Starting to plan Car after S3

Easy answer............BMW M2 Competition.
My work here is done.

Reactions: KenL
So you ban fossil fuel cars, and everything goes Electric.

The day you buy or lease your new EV, it's out of date, as the next gen battery will already be in development.

So if you buy, who is going to want buy if off you and have old technology? Car manufacturers won't want that. Governments don't want that either, as they rely on new car sales in increase the coffers.

Plus, once everyone starts charging their cars up on a night, what are they going to burn to produce the power at the power station? Air? No, so you just move the burning of fossil fuels from the car to the power station. Only, you're going to need a whole lot of power stations to be able to supply all that power. So you have Nuclear power stations (I can se the protests now) and fossil fuel power stations (more protests).

The more Nuclear you have, you have a greater risk of something going wrong. Unlikely yes, but tell that to Japan or Russia.

People think EV are great, but we only see renderings and planning in Cities where we all live don't we? No. Most of us don't, so we need a car that'll get from Glasgow to London and back, without having to charge up for 4 hours each way, and that's if you can find a free charger station. They would literally have to be everywhere.

And as for Oxford banning fossil fuel cars? Ok. Once the Diesel powered delivery trucks are banned and no food gets in, all people of Oxford will be growing their own fruit and veg, sh1tting in their own compost heap, while ploughing the local football field with horses

Brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

405bhp through rear wheels ‍♂️

And little change from £50k with no options. For that you get pretty well spec’d RS3

You'll get one mate :icon thumright:
The Country going fully electric really is decades away - the infrastructure alone required for 100% electric cars is mind boggling.
UK sales of fully electric cars is currently around 1% of overall sales & it will continue to be a slow trickle.
There are pockets of people who will embrace the technology but the majority are wary of it.
It makes sense in densly populated cities to push for electric - but as soon as you want to do any reasonable miles - hybrid beats it hands down.
Hybrid vehicles are where it will be at for the next few decades and that at least gives us petrol heads our fix - whilst saving the planet :)
Again, this is based on everyone living in a city.

Car manufacturers want us to buy cars, so why would they pilot schemes where we don't have to buy cars anymore?

I'm going to wales for a week in June. Could I then call an Uber from Darlington to wales? We could sit in the car playing cards while the car drives itself. Then I need a car to get to the local shops. Call Uber.
Then I want to go for a drive to explore the surrounding area. Call Uber
Then I want to go for a walk, starting from point X. Call Uber
Then I want to get back to the cottage. Call Uber. Sh1t no signal !!!!

Meal for 2 in a nice pub in wales = £50
Day at Zip world = £100
Uber Taxi fares for the week £2782

S0d it, I'm in. bring on the future !!!

Agreed gents!
The politicians make my blood boil with all this (and everything else to be honest).
They'll make what they consider to be all the right noises but the truth is they'll rush things in without the proper infrastructure, they'll assume everyone lives in London and they'll think up new stealth taxes to cover the drop in current VED once they've lured everyone in.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
And little change from £50k with no options. For that you get pretty well spec’d RS3

Ok, maybe a bit more

Reactions: Jassyo06
Ok, maybe a bit more

I would take a lower spec RS3 over a BMW M2 any day of the week :icon thumright:

Quattro 4 wheel drive all the way.

That M2 would be a right handful in the wet & probably undriveable in snow !

Even on dry roads as the video earlier in this thread lol :blink:

Reactions: Jassyo06, Bristle Hound, Bells and 4 others
I would take a lower spec RS3 over a BMW M2 any day of the week :icon thumright:

yes....absolutely....I did enjoy booting my old BM around a roundabout now again back in the day....but not as much as hairing around in the S3 now, and even that gets twitchy on the limit

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Snake Pliskin

That's what I don't get with M cars now. They have soo much power going through the rear wheels, the things become un-drivable. The M3 & M4 were criticised when they came out, as the rears couldn't handle all that turbo power. So what do they do? Shove (all be it de-tuned slightly) the same engine into an M2. Yes, people who wish they had driving skill will be all over Pistonheads shouting how they can now oversteer for England, and how it's such a pure driving experience. But the reality is, they'll rarely turn off the traction control, sh!t themselves when it breaks loose, and get beaten by a warm hatch in the rain.

This is why the new M5 is AWD, and future M3 & M4 cars will be AWD too. 99% of the people who buy these things can't drive them to their potential.

I test drove a 428i a few years ago. It started slightly raining. The traction control light was constantly flickering away, it was cutting power, and it kept stepping out then jolting back as the traction control kicked in. Took it back and said no thank you.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Tom.H, TYb and 3 others
Sad truth of driving in the UK these days is that there are fewer and fewer places to exploit a performance car - unless you go on a track.

I went to my SQ5 from my S3 FL as I wanted something comfy for longer journeys with a bigger boot and a bit of poke for the occasional overtake or foreign excursion.

