Blow dry

Leevr

Reaction score
Does anyone use a leaf blower or similar to get excess water off those tricky to get to places after it Been washed? Interested as to which one to get. Cheap and easy or a little more pricey.

Does anyone use a leaf blower or similar to get excess water off those tricky to get to places after it Been washed? Interested as to which one to get. Cheap and easy or a little more pricey.
Isn't life too short to mess about like that?

Reactions: NevMan, Leevr, RichardT and 1 other person
I use a air line when I can get my car near it at our workshop. Very handy.

I've considered a cordless Makita leaf blower before, might do now my car is properly coated

Reactions: Leevr
I use a water filter for the final rinse.
Does a good job and you just leave it to dry naturally without having to put a towel to the bodywork.
All contributes to less swirls!

Drying for me is a combination of products and steps:

I first hit the drip areas (grille, side mirrors and door handles) with a handheld blower:
https://www.metrovacworld.com/product/Air_Force_Blaster_Sidekick_Car_and_Motorcycle_Dryer/overview
It says it is intended for motorcycles but works wonders on just about any area you need to get water out of. For the record, you can find one cheaper than the listed price linked. Was the first hit that came up when searching.

Once done, I use a large microfiber towel to get the entire car free of pooling water droplets:
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/pfm+terry+weave+drying+towel.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn
Towel works great as I can get the entire car done with just one pass.

Lastly, it is just a matter of going over the car with a final touch spray or similar. Really makes the Navarra blue pop. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Pook and Leevr
Does anyone use a leaf blower or similar to get excess water off those tricky to get to places after it Been washed?
Unlike some others I can appreciate where you're coming from on this.
Continually going round the car to dry off all the dripping parts messes with my OCD, and my previous car was an absolute nightmare for it....so many nooks and crannies that trapped water just waiting to drip when your back was turned. :rage:
I seriously considered buying a leaf blower and dealing with the embarrassment factor it would bring with my neighbours.
This car I find is much better....its only really around the mirrors and bottom of the doors that drip, so I can live with that. :)

Reactions: Sandra and Leevr
This car I find is much better....its only really around the mirrors and bottom of the doors that drip, so I can live with that. :)
What I didn't know is that you can push the mirrors "the wrong way" (opposite way of how folding them in).
Only found out recently, means the water can drip onto the floor and not down the paintwork!

Reactions: Ron240
I use a leaf blower after a rain water rinse. Then just leave the car to completely dry and I'm left with very minimal water marks..

Your gonna have to elaborate mate?? Threads about getting excess water from tight spots.
I will mate.

It’s obvious what the thread is about, so my question is what do you do when it rains? What’s the difference between washing your car and worrying about water in tight spots or it raining and worrying about water in tight spots? Surely the problem/issue is exactly the same?

There's a difference though! When it rains the entire car is wet... not just in a few places (mirrors, fuel cap, door handles)
There is a difference but the problem/issue is still the same.....water in tight spots.....hence my question.

I will mate.

It’s obvious what the thread is about, so my question is what do you do when it rains? What’s the difference between washing your car and worrying about water in tight spots or it raining and worrying about water in tight spots? Surely the problem/issue is exactly the same?
Because when it rains I'm not washing it. I only wash it when it's dry. Hence the need to dry it. So it looks like this.
20180714 190621 3024x1701

Reactions: Starry, S3tuart and Ron240
Because when it rains I'm not washing it. I only wash it when it's dry. Hence the need to dry it. So it looks like this.
View attachment 160482
But it will still look like that without the need to use a hairdryer on the tight spots....which nobody can see anyway.

Clearly I’m just not getting it.

I wasn’t even trying to be funny, I genuinely don’t get it. When I wash my car I do a thorough job BUT I don’t worry or even think about water in tight spots, but it still looks amazing.

I guess we all have different standards.

I wasn’t even trying to be funny, I genuinely don’t get it. When I wash my car I do a thorough job BUT I don’t worry or even think about water in tight spots, but it still looks amazing.

It's ok mate. I just find that I can do my best to dry the car within an inch of it life and after a couple of miles I have water marks strewn down the side of the car. Also it's a pain cleaning the water spots from all the honeycomb grill spaces.

The water drips though and runs down the body, door panels etc.. So need to get the water out of the tight spots.

If it didn't drip down and cause water marks. Then couldn't care less. But when it's all dry and clean and you then have water marks in a few places it just looks bad.

