Unstable rear end S3/8v saloon

Northern_Monkey

2016 S3 Saloon
Reaction score
hi all, maybe a bit paranoid but I wanted your thoughts on the following:

Lately I’ve found that the rear end of the car feels a bit loose or ‘un-damped’. This is especially obvious when riding over even slightly uneven manhole covers etc. This mainly affects the left rear wheel and the rear of the car pulls/jinks to the left when this happens.

Audi claim shocks are ok and it’s just sports suspension but I have my doubts. At speed this issue is really unnerving. I appreciate the suspension is supposed to be firm but this issue has only been apparent for the last couple of months. I’ve requested a test-drive with a tech but would appreciate any advice beforehand.

Tracking checked ok and plenty of tread on rear tyres.

Any thoughts?

Audi S3 8V PFL 2016

When I purchased my A3, I have a normal commute that my old car would never have issues and always felt stable. There was a little lip where a bridge and the road meet. The old car would go over with no problems. Go over the same place with the A3 at 70mph and the whole rear end jumped and went sideways, scaring the daylights out of me. Going around corners, tire squeal at speeds I would think it shouldn't.

I then changed the suspension to Bilstein coilovers and it's now incredibly confident. Car now goes over that spot without a fuss.

I think the rear springs are just too stiff. This makes the car bouncier, especially if there is not extra weight. Only fix is to improve the suspension which is a little ridiculous. I also had non-sport struts and springs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mine skips at the rear. Not too bothered gives it a little bit more excitement :racer:

Reactions: Goner
Same side-step happens on non-sport suspension too. It's a flaw in the suspension geometry but pays off elsewhere.

Mine always feels sligtly less planted when just me in the car and fuel tank shows less than 90ish miles to empty.

Was also same on my PFL S3 SB.....

Never worried about it as you will never even with fairly spiitred driving be near the edge of anything nasty and you always have the bells and whistles to kick in unless you have turned them all off