Wifi enabled whilst driving

Kondax

Reaction score
Tried to do a search for this but haven't had much luck.

I have a dashcam which connects to the car's wifi. The only issue with this is that wifi in the front half of the vehicle is "disabled" (just horrific signal) whilst driving and is only enabled when the car is stopped. This of course means that the dashcam struggles to hold a strong signal and constantly connects / disconnects from the wifi.

I have a carista but the option isn't there so I assume this isn't a common fix / one even doable via VCDS? Either way if anybody could share knowledge regarding this I'd appreciate it.

Worst comes to worst I could just purchase a cheap, small repeater and plug it into the cigarette socket in the back.

Is there a specific reason you need your dashcam to connect to the car's wifi while your moving? All the dashcam I have seen record on to an SD card, you only need the Wi-Fi (generated by the dashcam) when downloading clips from cam to phone.

Is there a specific reason you need your dashcam to connect to the car's wifi while your moving? All the dashcam I have seen record on to an SD card, you only need the Wi-Fi (generated by the dashcam) when downloading clips from cam to phone.
Reason being is it's only a little 16gb card, and with the 4k front cam and FHD rear cam it takes up quite a bit of storage. Having it connected to the wifi means I can store any "events" to the cloud and also access the gps / live cam which is useful.

It would also just be nice to have wifi in the front anyway. I have my phone mounted in the front and that streams music to the car, with wifi it means I wouldn't have to preload tracks before getting into the car either.

Asking a possibly stupid question, but have you bought your own SIM or a data package?

Ahh... I was wondering if you were trying to use the installed SIM, which I believe wouldn't work.
Ah, no. However you did give me the idea to maybe just purchase a small router that I could put in the center arm rest.

Reactions: davemk