Engine buring oil and smoking

David williams

Reaction score
Morning Everyone
Have an issue with my 2006 a3, its using a bit of oil and smoking from time to time, big puff of black smoke when idle and full on rev of engine that goes quickly.

Ive noticed grey/white smoke at times mainly when going up/down hills

Had an issue last year with spark plugs failing, got a brand new ignition pack and plugs and also put in something from Halfords that stops smoking, that was last june and about 3 weeks ago had to fill oil up, 3 weeks later oil warning light on again, filled it up sunday and put the same stuff from Halfords in.

The plugs failed twice on me last year when stuck in traffic jams, I'm worried this my happen again.

Ive taken it t garage and they think its probably seals/pistons, an expensive job which they don't think is worth it with the age of the car, next week they will do an oil change using a thicker oil and a product similar to the one ive used from Halfords to see how i get on with that

The car has just done 92k, id like to think theres more life in it if looked after.

My question is,
Has anyone used thicker oil to combat similar issues? does it work and are there any side effects?
or
should i cut my loses and get another car? ideally id like to avoid this as i cant really afford one at the minute as saving for a house

thanks in advance

Dreaded oil seals would be my first thought...
But could also be worn valve seals, broken ringlands, very bad PVC or turbo seals

yes the garage has confirmed its the seals, just wondering if thicker oil would help bide time with it or best to get rid now?