Coolant leak

niliano

Reaction score
Hi guys after some advice

Car is leaking coolant on the passenger side

Only happens when car is switched off. Can drive it fine for hours and coolant won't drop as soon as switched off 10 minutes later...a puddle

It did this a few months ago and then stopped.

I've checked pipes and cannot see a leak. The thermostat housing on the side of the block cracked but this has been changed about 8 monthes ago.

Just unsure on what else it could be? Water pump was also replaced around 18 monthes ago

Thanks in advance

If it's only happening after switch off,could it be the after-run coolant pump that circulates the coolant around the turbo?

I think that is on the passenger side.If you just switch on the ignition,without starting the car,normally you can hear the after-run coolant pump working.That may show up if it's leaking.

Hello

Thanks for the reply. Yes if I switch on ignition there is a noise but very slight. Are these hard to locate?

is the leak in front of car? there is fan switch on radiator on cars left side(looking from back of car) that may leak from gasket.
Also check the pipes that go into radiator since they are in two parts. First part is hose hooking into a plastic part and second part is the plastic part hooking into radiator with metal clip. You push it into radiator and it clamps on.

These came to mind since my own leaked from switch gasket :)

Switch is hard to see anywhere else than below the bumber. Those hoses you can see up top.
Also radiators might crack from left side low where the lower hose is connecting.

This is pretty much what I walk up to every day at the moment.

Ok guess it's a bumper off job to get to all the pipes easily?

In pretty good with this but may have to go to a mechanic to help find it lol

Attachments

• car.png
    car.png
    785.7 KB · Views: 280
or raise the car up with jack, remember to secure car so it doesnt fall off from jack over you.
You can reach over with hand and try where it is leaking. Dont burn yourself!

Yeah I'll do that when car is cold just for today im going to have to buy more coolant to keep topping it up

is your car LHD or RHD ? if its LHD then your coolant reservoir will be on passenger side and its most likely the reservoir cap that needs to be replaced, as that normally happens when the seal in the cap cant maintain the pressure anymore.

Hi the car is RHD

Im thinkingtof changing the bottle as that's been said a few times. Only odd thing is the leak is coming from the opposite side

Hi the car is RHD

Im thinkingtof changing the bottle as that's been said a few times. Only odd thing is the leak is coming from the opposite side

Plastic pipe ,where the cts is . Has a tendency to get a hairline crack . Tripping on to the top of the gearbox , worth a look !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

are you sure it's not just air con condensation you can see ? and you have a different leak causing coolant loss?

the common coolant leak is the flange on the head above the gearbox but that leaks under pressure not after the engine is off.

Just throwing this idea into the works.... check all hoses when cold to see if there’s any play where clamped/joined, just a theory but when warmed up everything expands causing things to get “tighter” as we all know. Maybe when it’s cooling down and as it shrinks again could cause a leak on a join maybe....