

More total b0ll0x. My wife used to have a Qashqai. I didn't have an inferiority complex when I drove it instead of my Maserati....

More total b0ll0x. My wife used to have a Qashqai. I didn't have an inferiority complex when I drove it instead of my Maserati....

Haha. Just my observations. Which is what all of this is. They're all swooping generalisations. Chill.

Reactions: 4K
That ‘perception’ is an absolute crock of sh!t. I see arrogant, selfish and crap drivers driving all kinds of cars from Fords to BMW’s to Smart Cars.

Some of the worst drivers I see are usually in chavved up Corsa’s or Fiesta’s but that doesn’t mean sh!t, there are idiot drivers regardless of the car they drive.

In fact, I’d bet my house that public perception would rate drivers of those horrendous Range Rovers as the worst. In fact, I’d bet my house and my missus.

I couldn’t give a monkeys @rse what people think of me when I’m in my Audi, so all is good:thumbs up:

Reactions: Evil Derboy and 4K
What do people say about Honda drivers...?
Apart from Type R drivers must be young boy racer chavs ;)
You have been paying attention....im impressed. :)
Answering seriously....Honda drivers are generally classed as older people, except the Type R as you say. Only thing is young boy racers can't usually afford the one I had. :relaxed:
I had 2 Focus ST's before that....so what do they say about Ford drivers? :D
I think the one thing that never changes is the dickhead behind the wheel regardless of which car they happen to be driving. :racer:

Reactions: TonyH38 and oli356
Generally speaking; age, sex, driving skill and attitude has a lot to do with how we rate drivers. There are considerate drivers of all ages and inconsiderate of all ages. What gets my goat is driving skill regardless of the make of vehicle and type. You know the drivers, tailgaters, excess speed for the conditions, cut off artists, no signals, texting, etc.
Frankly, young inexperienced male drivers tend to crowd that list in any type/make of vehicle, just a generalisation as some older drivers are a liability also with their age diminishing skills.

Reactions: cuke2u and Carefree69
young inexperienced male drivers tend to crowd that list in any type/make
Just to add my observation on this in regards to speeding particularly in urban areas.... yes young males tend to be the most prolific but they are aware they are doing it and don't care, but young females are also guilty of it without realising they are doing anything wrong. :worried:

I can see what you're saying. I haven't really had many comments really apart for "AHH an Audi driver".

The biggest thing I get is in petrol forecourts, people asking if the S3 is mine or my dad's car that I'm allowed to drive. Most are in shock when I say it's mine, probably assumed I've stolen it I guess. Being 20 years old is the "issue" I suppose.

End of the day, I've seen (and my dad who's a driving instructor) has seen plenty of dangerous driving from all drivers, regardless of badge. It's down to the person, not the car.

Like yourself whenever I can, I'll let people in, flash people who are indicating to turn etc. Just courteous.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kayobong
Just to add my observation on this in regards to speeding particularly in urban areas.... yes young males tend to be the most prolific but they are aware they are doing it and don't care, but young females are also guilty of it without realising they are doing anything wrong. :worried:
They are, I like to think I'm the opposite. Not had any tickets, speeding etc. Been pulled over by the police once, but was only because a car matching my description (S3) was spotted earlier and failed to stop. That was an experience.
End of the day, dangerous driving not only endangers yourself but everyone else. Speeding / cutting people up to get somewhere a minute earlier really isn't worth it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

As a young driver I make an effort to be as courteous as possible on the road, however I don't personally think being young makes you a more dangerous driver, anyone can be really, regardless of age.