Dashcam installed!

Buxton2901

Reaction score
So I installed a dashcam today but I'm not happy with the cable routing as the only 12v power source seems to be in the arm rest.
Meaning the cable has been routed under the headliner then under the a Pilar trim under the dash and long the centre console which is ok as its tucked away, but then the cable has to come up on the outside of the centre console trim and into the arm rest. Looks tatty imo.
Is there a better way to wire this up?
I know you can get a hardwire kit which will mean I could wire it into the fuse board on the passenger side of the dash.

Some pics attached
b03e4da72078619fbc2571bf773917c0.jpg
15785516dda47cfbdd2bf36853afdf36.jpg
794af6584d574351dd8f890f360626de.jpg
99972e27e5f3390c43e394bbce5baeb9.jpg
8fe41beb080c6199fee94739a71eb2d0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spiedhermonkey
Looks discreet enough from the outside. Which one did you go for?

Reactions: Buxton2901
I have a bit of a reputation for collecting magic trees lol
Last time I had my A4 in for an MOT they took them all down and I wasn't a happy bunny!!!

Reactions: fcbsoci and DonkeyIce
What's the orange bits on the camera ?

Would be even more discreet if you had a top tint .

2018 02 11 070446

It's the ****** writing on the cam. Says 1080p and something else. Might try to colour it In with a black Sharpie pen lol

Yeah alot of cameras are like that , bright red lense housings etc .

The culprit..

7109QXb6QmL._SL1500.jpg

That's the one roav is the brand.
Video quality is fantastic though

Reactions: Spiedhermonkey
If you run the cable down the passenger side of the car, there is a fuse box at the end of the dash. I added a life feed from there for mine.

How did u wire it into the fuse box?
And which fuse did u use?
Cheers

How did u wire it into the fuse box?
And which fuse did u use?
Cheers

I used one of these connectors that plugs into the fuse block so you can take a live feed. If you need on drop me your address via a message on here and I can send you one out

IMG_0281.jpg

I recently did my own custom install ... tied into the power in the sunroof module. Drilled a little hole in the mirror cover for the USB power cable. Very clean.

I tried posting a link to another forum where I posted it, but the site thinks I am trying to spam. I will post pics later.

As above - but run to the drivers side, or at least, check fuses on either side power off after ignition is off (may take a minute or two) - i believe that the passanger side only has live all the time fuses, drivers side has both.

Mine runs from the drivers side (with piggy back fuse tap) onto a hardwire kit (from Amazon), up the A pillar (the edge nearest the door) and then UNDER the airbag and A-Pillar trim and then tucked into the headliner. The only wire I see is when I open the door, can just see it making its way from fuse box to A pillar.

Hey Buxton,

My install is pretty similar to yours, I honestly don't mind it but if you want it running whilst parked, it's definitely the better option.

I recently did my own custom install ... tied into the power in the sunroof module. Drilled a little hole in the mirror cover for the USB power cable. Very clean.

I tried posting a link to another forum where I posted it, but the site thinks I am trying to spam. I will post pics later.
Would be interesting to see this.