Facelift My First 275 Mile Round-Trip in the S3

desi112

Reaction score
Website
www.globalsoundrecords.co.uk
Hi Guys,

After owning my S3 for around 3 weeks I've finally had the opportunity to take it on a long'ish road trip from the Midlands to Manchester and back again. I have an 18 Plate Audi S3 S Tronic Black Edition [Tech] Saloon in Ara Blue. I thought I'd make this thread to let you know my thoughts and get some feedback on some questions I have.

So the journey begins at 10am! I've just got on to the M6 and the first thing I notice about the S3 compared to my other car (Audi A3 8V Non-Facelift 2.0 TDI S Line S Tronic) is how smooth the ride is! Don't get me wrong the A3 has a great ride but the S3 just feels so much smoother and quieter.

As I am driving I take a look at Google Maps Satellite View and this always impresses me! As I am driving I notice I have an icon saying "TMC PRO" and then a few minutes later I notice it says "Online" instead, not sure what this means?

As I continue driving now through the 50mph road works I notice the MPG is increasing I can't believe I am getting 38.0+ Mpg with the A/C , I look at my estimate range and it's advising me I can get around 425 Miles on a full tank which is good considering the A3 estimates around 550 miles.

I start to tweak the audio settings on the B&O system but I have to admit I am slightly disappointed at the sound quality, the thought of having a subwoofer really excited me but I wanted to feel the bass in my chest! I wanted a system that is super loud but also refined, as I turn the sub-woofer control to max I can see the back windscreen vibrating as I drive. I decide its probably best to lower the bass, I start adjusting the surround sound level which sounds like it has improved things. As I flick through the tracks on the MMI I am glad I have spotify set-up with my car so I can listen to my playlists on the go! I'm currently using google maps on my phone for Sat-Nav as I'm not 100% confident yet with the built in Navigation and as I drive I notice that google maps satellite view just stops working all I can see is a 2D....I keep trying to get it switched back on but nothing...oh well I guess I'll sort this out when I stop.

As I pull into the M6 Toll I park a little too far left as I really don't want to damage my alloys I now can not reach the receipt , as I open my door I hear a loud scrape!! Shock/Horror goes through my head what have I just done!? I've only had the car for 3 weeks and don't tell me I've already scratched the door!

As I pull away from the M6 toll I am thinking what have I just done? How bad does the door look? Will I have to get the door repaired? As I drive I try to calm down and start to think maybe its just scrapped the bottom of the door.

As I keep driving I start to appreciate the power of the engine and switch from Eco mode back to Comfort I tease the acceleration a bit (sticking to the speed limit of course :) ) and feel the power I posses and the pops from the exhaust system!

I get the the services and get out the car, preparing for the worst I look at the door and luckily not a mark! However when I run my fingers across the bottom of the door I can feel it is slightly scrapped but as I get down on my hands and knees I can't see anything so I guess I got lucky here! I spend after 7 - 10 minutes inspecting the door and feel relieved that it's all okay!

As I get back into the car I take a look at Audi Connect and check the weather and info, I get into Manchester all okay!

The drive back was pretty uneventful the car averaged 38mpg on a 275 miles which I was happy with! As I'm driving I start to think why do I need to see the Oil Temperature in two places on the audi dashboard? especially when they are right underneath each other. I then start to think of the Jag XE R line I was going to get and remember that when it is in sports mode the whole display changes to red! As I drive a long I think why didn't Audi do something like this? I don't think it would be hard as all they would need to do it change the colors of the existing graphics...

As I continue driving I have more thoughts wondering what does the Turbo Gauge actually show?

I hope you enjoyed reading this :)

Reactions: Jcbmally, TonkS3, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
:thumbs up: sounds good!

I believe TMC Pro is for updating traffic information on the nav. When it switches to online you are connected to Audi's online traffic updates which is meant to be better than TMC Pro.

I agree that the B&O system takes a bit of tweaking to sound good - I found I had to turn surround sound down quite a bit as well as change the optimisation to improve the sound for the driver and not the whole car. It's your rear view mirror that is vibrating like crazy under bass, not the rear window :rockwoot:

If you have the virtual cockpit set to sport mode then it does display the oil temperature - the temperature gauge on the dash is for your coolant. Its generally advisable that you let the oil temp reach 80 degrees before giving it the beans :) don't go off the coolant temp gauge.

Turbo gauge shows the amount of boost you are generating. I kind of use it to judge the pickup your're going to get when you plant your foot and if I'm occasionally trying to drive economically it lets me know if I'm being heavy footed. Most of the time its just a nice graphic to look at :yum:

Enjoy the motor!

Reactions: Jcbmally