Its done exactly what i wanted and the drive feels better which i put down to torsion v's haldex.

30 mpg does hurt a bit more than the 40 mpg i got on motorway journeys in the S3....

Reactions: Bells, Audi Bairn, PanamaS3 and 1 other person
Sad truth of driving in the UK these days is that there are fewer and fewer places to exploit a performance car - unless you go on a track.

I went to my SQ5 from my S3 FL as I wanted something comfy for longer journeys with a bigger boot and a bit of poke for the occasional overtake or foreign excursion.

Its done exactly what i wanted and the drive feels better which i put down to torsion v's haldex.

30 mpg does hurt a bit more than the 40 mpg i got on motorway journeys in the S3....

That's just it. Cars are now just too fast. BMW / Audi / Mercedes are all in a power war with each other, so the cars just get stupid power. Only with AWD car you use it all. But even then you'll need a very long stretch of road, or a track to even red line these things in 3rd gear.

That's why like you, I'll either go X3 for comfort, or Fiesta ST for fun. At least with the Fiesta you can thrash it about without needing to be going 140mph just to get it `in the zone`.

Reactions: Bells and Snake Pliskin
That's what I don't get with M cars now. They have soo much power going through the rear wheels, the things become un-drivable. The M3 & M4 were criticised when they came out, as the rears couldn't handle all that turbo power. So what do they do? Shove (all be it de-tuned slightly) the same engine into an M2. Yes, people who wish they had driving skill will be all over Pistonheads shouting how they can now oversteer for England, and how it's such a pure driving experience. But the reality is, they'll rarely turn off the traction control, sh!t themselves when it breaks loose, and get beaten by a warm hatch in the rain.

This is why the new M5 is AWD, and future M3 & M4 cars will be AWD too. 99% of the people who buy these things can't drive them to their potential.

I test drove a 428i a few years ago. It started slightly raining. The traction control light was constantly flickering away, it was cutting power, and it kept stepping out then jolting back as the traction control kicked in. Took it back and said no thank you.
have you watched the "fastest car" show on Netflix?
if not, its worth it (not just about cars).....but anyway the winner winning says all that needs to be said on this side debate :)

405bhp through rear wheels ‍♂️

And North of £60k lol better getting a M4 competition pack besides both cars are extreme and not daily drivers
Driven the the M4 cp and the M2 there so raw like and the ride is terrible on most British road surfaces oh l forgot the slightly unattractive 2 series interior

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Snake Pliskin
Stuttgart this week for a trade show and thinking about sneaking away for half a day to go to the Porsche museum

I want one of these

2666561B C11E 4B97 9FB0 AB66B9876C08

Reactions: SPIKE_, Audi Bairn, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
And North of £60k lol better getting a M4 competition pack besides both cars are extreme and not daily drivers
Driven the the M4 cp and the M2 there so raw like and the ride is terrible on most British road surfaces oh l forgot the slightly unattractive 2 series interior

True, especially how you spec up tour cars It does take some “driving” skill just trying to avoid the potholes on this island

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06
Yukky yuk

Looks like they didn’t have enough blue pigment, and then ran out of washed out blue and finished with orange

Reactions: Jassyo06
After many years of performance cars.. I think my next will be a humble Golf Gti PP dsg.. not that powerfull but powerfull enough.... not that exciting but exciting enough.. looks good with the upgraded alloys.. well equip.. responsible with a good discount (15.9% from one dealer) .. good mpg.. good classless image.. excellent all round car..

Reactions: KenL, TDI-line, Audi Bairn and 4 others
After many years of performance cars.. I think my next will be a humble Golf Gti PP dsg.. not that powerfull but powerfull enough.... not that exciting but exciting enough.. looks good with the upgraded alloys.. well equip.. responsible with a good discount (15.9% from one dealer) .. good mpg.. good classless image.. excellent all round car..

I totally agree.

The current Golf GTi with PP is a stunning car & package.

I've wrestled with the prospect of getting one for the exact reasons you note ... & yes the upgraded alloys really set these cars off a treat :icon thumright:

Reactions: KenL, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
I totally agree.

The current Golf GTi with PP is a stunning car & package.

I've wrestled with the prospect of getting one for the exact reasons you note ... & yes the upgraded alloys really set these cars off a treat :icon thumright:
Really nice looking cars with lots of standard kit. Some great lease deals out there as well.

Reactions: KenL, Audi Bairn and Snake Pliskin

Always have a soft spot for a GTI, having had a few, and 1st decent car was a Golf 2 1.8 GTI :)
Not the fastest, but as you say “good enough” and PP is nice option

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and TYb
Always have a soft spot for a GTI, having had a few, and 1st decent car was a Golf 2 1.8 GTI :)
Not the fastest, but as you say “good enough” and PP is nice option
Saw a 3 door in silver white the other day it looked lovely

Reactions: NevMan
I'm still really enjoying my S3 but thinking I would like something more refined, with a bit less road roar/tyre noise on the motorway for my next car. Been thinking maybe an M5 or RS4 Avant.

