A3 2009 Sportback Rumble/Vibration at 3000rpm to 3500rpm

Liam Forkings

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently had an impact with a curb and ever since at 3000rpm to 3500rpm their is a rumble/vibration coming through the drivers side of the car.

I happens in every gear at 3000rpm but I dont think it does it when im stood sill and rev the engine.

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this.

Many Thanks,
Liam

Could be just a wheel bearing cream crackered at the least. Also check the wheel is not warped, you can do this at a tyre dealer by asking him to try and balance it, it will be obvious on the balancing machine if it warped and if your lucky a wheel weight may have fallen off.
If you hit one of the front wheels on the kerb then maybe more serious, such as driveshaft damage or even a gearbox problem.
Cheapest option is have the wheel checked first.

Could be just a wheel bearing cream crackered at the least. Also check the wheel is not warped, you can do this at a tyre dealer by asking him to try and balance it, it will be obvious on the balancing machine if it warped and if your lucky a wheel weight may have fallen off.
If you hit one of the front wheels on the kerb then maybe more serious, such as driveshaft damage or even a gearbox problem.
Cheapest option is have the wheel checked first.
I've replaces the following,

Driveshaft
Wishbone and ball joint
Shock absorber and top mount
Alloy
Wheel bearing

I've heard it could be engine mount? The vibration is coming from the drivers side where I had the impact.

It only happens at 3000rpm so I'm pulling my hair out to find it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I too have 2009 sportback tfsi and also have a similar vibration only occurring at just over 2100 rpm to approx 2300 rpm.
Ive not hit the kerb as far as I know, all wheels balanced etc, the vibration seems to be coming from the front a frame top of the door area if that makes sense.
It only does this while driving, 2nd or 3rd gear 20 to 25 mph is pretty bad while in our estate etc, it does this from cold and once warmed up too.
It is also doing my head in

Did you replace the Hub or is that still the original one with a new wheel bearing in? The hub could quite easily be bent.

I know i had some vibration when i had old exhaust on but i had to upgrade my dogbone mount when fitting new BCS exhaust so might ne worth looking at that