A3 Sportback(Sport) 1.0TSi Tronic - short review at 18 months

Dave Cornwell

Reaction score
So I've been driving my first Audi for 12,000 miles now, coming from the not vastly different 1.2TSi DSG Seat Leon. SO starting with the good points:-
The engine is marvellous. Powerful, punchy, quiet and that's without utilising the 'S' mode on the auto box. Economy is best of any non hybrid petrol car I have ever driven of any size(wife's Yaris Hybrid beats it). 56-58mpg on motorways with aircon running. That is mixed motorway speeds and keeping below 80mph if at all possible. Urban, A roads etc. seems to drop to about 47-48 mpg. It is very comfortable to sit in for long drives and quiet on decent roads at any speed. The tech side is very good but the Sat Nav can be a bit flakey and the pronunciation of some major English towns is a bit of a joke at times. Android Auto works pretty well as does the MMI system and I seem to have retained the free trial of sim card. The trim materials are good. Also still no sign of needing a service on the car dash which I have been assured is what you go by.
Now the not so good and a bit disappointing. The ride on the standard suspension and 17" alloys is too hard and joggly for my taste. I have to say at this point I am of an age where I have no interest in handling at speed and just want safe and comfortable and quiet. And on that point I find the suspension noisy. It bumps in and out of potholes, and our town roads are full of them, making a lot of clonking noise at the back end in particular, probably the rear suspension. And before you ask I've tried it with an empty boot!
All in all I really like it and although I prefer the looks of the Leon I think it just edges it despite the (only) slightly higher cost on a PCP plan.
Dave
P.S. When will manufacturers make a primer paint to roughly match the exterior colour. I'm fed up with dark coloured cars showing up the white primer below with the merest of hairline scratches!

Reactions: KenL
What trim level is your car - SE or Sport (or S-Line)?

If Sport, we found that suspension too hard during test drive (certainly on country roads) so opted to spec the SE suspension, which is much better.

Sport trim but I also specified the softer SE suspension (I was told that was the default on the Sport trim and you had to specify the harder). Whether they did that or not of course I can't be sure!

That’s not true. Sounds like you have Sport suspension. I think you should be able to find out from the codes in the front of the handbook.

I thought the firmer suspension was only standard on the sline ???

I have an SE on 16 inch wheels and find the ride to be comfortable, but then I came from driving MINIs and they have pretty hard suspension.

No, there are different ride heights and firmness for SE, Sport and S-Line (not sure about S model, but would assume that is a further harder/lower option)
Changing from one to another is a free option. Not sure what possibilities are available (eg, not sure you could have an SE with S-Line suspension)
But you can certainly have SE suspension on a Sport because that’s what I have.

It must be that dealer didn't bother to fit standard suspension and went with sport suspension.

I got mine on standard suspension and 205/55/R16 and now I am riding on 225/35/R18 and the ride is still not too uncomfortable (more comfortable than my 8P sport on 225/45/R17).

Good review mate, the 1.0 tfsi is Audi’s best kept secret. Trust me, when you want some power it definitely delivers.

Very interesting review. I had a 2014 1.4 tfsi sportback which I loved. When they introduced the 1.0 tfsi I thought it would be terribly underpowered, but apparently not. And the economy you’re getting is amazing. Quite agree about the suspension, but I’m wondering whether there has been a tweak with the facelifted A3 because my wife has a FL A3 cabrio S-Line and I think it is better than my pre-FL sportback which had SE suspension. We’re touring South Devon in the cabrio at the moment (perfect in this never-ending sunshine) and I’m finding it a very comfortable ride, even with the s-line suspension.