Broke my personal mpg record

Philip Davies

Space Cowboy 101
Reaction score
039b5795dcfd6b3bdbf2b048cd1b1be5.jpg
77 miles from Surrey to Stansted airport, medium busy so cruising at around 60 most of the way round M25, 1.4T COD, pretty good for a petrol engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbob76, RK10, Invicta and 2 others
What type of socks do you wear?
I assume you're trying to be sarcastic? If not, apologies. If so, f**k off.

But I would point out that a S3 would hardly have gone any faster. Do you drive the M25? Most of the route I was driving in the 4th lane and couldn't go any faster than the car in front.

What's really boring is someone who writes "boring" a lot. Grow up! If you study really hard instead of trolling you might end up with a 3 digit IQ

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 20.00.44.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 20.00.44.png
    132 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: firebits, Wibbly and Audi Bairn
What’s an IQ ? Oh yes it’s what you have when you study your mpg rather than anything else and then go on an open forum to let everybody know?

Reactions: mark351 and Jassyo06
Bet there's no chance of you getting done for speeding......lol Yer thread reminds of a old Eagles song..."Life in THE Fast Lane"..............lol

Reactions: Philip Davies
By total do you mean since new? In that case it's 45 (measured not from the OBC)
Yup meant new, or at least since the computer was reset.

Personally I care about mpg... its money after all!
Hence my sad spreadsheet for longer journeys lol
Upload 2018 10 5 20 31 5

To be added to tomorrow after my 240 mile round trip again :p

Last edited:
Reactions: kalniel, RK10, voorhees and 3 others
What’s an IQ ? Oh yes it’s what you have when you study your mpg rather than anything else and then go on an open forum to let everybody know?
So what's interesting? My car can go to 113.2 mph in 4.126 seconds whereas yours takes 4.127 seconds ?? Oh wow, that's really interesting.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Peter123

View attachment 167099

Not something to advertise mate...lol

Reactions: mark351 and Jimbob76

View attachment 167099

I don't know from OBC as I reset it each fill, but its 45 from brim-to-brim calculation

I assume you're trying to be sarcastic? If not, apologies. If so, f**k off.

But I would point out that a S3 would hardly have gone any faster. Do you drive the M25? Most of the route I was driving in the 4th lane and couldn't go any faster than the car in front.
Not being sarcastic at all. Trying to be light-hearted.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Please try to get along in here. Life is to short,

Reactions: mark351, Audi Bairn, Jimbob76 and 5 others
It's easy not to care about mpg when work pay for your fuel #winning

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Philip Davies
039b5795dcfd6b3bdbf2b048cd1b1be5.jpg
77 miles from Surrey to Stansted airport, medium busy so cruising at around 60 most of the way round M25, 1.4T COD, pretty good for a petrol engine

Nice one mate.

Ignore the idiots on here, there seems to be a select few who like to think of themselves as the next big comedian and mock and take the p!ss out of certain posts. I know, boring and embarrassing.

Nice mpg that, more like a diesel than a petrol:racer:

Reactions: Paul finch, A4A4, oli356 and 2 others
Nice one mate.

Ignore the idiots on here, there seems to be a select few who like to think of themselves as the next big comedian and mock and take the p!ss out of certain posts. I know, boring and embarrassing.

Nice mpg that, more like a diesel than a petrol:racer:

I guess you’re right, I just find it a shame that some folk feel the need to do it, if I read something I’m not interested in I just ignore it and move on

Reactions: Audi Bairn and TYb
jesus.. what is with all the hate all of a sudden?.. Nothing sad about seeing how efficient you can push your car, especially when it's saving you your precious money at the end of the day. It actually becomes incredibly addicting trying to eek out every 0.1 of an mpg out of your journey.
Anyway, thanks for sharing this and thanks @oli356 for sharing that spreadsheet.
64.5mpg from a petrol? That's incredible! How did you manage that? I usually get mid 70's going to and from an airport up here in the North, with my highest mpg I've finished with being 88.
Great going from spending £100 a week (this is before the fuel prices jumped up to 1.30+) to £20 all because of the wonderful power of diesel :)

Reactions: Wibbly, Audi Bairn, RK10 and 5 others
Kudos for getting 64.5mpg out of a petrol engine, I was just going to post a personal best at the opposite end of the spectrum after a track day (i should have taken a picture ) - 7.4mpg and that included driving on the expressway to and from the track (about 80kms) :smiley:

Reactions: James__S3 and Philip Davies
Kudos for getting 64.5mpg out of a petrol engine, I was just going to post a personal best at the opposite end of the spectrum after a track day (i should have taken a picture ) - 7.4mpg and that included driving on the expressway to and from the track (about 80kms) :smiley:
7.4?! How is that even possible

An Evo on track at Donny Park was reprimanded for stopping and speaking to his mates….he told the marshalls he had to tell them he was doing 3-4 mpg

Reactions: James__S3
I think the term for it is WOT :) its a track day at the Eastern Creek Raceway in Sydney, below is the configuration, The track does also have a few sharp rises in it, which helps increase the fuel consumption. We do maybe 25 - 30 laps + plus the drive there and back = a full tank.

The original 3.93 kilometre Grand Prix circuit was completed in 1990, complying with FIA category two standards and hosting a number of major international races, including the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix, V8 Supercars Championship and the A1GP.

The circuit was renamed the Gardner GP Circuit on October 21, 2013. Wayne Gardner was World Motorcycle Champion in 1987 and won 18 grands prix during his nine years in GP 500 racing. His success was instrumental in the NSW government building our circuit as a home for the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix.

The track surface is hot mix bitumen, 15m wide on the main straight, and narrows to 12m as it flows through the landscaped hills.

