Need help: Dashboard flickering + struggling to start

ENZO

Reaction score
Hi,
Last week I required a jump start to get the car going and since it has been fine.

But just now the symbol with exclamation mark has appeared on dashboard and the dash lights are flickering.

Am I due a new battery? Or could this be another problem.

If battery, where can I get one tomorrow around South Yorkshire or as soon as possible

For a 2.0 TFSI quattro 8P

Thanks

When I say flickering back better way to describe it is pulsating dim

Today when I first started the engine, battery light stayed on dashboard for about 10 seconds

it sounds like your battery is about dead, i would first go get a battery health test (halfords do this for free according to their website) and if the result turn out to be a poor battery. replace it and your problem should be solved

Reactions: ENZO
it sounds like your battery is about dead, i would first go get a battery health test (halfords do this for free according to their website) and if the result turn out to be a poor battery. replace it and your problem should be solved

Thanks,
Anywhere I can buy batteries for this car without having to order?

Currently have a Varta E44 silver 77W

if you don't care about getting the best price, again you can try halfords but ECP (euro car parts) and GSF have local same day click and collect and same day delivery and can be a lot cheaper than halfords for decent batteries

Eurocarparts show as expensive for the batteries it displays for my car but would be ideal as I like close to one.

Cheapest: £85.99
Lion Battery 60aH

use the discount code halloween80 it should lower the price to £47.29

All these lights stay on dash (with engine running)

VP7xcGs.jpg

Edit: battery light goes off after a couple minute's

Orange/yellow is your engine mangement light. Needs a diagnostic scan to see what fault code/s it brings up.
DIS(bit above the outside temp) image is a blown bulb. It should tell you which one when you turn the car on.
Red little person with seatbelt on is just seatbelt warning.
Red circle with exclamation mark is handbrake on warning.

You might have a Parasitic drain in your battery so worth a check off this especially if it doesn't want to start in the morning .
If your going to get a Vcds scan done get them to live data your battery when non engine started , take note off voltage , then start car again check battery to see if underload if voltage has changed .

Hi,
I had my existing battery checked and was told it's ready for changing.

So I've got a new one installed.

Engine Management Light has now gone from dash and car seems to start fine.

However when car is started, the battery symbol stays on dashboard for around a minute.

Isn't a good sign is it? Never used to do this
Maybe an alternator or electrical issue?

Bump
No problems starting the engine but sometimes the battery light stays on a while.

Today it stayed on for my full 20 minute drive

There must be a charging/drain fault then, if I remember correctly the battery voltage is around 13v when driving and above 12.5v when off , So when the engine is both running and not running, hook up a multimeter (be carful not to shock yourself) and see what the voltage is.

This is what I would do, but other members may have better suggestions of what to do

Or like ch1z64 said if you have vcds you can check the battery voltage like that, which is the easier way of doing it.

Today whilst driving my heating stopped working, then every warning light came on dashboard, power steering went then dead.

Failed to start.

Guessing it's my alternator?

Would jump leads be no good to get home?

Yep, Alternator would be my guess. Had the same thing happen on my GF's car one day, left me stranded and jump leads won't help.
Get recovered and see if a local GSF/ECP have an alternator in stock and check for discount codes. They usually buy your old one back off you to refurbish or break for parts, so you will save a few extra pounds that way.