I'm still really enjoying my S3 but thinking I would like something more refined, with a bit less road roar/tyre noise on the motorway for my next car. Been thinking maybe an M5 or RS4 Avant.

Yeah so would I but that’s a HUGE jump in price !

Yeah so would I but that’s a HUGE jump in price !
This RS4 B9 for whatever reason doesn't do it for me and with 444 bhp it's power to weight ratio is too close to the RS3, car should have 500 bhp obviously Audi will introduce a RS4 performance/plus

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Audi Bairn and NevMan
I tell you what the all new mini is now a very striking looking car with full led lights all round "big draw for me" love that union jack rear light cluster design as well, a Cooper S or the JCW in the correct colour and spec will be at least worth a look from myself

Reactions: KenL and NevMan
I tell you what the all new mini is now a very striking looking car with full led lights all round "big draw for me" love that union jack rear light cluster design as well, a Cooper S or the JCW in the correct colour and spec will be at least worth a look from myself

Sorry bud but I need to disagree on the rear lights, think they look a bit naff imho. As an option upgrade for those that want them not a standard feature. As a previous Mini owner it would put me off another one for sure.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Sorry bud but I need to disagree on the rear lights, think they look a bit naff imho. As an option upgrade for those that want them not a standard feature. As a previous Mini owner it would put me off another one for sure.

I do like the looks of the new mini they are far from bland and if specced properly they can look the nuts plus in jcw form pretty fast, l also could get a great deal on one via ye know who lol
I just think Audi's in general are getting so blinkin bland the way l see it is, there's only going to be 3 different types of dashboard layouts from audi now A8/A7/A6 all touchscreen, A5/A4/ fixed screen MMI dial"new A3 won't have the new 3 screen layout" it will get a updated version of the A4's dash layout, finally TT/R8 then there's the seats.... All the blinkin same design throughout the range, it just stinks of cost cutting, the only area where Audi do still set the trend is in there external lighting designs for example the new A7 that is off the scale and sets the new A7 apart from the rest of the pack

Reactions: Audi Bairn, KenL, NevMan and 1 other person
I had a mini cooper s and while it was good fun to drive but the worst build quality of any car i've owned.

I think a Mini would be ok as a 2nd fun car to thrash about in ... but not a main car imo.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I think a Mini would be ok as a 2nd fun car to thrash about in ... but not a main car imo.

So what yer saying is l have got resign myself TOO overly expensive bland German cars with either 4 Intertwined circles or with the letter V mounted on top of a W............nah.....ma juices ain't flowin with this in mind.... **** being a Daytona/Lapiz Seagull....l like something you can make yer own without it costing over £40,000

Last edited:
Reactions: Snake Pliskin and NevMan
So what yer saying is l have got resign myself TOO a overly expensive bland German cars with either 4 Intertwined circles or with the letter V mounted on top of a W............nah.....ma juices ain't flowin with this in mind.... **** being a Daytona/Lapiz Seagull....l like something you can make yer own without it costing over £40,000
can you get them speedy xdrives in exclusive colours?

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06
So what yer saying is l have got resign myself TOO overly expensive bland German cars with either 4 Intertwined circles or with the letter V mounted on top of a W............nah.....ma juices ain't flowin with this in mind.... **** being a Daytona/Lapiz Seagull....l like something you can make yer own without it costing over £40,000

You can certainly “individualise” Minis without breaking the bank. Funny enough was toying with a JCW (not latest released model) as a 2nd car, but we decided we didn’t need a 2nd car right now, so P/X’d A6 for new Q5 . A real shame that black pack not available (at least in UK) but next time.

I had a Cooper a few years ago as 2nd car, and often opted for it over my 325 at the time

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06

Just been looking at some vids of this M2 Cp....on looks alone its a stunning looking thing....different league from a RS3 ...in this respect,and that's what sells car's more than anything else....style and looks

Just been looking at some vids of this M2 Cp....on looks alone its a stunning looking thing....different league from a RS3 ...in this respect,and that's what sells car's more than anything else....style and looks

I think we all like different things mate as the BM’s just don’t do it for me ... too brash & in ya face & I just can’t shake the ‘fleet’ image & the M cars whilst I appreciate them, they are too loud looking for me. Not quite in the way Subaru’s used to be a decade or so ago - but you know what I mean.

They don’t turn my head but every Audi I see does - the Audi styling is just more me. It could be perceived as more boring that’s where an S3 or RS3 wins for me - you get the go with just enough show.

Same all through the range hence why I’m on my 4th Audi now in 10 years. Saw a new shape S5 today & again I thought hmm that looks nice. It would take a lot to steer me away from the brand tbf.

Reactions: NevMan and Audi Bairn