Reactions: Jbond312 and Leevr
It's ok mate. I just find that I can do my best to dry the car within an inch of it life and after a couple of miles I have water marks strewn down the side of the car. Also it's a pain cleaning the water spots from all the honeycomb grill spaces.
Fair comment.

The water drips though and runs down the body, door panels etc.. So need to get the water out of the tight spots.

If it didn't drip down and cause water marks. Then couldn't care less. But when it's all dry and clean and you then have water marks in a few places it just looks bad.
I get it, maybe my standards need raising a bit.

I use a water filter for the final rinse.
Does a good job and you just leave it to dry naturally without having to put a towel to the bodywork.
All contributes to less swirls!

What water filter do you use? Didn't even knew something like that existed but I know I need it in my life! (Please don't tell it's one of those big expensive ones that you have to install inside the house)

Last edited:
I use a air line when I can get my car near it at our workshop. Very handy.

I've considered a cordless Makita leaf blower before, might do now my car is properly coated
Happy birthday @MattSedg - treat yourself

Reactions: MattSedg
The missus picked one of these up for me:

EDIT: Can't seem to link to Amazon for some reason. Anyway it's a `MotoDryer - Vehicle Dryer and Duster for Detailing` on Amazon.

Been using it for a while now, does the trick. I give the car a quick whip around with it to get some of the annoying bits out. Wing mirrors, door handles, wheel nuts, etc.

For those wondering, the reason we (I anyway) want to get rid of them is because the moment you drive the car, you'll get water streaks on the panels near the places i've mentioned. It makes the car look a bit crappy and after you've spent the time to wash it, it may as well at least look spotless for a bit.

What water filter do you use? Didn't even knew something like that existed but I know I need it in my life! (Please don't tell it's one of those big expensive ones that you have to install inside the house)
It's an aqua gleam 30ppm, you can get a 0ppm version but it's unnecessary as the difference in finish is negligible and it won't last as long.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/aqua-gleam-350-mm-de-ionising-water-filters.html

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Not used that one so I can't really comment apart from the fact it's a 0ppm one that won't last as long and it still needs refilling when it runs out.
It is another option though that achieves the same result.
I am converted to using a filter, so much easier and less chance of swirls etc

The missus picked one of these up for me:

EDIT: Can't seem to link to Amazon for some reason. Anyway it's a `MotoDryer - Vehicle Dryer and Duster for Detailing` on Amazon.

Been using it for a while now, does the trick. I give the car a quick whip around with it to get some of the annoying bits out. Wing mirrors, door handles, wheel nuts, etc.

For those wondering, the reason we (I anyway) want to get rid of them is because the moment you drive the car, you'll get water streaks on the panels near the places i've mentioned. It makes the car look a bit crappy and after you've spent the time to wash it, it may as well at least look spotless for a bit.

We have terrible hard water where I am. If I do not hit the lines after the car is dry, the calcium will solidify on the paint and cannot be removed after sitting in the sun except with clay and polish. Really stinks. This is even with water treatment system as mentioned above.

May sound like additional work for some, but to keep the paint and clear coat in good shape, I have to hit the pooling water spots with air post rinse.

We have terrible hard water where I am. If I do not hit the lines after the car is dry, the calcium will solidify on the paint and cannot be removed after sitting in the sun except with clay and polish. Really stinks. This is even with water treatment system as mentioned above.

May sound like additional work for some, but to keep the paint and clear coat in good shape, I have to hit the pooling water spots with air post rinse.

Wouldn't bother whith blower, and whilst I have one (was for dog, but she is petrified of the thing), I just use the raceglaze for quick final rinse, and car can air dry, or needs a quick once over if I have the time. Used to use 2 x Chemical Guys Wooly Mammoth to dry Q5, now 1 is fine

It's an aqua gleam 30ppm, you can get a 0ppm version but it's unnecessary as the difference in finish is negligible and it won't last as long.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/aqua-gleam-350-mm-de-ionising-water-filters.html

As mentioned in other reply, I had a aquagleam 0ppm, and after 10-12 rinses, when water was tested was showing 122ppm (my water is 225+ ppm).

I now have the raceglaze 7L (link posted by @cuke2u and have also got 25L of resin for £82, so this should last me sometime. At writing, I am up to 14 final rinses, and water still 0ppm!

Reactions: Tom.H and -Ju-
This is just great! Thanks for the info guys, think I'm going for the Raceglaze version.

Reactions: Tom.H and NevMan
This is just great! Thanks for the info guys, think I'm going for the Raceglaze version.
you won't be disappointed @Lehn, and will be amazed at how much water run-off you get with 0ppm vs. normal tap water

Reactions: Lehn