Gains from intercooler upgrade, without tune?

A

AudiB720TS

Hi,
I'm playing with the idea of installing a larger core intercooler this summer (looking at Airtech).
Possibly also Golf R injectors (will be cleaning the intake ports so why not). But I am going to wait with a turbo upgrade and a new tune, at least until next year.

Can I expect any gains from the IC upgrade alone?
Will the car run fine with current tune on the higher spec injectors?

As a sidenote, my car is not stock: it has the JHM Stage 2 tune and all required hardware.

Many thanks

You may see some gains from a larger intercooler but they will be minimal until you up your boost levels.

Have you upgraded your hpfp? I wouldn’t put bigger injectors in until you fit a big/hybrid turbo. You’d just run the risk of over fuelling and running rich.

If I were you I would go with the intercooler upgrade but hold off on injectors until you go for a bigger turbo and tune to suit.

Out of interest, what mods have you got at the moment? Have you upgraded your clutch? What power/torque figures have you achieved?

Reactions: Rob Avant
The car is not dynoed yet, but I am hoping to be in the 270-280 bhp ballpark.

Mods are: BMC panel filter, RS4 rear anti roll bar, PowerFlex bushings, GFB DV+, 034M HFC, Milltek Sport catback, Autotech HPFP, JHM Stage 2 tune.

Also have colder spark plugs and a silicone turbo inlet hose to install this summer.

Reactions: Dan_Avant
Gather the parts and hit it one time !!

Reactions: Rob Avant
@RS4B5 That's exactly what I've done. Got everything to go to stage 3, its just hard finding the time to fit it all!!

Reactions: RS4B5
That way it won't be small improvements in power but one huge slap in the back!

You can't fit bigger injectors without a remap.

I had the JHM tune before I went stage 3 and had some similar mods.

An intercooler does nothing for horsepower gains unless you are losing power due to heatsoak. It usually works out best in the summer months but you will need it for stage 3 once you get there. Same with the injectors. Stage 2 really can't use them. The smaller K-03 just doesn't demand enough to use the injectors. You can get them and have them put in and get them scaled in but at that point you're just wasting time and money because they're not being used to their full potential.

Is that Airtec intercooler a Plug&play swap?? I'm looking for an upgrade for my B7 1.9TDI, but (besides the DarksideDevelopments small IC kit) haven;t seen any decent upgrades available