A favourite amongst riders and drivers alike, the Gardner GP circuit offers a variety of challenging bends, curves, turns and straights.

Offering plenty of cornering, braking and passing opportunities, it rewards the committed. Turn one is the fastest on the circuit, and arguably in Australia, with nerves of steel required to tip it in at 200km/h.

GPThumb.png

Reactions: oli356 and voorhees
@mfl Cool stuff. I was doing some work towards the end of last year in Eastern Creek though never looked into what the track was used for.

Not much around that area though! Was going a bit insane by myself in a hotel in Liverpool. Was a relief when I finished my work there so moved hotel and stayed in Circular Quay for a few days before flying back home...

Love the police cars out in Aus haha.

Reactions: Sandra
@mfl Cool stuff. I was doing some work towards the end of last year in Eastern Creek though never looked into what the track was used for.

Not much around that area though! Was going a bit insane by myself in a hotel in Liverpool. Was a relief when I finished my work there so moved hotel and stayed in Circular Quay for a few days before flying back home...

Love the police cars out in Aus haha.

If your employer made you stay in a hotel in Liverpool, sorry :chuncky: - glad you got to stay at Circular Quay for a few days, a slight change of scenery !.

If you mean our V8 patrol cars, as we no longer make Aussie cars, they are being replaced by BMW 530D and Chrysler 300s - as for the people in them, they ain't friendly British bobbies.

e9a506e981243ea38b50534a74d18e42

Reactions: Jimbob76 and Sandra
If your employer made you stay in a hotel in Liverpool, sorry :chuncky: - glad you got to stay at Circular Quay for a few days, a slight change of scenery !.

If you mean our V8 patrol cars, as we no longer make Aussie cars, they are being replaced by BMW 530D and Chrysler 300s - as for the people in them, they ain't friendly British bobbies.
Haha yeah, well I picked the hotel but there wasn't much choice when needing to get an Uber to Eastern Creek, without a long commute!

And ah, I now remember my Aussie mate at work saying they aren't making the Holdens anymore or something like that.. They look bad *** haha. A bmw and chrysler not quite the same...

Anyway. Taking this off topic :p

Reactions: Sandra
I’ll just leave this here

593 miles out of a 40liter tank =)

Not bad for 200hp instant torque and a 6sec 0-60 =)
Upload 2018 10 7 12 47 53

Reactions: mark351, Jimbob76, Invicta and 2 others
How on earth are you getting these MPG's? I've got a newish 1.6 TDI... long-term memory is showing as approx 50mpg average!

I have an e-tron =) Compared to some who do more just on battery it’s actually quite rubbish !

How on earth are you getting these MPG's? I've got a newish 1.6 TDI... long-term memory is showing as approx 50mpg average!
Massively dependant on type of roads you drive - I can get 50+ driving west but 30'ish when driving east to central London

Pretty mixed actually live about 40 miles out of town blast down the A1 . Seems to want to do 60mpg most of the time no mater what you do is an interesting car . The economy in town is better as you are using the electric

Don't plant your foot! Drive efficiently and you'll get efficient results. Whenever I plant my foot, I pretty much always get 50 mpg no matter what

Perhaps you occasionally enjoy driving your car? The A6 3.0TDI loaner I've had for the last couple of weeks has displayed anything from 30 to 48mpg on my 8 mile commute to work. Put your food down and it absolutely gobbles the juice. The average mpg just falls away.

Lol, genuinely interesting thread to see how far the mpg can be pushed, but does make me realise I’m playing in a very different field of dreams. Here are my long term stats (hasn’t been reset from new, so this is the average in an S3, over 6.5k miles, with the usual mix of urban and open road). I’m quite happy with this and I’m no goon when driving (well, usually - but if the right time and place presents itself, then hey :blush:). I prefer to measure my fuel consumption in smiles per gallon, but then I do c.50% less then ‘average’ mileage, so fuel costs aren’t really on my radar. Begs the question, what are the highest and lowest mpg long term stats for S3’s out there?...

And average speed = 25 mph, *** :blink: Should have bought a SMART car, lol. Who has the highest/lowest average long term average speed then, eh?...

Oh, and let’s be nice to each other on here please - we’re all like-minded folks wanting to share our experiences, and I for one enjoy the diversity of opinion. I might give (and receive) the odd light hearted jab here and there but all experiences welcome in my book :thumbs up:

632CC059 2E29 48FF B9AF 664205AA25A4

Reactions: TonkS3, mfl, Timi8888 and 1 other person
Lol, genuinely interesting thread to see how far the mpg can be pushed, but does make me realise I’m playing in a very different field of dreams. Here are my long term stats (hasn’t been reset from new, so this is the average in an S3, over 6.5k miles, with the usual mix of urban and open road). I’m quite happy with this and I’m no goon when driving (well, usually - but if the right time and place presents itself, then hey :blush:). I prefer to measure my fuel consumption in smiles per gallon, but then I do c.50% less then ‘average’ mileage, so fuel costs aren’t really on my radar. Begs the question, what are the highest and lowest mpg long term stats for S3’s out there?...

And average speed = 25 mph, *** :blink: Should have bought a SMART car, lol. Who has the highest/lowest average long term average speed then, eh?...

Oh, and let’s be nice to each other on here please - we’re all like-minded folks wanting to share our experiences, and I for one enjoy the diversity of opinion. I might give (and receive) the odd light hearted jab here and there but all experiences welcome in my book :thumbs up:

View attachment 167436
Best for my S3? 42 mpg from Cambridge to St Helens. Average with work which is majority motorway/dual carriageway and a few points to have some fun. Usually around 35mpg. Although current commute into Cambridge. 22 miles from Huntingdon to Cambridge...takes 1hr 45 mins!!!! Averaging about 22-25mpg as all standstill traffic.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk